Any Treadmill Experts out there?

1. I've decided that I want a good treadmill for Christmas, so this weekend I plan on checking some out with my bf. I really don't know much about treadmills so does anybody have suggestions? I plan to mainly use it for running and would like to stay in the $700-1200 range. I keep reading mixed reviews online so it hasn't been very helpful..

Any good or bad reviews are appreciated! That way I can at least narrow it down, maybe.

2. I would love to help, but the one I own is a bit higher in price point.

Just make sure you find one that works well for both you and your bf weight-wise. That was the issue I had with my husband and then, of course, me. I had to spend more than I had planned, so that the treadmill could handle the pounding of his weight.
  3. Gotcha, what kind did you buy and what was the price if you don't mind me asking? I would like to talk him into letting me spend more but we'll see. My parents and my bf don't think I'll actually use it often..I will have to prove them wrong!! lol

We are both thin so weight shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you!
  4. I have a treadmill at home and I rarely use it. I use the one at the gym instead. I always get distracted when I am at home.

So don't spend much on it if you are "likely" not to use it often and not just "at the moment" thing.

The best way, is have a gym membership. Go there everyday(or maybe 5 days a week)...treat it as a JOB.
  5. I have a nordic track (no clue what model but I don't think they get very good reviews even though I love mine) that was originally 999 - I think it was a sears return or something because I bought it there 1/2 price over 5 yrs ago - approx 6-7 yrs ago. It's still going!! My husband, my stepdaughter & I use it. We run & walk. It has had a couple minor things through the years that needed fixing but my husb fixed them - like making a funny noise. Worth every penny!! A friend of mine also got a great deal on a used gym treadmill for under $1k. Hers still works as well & she's had for about the same timeframe. I think hers is a startrac. I'd go try them in person. The track on mine is nice & wide VS my MILs which is so narrow I know i;d hurt myself on that thing if I tried to run.
  6. I have a PaceMaster. I read reviews about treadmills in Runners World and it was between the PaceMaster and True. I got the PaceMaster, because that was the one my husband liked better. We bought a commercial treadmill. It was a bit over $3000-but we both run on it daily and wanted it to hold up. PaceMaster has a great warranty with it as well.
  7. I bought a Nordic Trak about 10 years ago and I swear that thing goes like it's brand new. I think I paid about $1100 for it at the time. There was a Nordic Trak store in one of the malls here and they only sold that brand of fitness equipment. That store is gone now so I don't know where you can buy them.

We bought an elliptical trainer last month at Fitness Resources (it's a chain, I think) and they had a lot of treadmills on display, if that helps at all.
  8. I've been looking at nordictrak, that's definitely an option.

I actually think that I will use the treadmill more than my bf and parents assume. I really want one! Sometime I go running with my boyfriend but he's a big time runner so it's hard to keep up, lol.

Also, I'm not a big fan of going to the gym because I am usually too tired to get changed after work and head there, so my gym memberships have gone to waste since I started working.

Thanks for all the info so far!! :smile:
  9. i have a proform and did a ton of research before purchasing. main features for me were making sure it had a decent incline and speed variations, shock absorbers (im a runner too, this saves your knees), programmable workouts, and a fan! but i also spent more than what you were looking to spend. my orig budget was around there, but i always end up spending more....
    i do however use it almost everyday
  10. Which model do you have? I am willing to spend more but just initially want to start looking at that price range. Thanks!
  11. honestly i have to go home and look. but mines a few years old :smile: