Any runners out there?

1. I am planning on running my first 10k and half-marathon in a few months and was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom/advice?

I seemed to have developed a problem where I need to take a walk break in the first 15-20 minutes of my run but after that I can run for long distances/periods of time. I'm thinking this is just a mental thing though right?

2. I'm training to run a half-marathon in March. I'm actually using Jeff Galloway's guide and training schedule. He has some good tips, in case you want to check it out. His website is Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway: Your Complete Running Resource. Marathon Training, Half Marathon Training, 10K Training.

DH (who is training with me) also bought one of his books from Amazon recently, though I haven't read it yet.

Jeff Galloway promotes a run/walk technique to help with endurance for long distances and also helps to prevent injury. DH and I do a 3/1 run/walk (we run for 3 min, then walk for 1 min). Many people find that the walk breaks actually help to improve their time, while helping them to feel good all the way to the finish line.

When running it's hardest to get started. Once you've been going awhile, you tend to get in a zone, which is probably why you find that you need less walk breaks later in your run.

Good luck with your training!

3. My word of wisdom is pick someone out in the crowd and follow that person...you know you can beat them at the end of the race. Get a good nights rest and eat a nice balanced meal the night before. Always know that you can pick a person in the crown that you can beat...this is a great energy & motivating booster!

4. I have run a couple half marathons and will be running my third this Feb. I also run various 5 and 10 Ks every year.

The night before, I always eat a carb filled dinner, maybe pasta, veggies and chicken. I also drink a lot of water during that entire day and I go into the gym for a light work out to stretch out my legs, this usually is a short run for 15 minutes and some walking. Eat a light breakfast, maybe a protein bar in the morning. GO to the bathroom right before you race...in the past, I have run a 10 K without doing this and had to use it minutes into the race. It took at least 2 to 3 minutes off my time since others were in line too!

During the race, do not start off running full speed. Keep a pace that is comfortable to you. Know that you will have the energy at towards the end to speed up if necessary. Have fun, you will totally enjoy the end of the race...it is such a great accomplishment!!

5. I've run a half marathon and followed a book from Runner's World by Amby Burfoot.

AmbyBurfoot

My friends loved Galloway's training advice and if I remember correctly, he advocates the walking. I think the walking can be a mental thing.
    Runner's World has a great website and you can receive daily email tips, etc.
    Find a good running partner: one who won't wimp out on you on a daily basis.
    Keep a journal and track your mileage. Mostly, it has to come from within. If you don't have the desire, you won't do it.
    It almost becomes a drug, an addiction.

6. Love to run! I try and run at least 3 days a week.

7. Oh I used to run, sprained my ankle skiing almost two years ago (mar 05)and have been a complete slug ever since. Gained so much weight I can't hardly recognize myself. I guess from being depressed, which I will NOT take medication for personal reasons. I've decided that I'm slowly going to lose some weight and start exercising again, however I'm unable to motivate alone. Plus, it being 30 degrees or cooler out doesn't help...I think I may have SAD.

So, I used to run, would love to again, never ran in races, just for fresh air and exercise. Your post has inspired me to start thinking its possible again.:yes:

8. I'm still sort of a beginner, I only run about 10-12 miles a week, but it seriously is the best exercise ever - I've maintained a 25-lb weight loss since August just by running and eating not horribly. I love this thread!

I haven't tried walk breaks, though. At the moment I can run about 3 miles at a time without stopping to walk, and it sounds silly but to me stopping to walk feels almost like a failure. But on the other hand, I've heard that interval training (like the 3/1 that BagLuver mentioned) is actually better for you both cardiovascularly and for your joints. Maybe an alternating program would work better?

Also, do you all use running as your primary cardio or do you go to the gym and use other machines as well?

9. On the New York Road Runners Club website is a link to some sample training programs, designed by Hal Higdon. I know a lot of people swear by running/walking combinations, but to train for a half-marathon you really need to get used to running without stopping or walking or anything. Learning how to pace yourself is THE most important thing to do in training for a distance race. Periodic interval training will definitely help your speed development. But just being able to run eight to ten miles without stopping or walking -- and yes, that does mean running more slowly sometimes -- will be key to getting through a half-marathon and beyond. I've run four half marathons, it's my fave distance.

10. I have just recently started running; it was something I always wanted to be able to do but never really tried. Cristina (THANK YOU!!!) had posted awhile back about coolrunning.com and I have been doing their 'Couch to 5K' plan...I am on week 5 and I am really enjoying it! I have come to love running. I can't wait until I am back in the US so that I can do 5K and then hopefully work myself up to 10K!

I totally agree!!!

11. Bagluver, that advice is great!!!! I will do that and see how it works out for me.

Good luck on the marathons!!!

12. Glad I found this thread!

13. Lauralee, Looking into couch to 5k as I type this!!! Changes must be made!:yes:

14. Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful!

I love the run/walk. Some of my friends who are experienced runners recommended it - they have used it in marathons and halfs.

Just to clarify, you use scheduled intervals (3/1 works well for me, but you can choose what works for you), and you use this in the race, too, not just when training. It works great!

Good luck!

15. This is also my approach to running. Years back, a friend who is an avid runner also recommended running schedules and provided me with a few he had obtained from his local road runners club. My focus in developing stamina and improving my pacing was to follow the training schedule without walking or stopping. Once I was able to tackle the shorter distances without walking, it became easier to run the longer training sessions.