Any ProActiv users out there? A true acne cure?

monablu said:
I actually had some acne scarring from my teenage acne nightmare and after one month's use of Mederma for scars at night (which was only a couple of bucks at the grocery store) they ALL went away and never came back.

Recently my massage therapist mentioned that she wanted to get microdermabrasion for her scars and I told her to get mederma first because it's cheap and totally works and is better for your skin than microderm. and so she tried it, and my next appt with her she was smiling ear to ear because her scarring had gone down aat least 50%!

now if mederma would actually work for stretch marks I would be a happy camper! :smile:

Wow! I'm so excited to try this stuff out. Let's hope it works for me!

I never used Pro-Activ but someone I know did and it worked as long as she kept using it. Once she stopped, the acne came back.

I used many products and NOTHING helped me 100%! The only thing that worked somewhat and lessened my acne were oral antibiotics. I would NOT recommend them unless you have very bad acne. I suffered from acne for over 10 years now and I was going to do anything to get rid of it.

Well, I kept taking the antibiotic for almost two years until I got REALLY bad pain in my joints, which was a result of a severe allergic reaction. I am not kidding when I say that I could barely walk and bend my arms and legs. Once I got off the drugs, the pain disappeared.

At first, even more acne came back but then disappeared a little later. I still get a few pimples here and there but nothing like I had before. Good news, yes...I just wish I didn't have to abuse my body so much to get these results.

If I had such a bad reaction to a "less-destructive" antibiotic, what would happen if I was taking Acutane? Gosh, that drug is SO bad! I don't think I would have ever tried it...

I used it for about six months. It does work but if you have used Retin -A for about 10+ years like I did it makes your skin peel. I had to stop using it because even though my skin was clear I would have severe peeling around my mouth so now I switched to this Murad treatment. It is just like Proactive except it does not use benzol peroxide so it is much gentler on your skin. It takes longer to work on acne but since I have been on it for six weeks without peeling I will still continue to use it. My skin is not as clear as it was while I was on the Proactive but it beats being self concious about my face. If I am still not happy in six months I may go back to the proactive.

harlem_cutie said:
I tend to have stress-related breakouts. I used Proactiv and ended up looking like a tomato! It turns out i have sensitive skin. The Murad line combined with a weekly steam cleaning turned out to work wonderfully for my skin.

How do you steam clean your face? I would like to try.

I used ProActiv for about almost a year! I love it, but then like someone said my skin got immune to it! So I switched to something else, and it works as well, but I miss my ProActiv!

I think ProActiv works as long as you drink tons of water, and dont sleep too late! Also once you start, its sort of bad to stop, but when its under control switch to a different regime.

About one and half month ago something went horribly horribly wrong with my skin. i have always been very lucky in the acne department...my skin has always been one of my best features, but all of sudden i had a few big painful underground cysts as well as the the yucky whitehead ones all over my chin!!! my dermatologist perscribed the Differin! First 2 weeks, it became even worse, more pimples came out....i was freaked out!!! anyway, now im using clean&clear acne control cleaner, Shisido moisturizing lotion, and proactive moisture with sunscreen!! so far so good!!

harlem_cutie said:
It took about 2 months for the redness and peeling to go away. It looked like a facial peel gone terribly wrong:sick:

Murad is by Howard Murad and I use the acne line. I use the gentle cleanser and the exfoliating acne treatment~about $22 each.

They sell it as a kit kinda like proactiv but I only use those two pieces from the line.

L1152106.jpg

funny story, I was in Bath & Bodyworks buying lotion and a really great SA saw me and recommended it. He had the same issue. He hgave me samples to try for a week and it began to work right away :yes: so I came back and bought it.

i agree with this, i got this kit free in some magazine contest awhile ago and figured it wouldn't do anything, but i noticed a huge improvement in my skin. i stopped using it and tried using something more accessible [the only place i've seen this is online...] but nothing really has seemed to work that well.

if nothing seems to work, give tea tree oil a shot. it hasn't cleared up my skin but it works for tons of people. you can find this at a health store, such as super supplements, and is really affordable. [about $6-8 for the essential oil].

good luck with proactiv, hopefully that'll work well for you. :]

well i dont use it firsthand because ive always had pretty good skin but i got some for some of my clients (professional NBA and NFL football players). some of them were really young and still hadnt gotten past that breakouts stage in life other just had bad skin aggravated from all the sweat adn oil and bad air on flights....

well i swear to you im a believer...its dries their skin out the first couple of days, nothing drastic or worse than it looked already and then it REALLy cleared up! i swear to you....the stuff works!

i used proactive for uabout a year. it was a slightly itchy at first but not unbearable. all the itching went away after a day or two. but overall it worked wonders on my face. oh and combine it with 1 or two facials helps too. also after about a year i stopped using it because my acne went away.