any other allergy sufferers out there??

1. I have really bad seasonal allergies and I have been taking Claritin D, the side effects are killin me. My heart beats really fast and I get very anxious, not to mention it put me in a bad mood. A friend told me to try Zyrtec. Are there anything else besides Zyrtec, as the side effects are pretty much the same as claritin. Please share if you have found one that works for you.
  2. Hm. What about Alavert?
  3. Have you tried splitting the claritin pills in half? That's what I do and I don't experience as many side effects.
  4. thanks:smile: , I've tried that one but it doesn't seem to work for me:cry: I guess my allergies are just really bad .
    Has anyone ever tried shots. I heard it could take up to years to work. thats why I never went through with it.
  5. Really you could do that.. I just googled claritin and most of the directions say don't break or crush the pills take them as is. :huh: I'm scared..
  6. My allergies are horrible. I have tried Allegra, Claritin and Zyrtec. Zyrtec by far is the best, but the bad thing is it makes me incredibly drowsy. My doctor tells me to take it at night, so I sleep off the drowsiness side effect and allow the pill to work for the next 24 hours.

Good luck!
  7. Well I don't have two heads (yet) and I do it! I bought a pill splitter from the drug store and just did it. (I also used to run with scissors in nursery school so that probably explains why I did not read the warnings. :p )

Do this: go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if you can split the pills in half. I'm not an expert and I would not want to suggest you do something if it could harm you.
  8. Aw, sorry to hear that Kylie. I have really bad allergies, too but right now I'm taking Loratadine (which is comparible to claritin)...How about Flonase? I've heard it works, except I don't like the idea of spraying something in my nose. about Benedryl? (But not Sudafed b/c I've read one of the side effects are palpitations)...
  9. A lot of times the reason for not splitting is because the active ingredient is not evenly distributed in the pill. So cutting it in half doesn't guarantee a half dose.
  10. THanks Andrea, Roo, cate and venezia. I've tried allegra and flonase. nothing works. Looks like I'm going to give Zyrtec a try. Man I hate feeling drowsy too. But when you are in the middle of an attack, anything to appease it will do. I almost scratched my eyes out the other day they were so itchy.

I'd like to know when did allergies start for you all. I never had them before i was 17 then all of the sudden boom... I don't understand what happened.
  11. your cat looks like an egyptian mau. with the scarab marking on its head.. so cute.
  12. For really bad allergies, I recommend allergy shots. They help a lot. The other thing I like is Astelin nasal spray. It's a perscription antihistamine nasal spray and it has worked pretty well for me. Since I've had the shots I don't really get a lot of sneezing, stuffiness, etc., but now I get a lot of swelling, pain and pressure in the sinus passages. The Astelin has helped a lot--I'm not having nearly as many sinus headaches since I've been using it.

I hope you find something that works for you because allergies sure do make life miserable!

P.S. Just saw your other post--you can also get special eye drops for allergies--I think the one I tried was called Patanol (sp?). It is also available by perscription.
  13. venezia, What breed of cat is in your avatar? S/he's gorgeous!
  14. Kyliereese,

The decongestant in Claritin D would make your heart beat fast. Try to take plain Claritin (without the D ) instead. Other medications that act similary would be Zyrtec ( it does have the tendency to make you groggy like Benadryl) and Allegra. Astelin and steroid intranasal sprays like Flonase, Nasacort, Rhinocort, etc. can also be tried. You might want to talk to your physician about immunotherapy esp if the meds are not working well. It involves skin testing and injections.Hope this helps.
  15. I have bad allergies too, I never did before I had kids, then after that they get worse and worse every year. All summer long, it's like I'm sick. I tried claritin and zyrtec and the nose sprays too, they didn't really help. The only thing that sort of helps is Benadryl but of course, puts you to sleep. So, I've just been suffering with it.