Any MBAs here?

1. I'm a lawyer but have been thinking about business school for over a year now. I'm curious about the business school experience and what you have "done" with your MBA--your career path? Thanks guys!

2. I don't have an MBA but that is what I think I would like to get. I was dabbling with the thoughts of med school for a while (I started off molecular genetic/microbiology major) but decided it just wasn't for me.

So really, I wasn't helpful in this thread- but just relating to you in the fact that I'd like to get my MBA too!!

3. im in the process of getting one ... 4 more courses to go and then my dessertation .. hopefully i will be able to answer your Q in 2007 when i actually HAVE an MBA haha

4. you do a dissertation for a degree on MBA instead of a thesis? Hmm, didn't know that master's degree's do a dissertation....

5. i have an mba. i did mine right after undergrad. the b school experience was wonderful..so interesting, stressful, fun and a great place to meet lots of different people. i graduated just after 9/11 though, so the job market was pretty crappy and there weren't many firms recruiting mbas the way they had in the past. i also didn't have much work experience prior to my mba. so, i had to work my way up. it didn't take long once i had some experience though. i majored in finance which has enabled me to work in pretty much any industry. i started out in insurance and quickly became an analyst. now i've moved on to the federal government in a more finance based role that provides me the work experience i need to pursue an accounting designation. i think an mba is a very valuable degree, but you have to make it work for you, the jobs just don't come to you.

6. I have an MBA along with my Physical therapy degree, it is great if you want a supervisory position and does help you understand the business aspect of things. I can't say it has brought me a truck load of money though.

7. I have one. Do you need one? How do you feel it will help you in your career? What do you plan to use it for?

I think it is such a personal decision and you have to ask yourself some of those questions. There is a time investment involved, some work/studying, and of course the cost depending where you go.

I also feel you have to ask yourself...do you plan to marry? Will you continue working? Full time/part time? If you have kids will you work at all? Sometimes it comes down to the money you put out... will it be worth the investment and being women, we have to look at it differently then men.

I have used it to retain a solid position in the co. I am with and to receive more money. I know it will help me if I choose to leave the company, but how much so I don't know. It also helps if I want to do other things...like college professor for example. That is something I could have never done without the MBA.

I am not sure if I helped, but you have to do an analysis of your life...look at it now...in five years...then 10 years...see how it can help...if it can help...where do you want to be? What would you do with it? Where do you realistically think you will be?

8. forgot to mention, most of the lawyers i know with mbas continued to work as lawyers... not sure if that's your plan or not.

9. yeah we do a dessertation ... i think its the same thing but different names ...

10. I have an MBA and at the risk of sounding snobish I'll say that, like law school, the quality and reputation of the particular program you attend has an incredible impact on utility (recruiting oppts, social advancement, compensation; i.e. the 'lifetime impact' of the degree).

If you want to 'learn something about finance or accounting' or to advance a rung in a career you've chosen and you just need your 'ticket stamped' you could select a local progam and go for it, but if you're looking for a life changing, career altering event you need to be accepted to a top program. Second tier MBAs are worth much, much less than a top tier MBA. The drop-off is dramatic. (This is unlike Med School where it's just the credential that matters in order to establish a practice. The reputation of the med school only really matters if you want to publish or teach.)

Okay...there are about 20 'top-tier' programs spread thruout the country, but fewer in the South. Interestingly the tuition at second tier schools is often 90% of what a top tier school charges but you'll have nowhere near the options when you graduate. You can get lists in any publication, US News and BW rank them every year. IMO you don't need to parse thru the top 20 - it's splitting hairs to worry about #3 versus #6, but watch the stats drop off after a certain point and you'll see what I mean about 'tiers'.

I graduated from Northwestern, my dh from Harvard, and each experience has changed our lives. Neither of us chose to pursue money at the expense of our time with our children, so we aren't hedge fund managers :graucho: but I know the credential opened doors for me that would otherwise have stayed firmly shut. Doors that I frankly didn't even know existed.

I grew up on a farm on the Iowa/Illinois border. My father worked in a tractor factory for 35 years...I attended the Univ of Illinois - Urbana on a scholarship as an undergrad and was the first in my family to get a bachelor's degree. Ever. Still, I was working in the $40K range (10 years ago) and unable to get my break. Everything changed for me after I graduated from Kellogg. (Northwestern's B-school)

Today I have control of my career, options I never thought I'd have and we're building intergenerational wealth. Something no one in my family has done.

I'm not saying that only top schools are 'worth it' or that all of them are and there is some sort of guarantee...there isn't....but so many people don't understand the huge, huge drop-off in opp't by not attending the vetted programs. I've done alot of MBA recruiting, interviewing and hiring and I have to tell you how much the reputation of the program matters in split second decisions while sorting thru resumes. Good luck! :yes:

11. ^^^Wow! So much good advice already, summertime, kellybag such good thoughts. I would do an exec MBA program, already got a "tentative acceptance" from Duke (my undergrad) that's where I would most like to go if I commit to doing this thing and it is a huge committment! Kellybag I am married and have a three-year old, thankfully I have my DH support and my parents here as well. You guys are giving so much to think about, like I said I've been thinking about it for about a year now and really hope to just make up my mind soon, keep any and all thoughts coming!! Thanks guys!!!

12. Congratulations on your accomplishments! My boyfriend and I are applying to graduate school very soon. He is a Pre-Law student at Rice University in Houston. I am a Pre-Medical student. Medical school is very very difficult and longer, but we have also had all these discussions on how attending a great law school really matters for a great career. And it is so competitive! We are both immigrants who came to the US in the '90s when we were 4 and 9 from a lower class background. Him-Russia, me-Vietnam.

A question: in these spit-second decisions, what else stands out to you as a recruiter?

13. I was debating for a while...MBA vs PhD. Eventually I decided to do my PhD in Computer Science. I must say having a PhD most certainly helped my career growth and advancement. I think it really depends on what you intend doing in the future.

An MBA would definitely help if you were thinking of going into business. If I could turn back time....I think I may have done my MBA instead.....

I am really happy with my achievements though. If you do decide to further your education : Congratulations on your decision.

14. ilovelou....congrats on your decisions! Good luck...two 'power' careers will be a challenge but the rewards can be incredible.

I have a little different sort than most when I race thru a stack of resumes, or so I've heard. I look for people who have 'made something happen' in their lives. I'm less impressed by the St. Pauls to Princeton crowd than I am with the University of Iowa to Stanford gal.

Not that it has to be a midwestern thing ;) but I look for someone who has made positive, self directed impacts by 25. Those folks are going to keep making it happen. I try to avoid 'switchers'. It's a red flag if someone changes their undergrad major repeatedly or bails on a grad program, tries one job after another .....

Not that you can't change your mind, but when I ask why - if the answer has ANYTHING to do with it being someone else's fault or a flip critique of the program - it's over.

I've noticed the successful, dependable superstars on my team think about what they want, research, make an educated decision and then stick it out to some end. They stay in their first job for 2-3 years then move to grad school...complete the program...stay in the next job 3+ years, etc. Even today in a mobile workplace it's good to show commitment. I look for brains, brains, brains, kindness, commitment, humility and a sense of humor. Believe it or not you can sort of see that in a resume.

But there are always exceptions....lol :lol: