Any cancer survivors out there? Patients or caregivers?

1. It feels odd posting about something so personal on a public forum, but I'm hoping I'll find it therapeutic. My father was just diagnosed with leukemia - ALL - and my entire family is in freefall. We're not quite sure how he got it, especially since he's in his 60s and ALL is more common among children. He'd been so healthy otherwise, really making efforts to keep fit and strong - so this is a real shock. What also complicates things is that he's a doctor, and has spent his entire life on the other side - so he's not taking to being a patient very well. He feels so helpless. It's really heartbreaking to see a parent like this - I just wanna wave a magic wand and make it all go away.

Can anyone share their experiences, either as a survivor or caretaker? I feel so lost and upset. I've moved home, put off work, postponed my wedding, which was supposed to happen this winter... it's all so overwhelming. How do you get through it?
  2. I was a caregiver to my mother who passed from Breast cancer about 5 years ago she battled for about 3 years. I was her rock but I crumbled when I was alone. I tried to keep her spirits up and keep her smiling.

Enjoy every moment you have talk about any and everything I cherished the moments I had with mom towards the end and I am glad she was so proud of me and the woman I had become.

Sorry to hear about your dad and I will pray for you and your family.
  3. Oh gosh I am so sorry. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years ago, then went through radiation treatments which ended in about 2005 with a lower than recommended PSA level (which was great). Now he had gone back to the doctor again and his PSA level is back up again so he has another appointment coming up so they can discuss where to go from here since surgery isn't an option anymore. They might have to do more radiation which my dad is really hoping for instead of chemo.
    It's so hard and it's trying but it really brings you closer together.
    I'm keeping your dad in my thoughts and prayers. {{Hugs}}
  4. I am a cancer survivor. I can tell you that support and a positive attitude is what got me through it. I never ever expected for that to happen to me. I was 23, had no symptoms and was in the best shape I have ever been in. It's been 2 years now and I am doing great. I am a changed person in so many ways. And it brought my family so much closer. Feel free to PM me. I'd love to help in any way that I can. *Hugs*
  5. Aren't you the sweetest! Thats what helped you come thru your ordeal, your positive attitude. Big fat hugs to you!:heart:
  6. I can absolutely relate to your story! Last year, my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and at first was undergoing hormone therapy injections because surgery was not an option. But unfortunately, the hormone therapy shots stopped responding after only a few months, my dad was referred to another doctor at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. The new doctor said to start chemotherapy injections immediately because his health was failing, and PSA levels were skyrocketing. I'm so so so grateful and happy to say that his PSA levels went down drastically, and are still going down. Now instead of weekly chemotherapy injections, its every three weeks. I have faith and hope that cancer is something that can be overcome.

Prayers and thoughts to your father and your family! Lots of hugs and support, so if you feel the need to talk, feel free to PM me anytime.

7. Hi! I am glad you started this thread, I wanted to start something similar however I wasn't sure how to do it exactly.

I am truly sorry about your dad (hugs). Nobody is ever prepared to hear those words and you go through so many emotions it's difficult to know if you are sad or angry.
    My mom is a breast cancer survivor and it was pretty shocking and scary to hear the news the first time.However she made it through chemo, radiation and a mastectomy surgery and a nasty divorce during all this. She is my hero!

I tried to go to as many dr appointments, chemo and radiation sessions as I could to keep my mom company and just to make sure that I could hear what the doctors had to say first hand.

Unfortunately yesterday I received the news that my aunt has been diagnosed with breast cancer as well and this time both my mom and I have been able to give her lots of moral support plus she found it really nice to have someone to talk to and direct all her questions to regarding the treatment options and cancer itself.
  8. Today is my three year "cancer free" anniversary. There are so many great treatments. Keep the faith. Always remember to ask questions - about anything and everything. You are your own best advocate. It will be a long journey but there are things to be learned. Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

9. :yahoo:Congratulations! :yahoo:It's such a great feeling. I'm hoping for a good report Friday. It'll be my 2 year anniversary.
  10. I'm so sorry about your dad. I know how upsetting a serious diagnosis is, especially when it is out of the blue. My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this past April. One day he is fine getting ready to go on vacation, the next he is being scheduled for cancer surgery. It is pretty much a death sentence. He got his surgery & is now going through radiation/chemo. We dont know how long he'll be around. I had melanoma when I was 20. I handled it the way I do most crappy situations. Acted like nothing was going on-just refused to think about it. I'm fine.

Anwyay, big hugs & sending well-wishes & healthy vibes you/your fathers way.

11. Congrats!
  12. Congrats & I hope all turns out well :tup:
  13. Thanks so much..I really appreciate that. I hope my dad can have something similar or do more radiation. He thinks it's because they took him off the hormones too soon after (he used to have a shot every 3 months). His appointment is July 3rd so I'm hoping for the best.
  14. jbelle, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I had cancer in 2001 and am very glad to be still around. My family's unflagging support (although my dad who was in his 80s wasn't told I had cancer) helped me through my ordeal. So please do all that you can to give emotional support to your dad. Sending him my best wishes!
  15. Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Just reading your stories has already been inspiring. Cancer is such a devastating disease, to everyone it directly and indirectly effects - but it IS a consolation to know that we are not alone, and that others have been brave and fought it fiercely.

I'm trying to stay strong and positive. Sometimes it's hard knowing what role to play. My Mom's a doctor, but she gets overwhelmed wearing the multiple hats of wife, doctor, nurse, mother. At times I feel like a watchdog, always helping him mind his diet - other times I'm 'zen-master', attempting to keep everyone calm in times of panic. It's tiring!

I also don't want the cancer taking over all aspects of my dad and my family's lives. We eat together when we can - watch movies together - and chat about really trivial things like Paris getting out of jail. It's strangely soothing and keeps things on an even keel.

But there are times when I'm alone in my room - I get to thinking - and the doom and gloom takes over. I don't want to indulge selfish thoughts, but my sadness over postponing my wedding, which we've been waiting so long to do anyway, can be really difficult.