Any books recommneded for first time Mom?

1. My coworker told me yesterday that she is expecting her first baby. I thought I would get her an early gift by getting her a book on what to expect from her pregnancy. Can anyone recommend a good book?
    Thank you in advance. :smile:

2. I'd suggest getting the "The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood" by Joanne Stone.

This book is very informative. I got this during my 1st pregnancy.

3. I second this strongly!! I bought three books and have had a couple more given to me. This one is BY FAR the best. It's super-informative and factual, without being scary. Another pregnant friend was over recently, checked it out, and also thought it was better than the others she's seen.

I also have "The Mother of All Pregnancy Books" which is OK, but the organization is hard to figure out (at least for me), and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week". My friend loved the latter, but I find it kind of simplistic, and you can get the same week by week info on babycenter.com. I haven't looked at the one or two others.

4. I really enjoyed The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy.

5. The only book I used was "what to expect....". OTher than that, I used the internet for everything I wanted to know.

My husband got me a subsciption to a pregnancy magazine, Fit Pregnancy, I thought it was a great idea...it had beauty, fashion, etc. It's good to look through even after you have a baby too, for breastfeeding or other baby issues. I didn't really have a "Fit Pregnancy" lol, but i did read it cover to cover. there are a lot of great magazines out there!

6. Another book by Dr. Seuss called "Oh Baby the places you'll go"

which is a book to be read in Utero

I wish I could find my copy around the house but the last page of this book is so touching ~ any new mother would love this little book!!! It's just a small book that you could give to her along with some of the other one's listed above.

Here's the link:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/code/3387.do

7. I second this. It is a nice first read because she has a very conversational and funny tone. Another book that I swear was my bible is The Baby Bargains book. It helps you determine what you need and don't really need. It also gives ratings on brands and products based on real parents, rather than Consumer Reports wholly scientific approach (Not that I'm knocking the value of Consumer Report either). Make sure that you are buying the latest edtion of Baby Bargains though. It is updated, I believe, yearly.

8. My fave book about pregnancy/parenting was Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy. It was so real and she told it like it was, even the things that most people dont want to say b/c they are embarrassing. It was also very humorous and a quick read.

Of all the books that I read while pregnant, that is the only one that I actually remember :lol: so that says something, right.

9. I loved The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy. I also read What To Expect.... and it was ok, has a lot of info covering almost any topic you can think of. I would also recommend Secrets of the Baby Whisperer, for when that baby is driving you bonkers! (I don't care what you say, it WILL happen!)
    I have just started reading The Motherhood Club, which looks like it has potential, its for new mothers and my child is 2 1/2, but, who has time to read with a new baby, right????

10. I also love The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I've given it as gifts several times and my copy has been passed around amongst my friends.

11. I like the Dr. Sears books: The Pregnancy Book and The Baby Book. They are a little more "natural" in tone than the "What to Expect" books.

I read "The Girlfriend's Guide" and thought it was a good read, but not the kind of book I would pull out to read again and again. The Dr. Sears books are the ones I reach for over and over. HTH!

12. Oh, duh, I forgot Dr. Sears also has The Birth Book, another really good one for discussing the actual birth process.

13. My friends all seem to mention Baby-Wise? :shrugs:

14. I second the books from Dr. Sears.....excellent reads!

15. I read "what to expect..." and other pregnancy magazine the whole 9MO however I forgot to read any books regarding when the baby is out so I was clueless on that part for a while. I suggest you get her a pregnancy book and another one about the baby's first years.