any advice for a new pet parent?

1. i become a mommy tomorrow!! :yahoo: lily's been at the shelter i volunteer at since april, but i just met her two weeks ago....i don't know how i missed her for so long, but it was love at first sight. my mom took a little more convincing but today she said yes! they were able to make an appointment to spay her for tomorrow....i pick her up from the vet at 4pm!

she's a five or six year old border collie mix....she's extremely shy with new people/crowds (which is part of the reason she's been at the shelter so long) but so affectionate, quiet and sweet! she's already semi-to-completely housebroken and knows basic commands (her owner died and his kids didn't want anything to do with her or the other two dogs he had.)

of course i'll post pictures tomorrow....but in the mean time, any advice for me? i've never had a dog that was my sole responsibility....it's always been a "family" pet. i want to make sure i give her the best home possible because she deserves it!

what did you wish you knew (or were grateful you knew) when you brought your furbaby home?

2. Congratulations!!!!
    Oh, please post pictures when you get her!

Advice: Since she is older, she is house trained already right??

Just make sure you keep her water bowl full, and dont forget to feed her! ((duh!! lol))

Buy her lots of toys to keep her occupied and she will be fine! Its not a hard job.

3. Dogs need exercise, love and fun. Once she gets used to you and knows this is her forever home, take her to a class for middle aged dogs where she can learn to sit, stay and shake. Dogs love to learn and they love to please you. Some pet stores offer these classes. Also if she is shy around other dogs take your time with her when introducing her to other doggies.

4. OMG congrats!! I can't wait to see pics! I am sooo excited for you!

5. Congratulations! And thank you so much for volunteering!

6. Border Collies are so wonderful; I just know she'll become very attched to you.

7. ilzabet, it's wonderful of you to adopt Lily. You might find this website useful. It's run by two great people in England who rescue border collies and working sheepdogs:

http://www.wiccaweys.co.uk/start.html

"Help and Advice"

8. pictures!

she's adjusting to the new house really well....but i think she's kind of scared of the cats....and her crate. she doesn't know quite what to make of either one of them. :smile:

i'm smitten. :love:

Picture 016.jpg Picture 019.jpg
  9. She's wonderful!!! She'll know you are in love with her and adjust quickly. Congrats on the new baby!!!

:tup:

10. :love: She is soooo cute! Thanks for posting pictures!

11. What an adorable girl!! Congrats!! and good luck!

12. she's soooo cute! Congrats!

A lot of dogs are scared of their crates when they first encounter them. When you put her in there, praise her for going in and give her a few treats. You can filll a kong with peanut butter and give that to her when you crate her so she starts to associate crating with getting a treat.

My dog absolutely loves his crate. If I'm showering or busy doing something, it's not uncommon for me to find him in his crate snoozing away.

13. Oh she's adorable! I would highly recommend getting her into training ASAP. Obedience, agility, something...it will help you guys bond and teach trust. On top of that, it will give her some experience being around other dogs (I have a Pom that was once classified as feral, I know what it's like when they're terrified of everything) and that she can trust you when she's scared. Obedience training clubs are in most larger areas and are often budget friendly as they're generally run by volunteers.

Good luck and congrats on your new addition. :smile:

14. Ahhh yay, congratulations!!!! She's BEAUTIFUL! :yahoo:

I too, would suggest obedience training of some sort, especially with the "clicker" method, or something that doesn't work with "punishments", but rather with rewards. It will make you two so much closer :yes:

15. Crates are a gift from heaven, perfect for when they're not fully housebroken yet