another ebay scam:

1. This scam involves hijacking the seller's account, but it's used to defraud potential buyers. they e-mail the seller of a high-value item that has bids with a "question for seller" that includes a link -- the linked page LOOKS like the eBay sign-in page but of course it's not -- if the seller is fooled and logs in, the page captures the password and the sender can hijack the seller's eBay account. the scammer then cancels the bids fon the auction in question and contacts the bidders with an offer to sell off eBay, requiring payment via western union, wire transfer etc for a lower price. of course nothing is ever sent and there's no way to trace the seller (who is usually using a stolen e-mail account) or get the money back. here's what one of these e-mails looks like **notice that they tell you to contact them at a different e-mail address, but they've hijacked the account, so if you reply via e-bay instead you'll get a messge from the hijacked account that directs you to scammer's e-mail:

XXXXXXXX sent you this eBay item

[​IMG][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Verdana]If you are interested in my offer please reply me at my work email address: XXXXXXX@X.com I have a Caramel Hermes Bag (#270106742385) for sale. The product is US$200 fixed price including all shipping fees. If you are interested in my offer please reply me at my work email address: XXXXXX@X.com[/FONT][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][FONT=Arial, Verdana]Caramel Hermes Bag[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]Current bid: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]US $9.99 (0 bids) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]Shipping:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]View Item to Calculate[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]End date:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Apr-10-07 15:19:03 PDT[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Add to watch list[/FONT] | [FONT=Arial, Verdana]See similar items[/FONT]Find out more
    [​IMG][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Verdana]Details for item number: 270106742385[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]Item URL: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270106742385&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:11[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]Description:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]This bag was caught in the rain and has some surface damage, as shown in the second picture. It was taken to Hermes but they could not completely remo... See more [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]Ships to:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]United States[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Seller:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]XXXXXXXXXX[​IMG]( 6 ) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]87.5% Positive Feedback[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Member since Feb-24-05 in United States[/FONT]

2. thanks for telling!

3. Thankyou for this information

4. Thankyou millions for that information its priceless, I sell on E bay , and the scams are getting worse
    Had one through to my inbox, pretending it was Paypal, looked so real, glad I had norton virus protection which told me it was a frauduelent phising website and not to enter
    thanks again

5. An Hermes Birkin for $200? I would have stopped reading right there and deleted that email.

Yes scams like these have been going around for a while. The scary thing, is the newest scam of getting you to give away your logon id and password can be found on eBay. I get questions directing me to someone's auction or about me page, and when I follow the link it takes me to a logon page. Alternatively, if I don't follow the link, but rather search for the auction or eBay member via the eBay search system and I try to view the auction or about me page I am again directed (BY EBAY) to logon again (even though I'm already logged on). eBay knows about this scam. This one is the most scary because you think you can trust eBay, but it's a breach in their security.

6. Thanks for sharing :smile: They're horibble!!

7. Gee, what will they come up with next? Anytime I read an ebay or paypal email with even the slightest of not so proper english, I immediately forward it to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. They are very good about getting back to you right away and letting you know if its a fake email.

Unfortunately, I had my ebay account hijacked a few years ago after falling prey to one of these scammers :cursing: What a nightmare with ebay trying to get my account reinstated. I felt like the perpetrator rather than the vicim :cursing::cursing:

Bottom line, you can't be too careful in cyberworld :yes:

8. oh, that is bad!