Ankle weights

1. I just bought ankle weights in 2.5 pounds on each leg. I bought this in hopes to help slim down my leg and firm up my butt.

Someone at the retail store said that that it can built up your calves. I don't want that, in fact, I wanted to slim it down a bit. Right now, they are not hard as a rock because of drastic change of lifestyle, they kind of went soft.

Can anyone tell me what does ankle weight supposed to do for you?

2. 2.5 lbs isn't going to bulk up your calves. In fact 2.5lbs won't do much of anything. It will tire you out a bit faster when running, but mostly it's a waste of money.

3. Oh boy. I was hoping that it would help slim down my legs and help strengthen my butt.

4. 2.5 pounds won't really do that. it's just not enough weight to really increase muscle growth.
    You mention you want to slim down AND gain strength in your butt. Not to be an ass (pun intended?), but why do you need a strong butt? Tell me what you want and I'll try my best to steer you in the right direction. I'm thinking you want a more defined rear and toned, slim legs? If that's the case, do at least 30 mins of cardio at least 3 times a week to lose the fat so that the muscle definition can be seen, and do squats/lunges to build the muscle in your rear. You'll want to use heavier weights in order to build muscle. I'd start off with 10 pound dumbbells and do like 2 sets of 20 lunges, or the 45 pound bar and do as many proper form squats...2-3 sets. When you can accomplish all your reps in all your sets, add more weight.

However, I don't like people working out one set of muscles, so in addition to those lunges or squats, add in an upper body workout too. Overall body work out is the goal.

5. you should start your own fitness studio, for purse loving ladies...you'd have quite a crowd!

6. i agree, Charles, open a little subforum and we'll all ask you questions about fitness and you guide us!

7. Good point Charles. The problem is that I can't afford the gym, it cost over $600 for a year in my area. So I thought getting weights for my ankles would somehow help when I walk on the treadmill and it is a lot cheaper.
    If the weights will help gain more muscle, then I will have to return it.

I really want to slim and tone my legs, and butt. I dropped a size in pants but my legs are so soft. I want them more toned and slimmer. I still have two more sizes to drop and I don't mind if it takes me a year to do that because I want to keep it off.

8. Soft...What do you mean? I mean, my biceps are soft until I flex them. When you flex your leg muscles, if they're soft, it's probably due to excess fat that's covering them.
    If you can't really afford a gym, I still say just plain ole running will be what you need to do (well, that with eating a better diet). Those 2.5 pounds will maybe work until your muscles build and adapt to them, then they're useless. I can bench press 40 pounds till the cows come home, but at some point I'm not going to get any stronger or build any more muscle. The only way you build muscle is by tearing/breaking down the fibers and building them back up. The only way to do that is to lift something heavy enough to break them after you've built them back up. It's a progressive cycle. Lift 20 pounds until you can't anymore, your muscles break down, a couple days later they build back stronger, so the 20 pounds isn't going to do anything at that point...just like your ankle weights.
    I'd take back the ankle weights and just run normally. Then, buy some 10 pounds dumbbells and do lunges. When you can do 3 sets of 10, go buy some 15 pounders. When you can handle those, go buy some 20 pounders. Or heck, make your own weights. a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds ;)

9. Sorry Charles, I forgot to add that I can't run becuase I used to do some weird sports, like, parachuting, was training to be a jockey and I did show jumping. I really ruined my knees and very recently, I found out that I have tendinitis.

Now, when I flex my muscles, they are soft. Not hard as a rock like they used to be.

I like your lunges idea. Would the lunges that you are talking about is walking but taking a deeper bend as I walk?