Am I protected by ebay and/or paypal?

1. I won a best-offer auction from a seller in France. Although the auction didn't officially accept paypal, it stated to contact seller to make prior arrangements for paypal, which I did. The seller agreed to paypal with mininal additional charges ($8). I have all the communications.

After the auction I was instructed not to use eBay checkout (which will not have paypal option) and the seller sent me a money request via paypal directly, which I then paid promptly.

It is the first time I have paid for an eBay auction this way using paypal, I have always used eBay checkout before. Am I still fully protected under ebay and paypal's buyer's protection plan?

Thanks!

2. Did you enter the auction number in the payment? You can select ebay goods and then enter the number, I think it then pulls up that auction info. I'm not real sure, but I would think that if paypal was aware it was a payment for an auction you'd be covered.

3. Since it's a money request the seller sent, I didn't have any choice of what type of request. The seller chose "goods", which is a third category, different from "ebay" and "non-ebay" I think.

I did put in the ebay auction title and item number in the notes field when I paid.

4. I'm not sure if you'll be covered under the policy or not, but if the transaction doesn't work out and you don't receive your item, your credit card will cover you.