Alopecia {Info Needed}

1. Hello everyone,
    Well my best male friend "Vrayen" pronounced (Raw-Yen) has been diagnosed with alopecia. He started to develop patchy hairloss about 1 year ago and now just today he visited the dermatologists office.
    Have any of our lovely PF'ers been with alopecia?
    Please share any expierences or advice that you have.
    Thanks Everyone!:flowers:
  2. hey hun-here some this is some info from wikipedia..apparently theres 3 different types. ..

alopecia areata, which involves the loss of some of the hair from the head, and alopecia totalis, which involves the loss of all head hair, to the most extreme form, alopecia universalis, which involves the loss of all hair from the head and the body. Treatment for alopecia has limited success. The more hair lost, the less successful the treatment will be.

im sorry to hear about your friend's condition. i hope he handles it well be there for support :smile:
  3. Iweenie, I'm sorry about your friend, I hope I can help you more with alopecia but I am clueless about it. The only time I hear about it was when I watched the OC and Mischa Barton's lil sis's pony has alopecia :s
  4. I know how stressful hair loss can be. A few weeks ago I saw my dermatologist for the same reason. She thinks that my hair loss is due to going on and off different allergy medications. She also said that it should start to grow back in about a year, when my body becomes accustomed to the change in allergy medications. In the meantime, she recommended I use Rogaine for Men. I haven't tried it yet but if my hair loss gets any worse I will start the treatment. I hope your friend gets better!