Travel All Things Travel Chat

Carry-on only or checked luggage? I'm going to D.C. and then taking a train to NYC in August and my sister says she's only taking a carry on however, we're going to be gone for a week and Im not too sure I want to reuse the same clothes over and over again. I will put up with it if i have to if it'll make traveling a bit more speedy. Thoughts, advice, or opinions from those who travel more frequently than I

7 days? You can easily fit 7 days worth of clothes in a carry-on. Focus on neutral colors and wear scarves or jewelry if you're concerned about looking fashionable. Only one extra pair of shoes.

We travel to Europe for 3 weeks and only do a carry-on because we do laundry every few days. They have great drop off services.

Also, NYC does have laundromats :smile:

Well, we are only 5 days away from our departure! The Ireland itinerary is plotted out and did some shopping today. Need to download maps to our GPS and a few other small things (call banks, credit cards, etc.) and we'll be ready.

Need to get the GPS coordinates of all of our B&Bs so we can plug them in before we leave.

I'm excited!!! We don't have enough time in Dublin, but I'm OK with that. I've been to other big European cities....this trip is all about the countryside and the drive. I am a little nervous to be driving on the left (of the car and the road!).

I pretty much always check my luggage. It's just easier for me. It depends really on what you're comfortable with. Some people hate checking luggage, some people hate carrying it on. So it just depends what you'd rather do. If you do only carry on, make sure your liquids are the proper size and in a plastic baggy for TSA screening.

I'm a notorious overpacker, and I have so far been doing well on carrying-on for 5-day long international business trips. If I can do it, anyone can!

I've only had one instance where American Airlines made me put my carry-on in their size checker, and my bag was just too puffy to make it in; I took out a pair of jeans, stuck them in my laptop bag, and then was able to squeeze my bag into the sizer (lol). On the plane, the bag slid in just fine and I think the sizer AA uses is just ridiculous.

Between my laptop bag (from The Container Store)/backpack, and my carry-on, I'm usually able to take a pair of sneakers, two pairs of dress shoes, three pairs of pants, one pair of jeans (on top of jeans I wear when I travel=two pairs), 2-3 sets of work-out attire, multiple tops for working, my hairdryer, and the cosmetics/toiletries.

I had trouble with the cosmetics/toiletries, but between buying sample sizes on e-bay (for my Lancome bi-facil especially), and using up those free sample packets, I've been able to pull through so far!

You can do it! Roll your clothes to fit in more. The key is reducing the bulky stuff (like shoes)! With summer travel that shouldn't be an issue.

We're heading to Ireland for 17 days and planning on taking:

4-5 long pants
6-7 short sleeve tops
rain jacket
undies & socks (7 each)
running shoes (will wear them)
Toms
2 sets of running clothes
PJs x 2

Will also cram in my bathroom stuff.

My backpack will have my laptop, camera, ipad, cords, hubby's meds, plane snacks. And we'll do laundry once every 5-6 days (drop off in the AM and pick-up after touring around).

I pretty much always check my luggage. It's just easier for me. It depends really on what you're comfortable with. Some people hate checking luggage, some people hate carrying it on. So it just depends what you'd rather do. If you do only carry on, make sure your liquids are the proper size and in a plastic baggy for TSA screening.

Yes, me too. I hate having lots of carry on, specially at airports.

Just remember for those that don't do much traveling your still going to have to watch what liquids and amounts you plan on bring with you. Check the TSA website for the information and travel safe :smile:

Space bags. I thought they were a joke and would never work. Tried them a few years on a long trip to Australia and I love them! I fit twice the amount of clothes in my suitcase I would without them.