Al-Qaeda suspect confesses to 9/11, Pearl killing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al-Qaeda suspect confesses to 9/11, Pearl killing

2 hours, 20 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Top Al-Qaeda suspect Khalid Sheikh Mohammed has confessed to plotting 31 terror attacks including September 11 and personally beheading US journalist Daniel Pearl, the Pentagon said on Thursday.
    In a closed-door hearing before a panel of US military officers, the Pakistani national admitted to masterminding terror attacks and plots around the world, according to a partial transcript released by the Pentagon.

"I was responsible for the 9/11 operation, from A to Z," Mohammed said in a statement, read by a US military officer at the hearing held at the US camp for "war on terror" suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

On Thursday, the Pentagon confirmed that Mohammed also said he had murdered Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, whose videotaped beheading shocked the world in 2002.

"I decapitated with my blessed right hand the head of the American Jew, Daniel Pearl, in the city of Karachi, Pakistan," Mohammed said in the statement read out at the hearing.

"For those who would like to confirm, there are pictures of me on the Internet holding his head," he said.

Mohammed's admission to taking Pearl's life had been deleted from the transcript until the journalist's family had been notified, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said.

A suspected senior deputy to Osama bin Laden, Mohammed claimed responsibility for an array of other terrorist attacks, including the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and the 2002 bombing of a nightclub in Bali, Indonesia, according to the transcript.

He also claimed to have devised attacks in Britain, Singapore and the Panama Canal, and had planned to kill the pope and former US presidents.

Mohammed has been kept in controversial circumstances, most of the time in complete secrecy, since his capture in Pakistan in 2003. He has no access to a lawyer and allegations have been made that he was tortured while in US custody.

Human Rights Watch called Thursday for the United States to release a separate statement by Mohammed in which he claims to have been tortured while held by the CIA.

"It is a glaring misuse of the classification power for the government to classify information simply because it might be embarrassing or unlawful," Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.

"Mohammed's claims of torture should be investigated rather than concealed."

The White House has declined to comment on Mohammed's statements, saying it did not want to influence any legal proceedings.

But asked whether President George W. Bush considered the confession to be credible, spokesman Tony Snow declined to respond "because of concerns about command influence with an ongoing military commission."

Mohammed gave the tribunal a long, rambling justification in halting English of his actions as part of a holy war against the United States.

"If America they want to invade Iraq they will not send for Saddam roses or kisses. They send for a bombardment ... For sure I am American enemies," he said.

"But when you said I'm terrorist, I think it is deceiving peoples. Terrorists, enemy combatant. All these definitions as CIA you can make whatever you want."
    Mohammed is considered the most important of 14 prime suspects who will appear before the military panels at Guantanamo to determine their "enemy combatant" status after being transferred from CIA custody overseas.
    "Enemy combatant" status would eventually pave the way for a trial by military tribunal.
    The lead officer at Saturday's hearing asked Mohammed if any statements he made to interrogators were "as the result of any treatment that you received" after his capture in 2003 until his arrival in Guantanamo in September 2006.
    "CIA peoples. Yes. At the beginning when they transferred me ..." The rest of the transcript was redacted," Mohammed replied.
    The treatment and prosecution of "war on terror" suspects has sparked criticism at home and abroad. None of the 14 has had access to a lawyer and are instead represented at the hearings by a military officer.
    Human Rights Watch also called on the government to halt the status review trials and try Mohammed and others in civilian courts for crimes related to the September 11 attacks.
  2. I saw this on the news this morning. I think the man is crazy for being locked up for the past couple of years. Just because someone confesses something doesn't mean he did it any of those things. It's not just one person responsible.
  3. To be fair, though, the people responsible for carrying out 9/11 are dead.

Since those people can't be punished, they want to go after the people who thought up and assisted the plan to be carried out.

They suspected Mohammed, they arrested him and he confessed in custody.

I agree with you, though, I think it's wrong to hold him without much proof.
  4. Um...there's plenty of proof. And he bragged about killing Daniel Pearl long before hew as captured. This man deserves nothing more than a long drop with a short rope.
  5. This is kind of an iffy topic for this forum...these things are best left to the judicial system to sort out.
  6. ^^ I said they didn't have much proof. (Yes, they do have proof on the killing of Daniel Pearl) but I haven't heard about any proof about 9/11.

If anything, now that they've captured him, Daniel Pearl's family can have some justice.
  7. merika, I was iffy at first about posting it, but I figured it was more in the news category than the political category.

But if too many people are uncomfortable with this topic, Mods, feel free to close it.
  8. I have to wonder about this...that is alot of things for one man to have such a major role in. Unless these confessions were a result of caving under duress, I don't know if we should just believe everything he says. He could be protecting someone else by taking credit for their crimes, or he could be trying to avoid life in prison by confessing to things that are punishable by execution. This is all very suspicious to me.
  9. Ah yes! I would not be surprised if he confessed to the JFK assasination, the Anthrax letters, the flooding in New Orleans, and the murder of Russian journalists.

Lock me in an room and play nothing but Dolly Parton for 4 years and I will confess to being instrumental in the demise of Britney Spears.

I am not saying that he is not an evil man. All I am saying is that under torture, a confession is not worth the paper that it is written on.
  10. Very true.
  11. He confessed to this without media presence and without a lawyer. In a way, I think Rosie had a good point on The View yesterday. We don't know what happens at Guantanamo. We don't know if the residents/suspects there are being tortued or what...We don't know if they forced him into saying these things.

I hate to be the type of person who thinks of or about conspiracy theories, but I have an iffy feeling that they FINALLY found the person who was responsible for 9/11 - and they got him to confess! Guess we don't need to be looking for Osama anymore. ...Wasn't he the one suspected of the 9/11 attacks and lots of other ones?

IDK...I get asked a lot of questions about the war and 9/11 since I'm an American living in Germany, but I really hate getting into those types of things and I think that my opinion should be left for me alone ;)
  12. :hysteric: OMG...someone close this thread before I have an heart attack. Rosie is an idiot ... she held up his photo as if he looks like that now. She even said "look what we've done to this poor man." as if he's some victim:throwup: . Give me a huge break. That was the photo when they captured him! Not his photo now. Rosie is a complete moron and knows nothing about this. Her facts were completely wrong!!!

This guy BRAGGED about the things he's done and been responsible for - long before we even captured him. The evidence is out there and has been out there for way longer than he's even been in custody. The 1993 man who was convicted for the WTC bombings was connected to this guy and the FBI had proof. We could have done something then if they'd shared with the CIA...but oh no...can't climb that wall of separation.

No one forced this monster to confess. There is no torture at Guantanamo...jeez. He gladly admitted to everything he's done and planned. Please don't get your news from the View...they need to stick to hollywood and stay out of politics because they don't know what the h*ll they're talking about.

Please close this thread! My blood pressure is definitely rising. :cursing:
  13. Thank you. Many at G live better than people in America. With their ethnic cuisine serverd 3 times a day, prayer mats, free copies of the Qu'ran etc.--do you think that civilians or American soldiers captured by insurgents would be treated half as well? Please!
  14. sorry, double post.
  15. Thanks bchleo! You are totally correct! They eat better than most of the military personnel stationed there. Almost ALL of those being held have GAINED weight! Sounds like torture to me! ROFL I guess I'm torturing myself then too!!! hee hee:roflmfao:

And not only would our men/women captured by terrorists not live as well...they wouldn't LIVE at all! The few who have been captured have been seriously tortured and killed! Not this namby pamby "torture" of listening to music or being forced to stay awake. Wah. We aren't cutting off body parts, piercing skin with sharp objects, raping, et al. And no head chopping either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.