Aggravated stupid:Snubbed woman allegedly steals ex's ashes

1. Snubbed woman allegedly steals ex's ashes

• Story Highlights
    • Martha LaFollette pleads not guilty to felony vandalism
    • Prosecutor calls alleged crime "aggravated stupid"
    • "My dad's in an evidence locker," Roger Barber's daughter laments
    ATHENS, Ohio (AP) -- A woman accused of digging up her ex-boyfriend's grave and stealing his ashes pleaded not guilty Wednesday to felony vandalism, prosecutors said.
    Martha LaFollete, 48, lived with Roger Barber for five years until his death last November, said Athens County sheriff's Lt. Darrell Cogar. Police speculate she may have stolen Barber's ashes because she wasn't invited to his funeral.

The grave was dug up in June, but the theft wasn't discovered until about two weeks later, authorities said. Police found Barber's ashes several weeks ago at a home belonging to one of LaFollete's relatives, Athens County prosecutor David Warren said.
    "I have a category of crimes that I like to refer to as 'aggravated stupid,"' Warren said. "I have been doing this for almost 30 years now and I have never had anyone steal someone's ashes."

A trial was scheduled for January, Warren said. If convicted of the most serious vandalism charge, LaFollete faces a maximum of one year in prison and a $2,500 fine, he said.Myca Haynes, who represented LaFollete at Wednesday's arraignment, declined to comment.

Barber's teenage daughter, Sierra Barber, said she's planning to rebury her father's remains at the family plot in New Marshfield Cemetery once LaFollete's trial is over.
    "I have to bury my dad and go through it, all over again," she said. "My dad's in an evidence locker. They say 'rest in peace' for a reason."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. Aggravated stupid is right. :shocked:

...But out of context, "My Dad's in an evidence locker," is the best line I've heard all week.

3. :wtf:

The lengths to which some people are willing to go....

4. I find it sad that she was the man's live-in girlfriend for 5 years and yet his family did not include her in the funeral. That does not make it right in terms of what she did, but what is wrong with those people?

5. ^^^ Yeah that's disturbing. I'm taking domestic relations, a family law class, right now. We read case after case of people acting like complete and total jerks. It's depressing. It's sad that people try so hard to hurt each other.

6. I totally agree with this. I must assume because there weren't married the gf wasn't allowed to make arrangements but the relatives and they felt the gf didn't need to come at the funeral? that is scary....

7. What is wrong with her? I see she wasn't invited to the funeral, but my goness to dig him up?!

8. I wonder what possessed her to dig up his ashes - that's so extreme.

9. Whatever the reason was for not inviting her to the funeral, I still think digging up a grave is too extreme and is just asking for trouble.

10. What an idiot! Can you imagine how tramautizing it was to his underage children to go through this and have to rebury him?!

11. Odd news! Perhaps the family thought she was weird before the digging up incident. Still not a reason not to invite her. And definitely not a reason for her to dig him up. Maybe she was so depressed about his death it caused her to go a little crazy. I feel sorry for her and his family either way. That "My Dad's in an evidence locker," does sound funny..but isn't. I always notice that journalists do that when a story is in the "Odd news" section or is meant to be funny. Wish they didn't though because it prevents readers from sympathizing. It IS a real life case, not the plot of some tv show. Eh..news is entertainment though..

12. So sad that she felt driven to do this!

13. They bury ashes?