Advice please

  1. OK-I do childcare out of my home. I had an opening recently and after quite a few people interviewing me-one couple hired me-this was on Wednesday evening. Now-my policy is that when you hire me, if your child is not starting immediately-you must give me a 2 week deposit to hold the spot (this spot is for August 1st).

    So-the couple know about the deposit. I emailed them Thursday thanking them for hiring me and reminding them that they should let me know when they will be bringing by the deposit (or, mailing it-she never gave me a straight answer over the phone about how they were going to do it). no reply. Then I emailed them on Friday with some other info and again asked to be told when and how the deposit would be coming (it is for quite a bit of money-at least to me) and again, no reply. And, of course, no deposit yet.

    Now-I had 2 other couples interested in this spot-as a matter of fact-one of the other couples called me constantly about it-and the couple who did hire me know this! So-here's my question-how long do I give them before i call them up and say hey-"where's the deposit? If I don't get it by such and such-i will have to give your spot away". I mean, now I am starting to worry that they have changed their mind and just aren't telling me. I feel very insecure without the deposit-and, if they are backing out-I want to know so I can get the other people before they find soemone else.

    so-what do you think? I give them until Tuesday evening before making the phone call? Wednesday afternoon? I know it is a holiday weekend, but, this is really starting to annoy me-childcare is at a premium where I live and I have an excellent reputation! People usually run over with the deposit!

    Opinions please.
     
  2. I'd call and leave a message right now.
    I'd give them until 10am on Wed to get the deposit to you or tell them you're offering the spot to the next child.
     
  3. i'd say if they don't do it by close of business tomorrow, kick them to the curb. they've had more than enough notice and opportunity to at least give you a TIME when they'll be bringing the deposit. it's not your job to wait around for them!
     
  4. I say you give her the benefit of the doubt til after the 4th (Wed) because maybe they went on Vacay. Shoot her an email and if you don't get a response by Wednesday, I'm sure those other couples will be happy to take their place.
     
  5. I would either e-mail or call them and say that you have people waiting for a spot to open and if they don't want to pay, you'll go with the other couple! That should do the trick. This way you're not pressuring them but giving heads up. Good luck!
     
  6. Nishi,

    You mentioned that a 2 week deposit is due if the child is not starting immediately. Do you state at the beginning when the deposit is due? Is the deposit due 2 weeks before the start date? The couple you are attempting to collect from might have interpreted that the due date for the deposit is July 15th (since they are beginning August 1st).

    Most people left for the holiday weekend either Thursday or Friday. Perhaps they left for vacation and do not have access to email? If so then you can't really expect them to respond until after July 5th. If I were you I would give them until next Friday. After next Friday all bets are off!

    Your service is a premium, therefore you can't waste time with dead beat clients! :yucky:
     
  7. Nishi,

    You mentioned that a 2 week deposit is due if the child is not starting immediately. Do you state at the beginning when the deposit is due? Is the deposit due 2 weeks before the start date? The couple you are attempting to collect from might have interpreted that the due date for the deposit is July 15th (since they are beginning August 1st).

    Most people left for the holiday weekend either Thursday or Friday. Perhaps they left for vacation and do not have access to email? If so then you can't really expect them to respond until after July 5th. If I were you I would give them until next Friday. After next Friday all bets are off!

    Your service is a premium, therefore you can't waste time with dead beat clients! :yucky: Also, it will send a message to future clients that your services are in high demand and you can choose to be "picky". This gives off the allure of high end service.
     
  8. So they didn't sign anything, it was all just verbal? Hmm...I'd also say to call tomorrow morning and tell them that you have other people interested in teh spot and that Wednesday by noon you will relinquish their spot to the next interested client. Ultimately it is your business and you can't pass up someone who is willing to pay for your services for someone who is going to be ditzy about it.
     
  9. I always say the deposit is due immediately and is used for the first 2 weeks that your child is here. I make it clear during the interview that once you decide to hire me-I expect the deposit-the deposit is to hold your spot.

    I will give them until Tuesday night-if I don't hear anything from them-on wednesday morning I am going to call her at work and out and out ask about it. I hate doing this-and I hate being in this sort of position-I feel like I am begging for money! ugh-thanks ladies!
     
  10. Don't feel like you're begging, because you're not at all. This is your business, how you earn your money, and they're not really being considerate of it. I hope they get back to you ASAP by Wed, but if not, it is good to know that you have other people interested in the opening! At least you won't be left with fewer kids ($) than you're used to.
     
  11. It's not begging at all. It's the order in which you conduct your business. If you make an exception here, you'll be expected to make exceptions for them again and again. Kindly remind them of your policy and give them a deadline, it's the order of your business. If they can't follow your guidelines with this, they won't be able to follow it later on. Just think of it as your "filtering the riff raff-process".
     
  12. I agree with the other ladies that you should get your deposit now. You've waited long enough, and there are other eager parents and kids that want the spot. If they fail to give you the deposit in a timely manner, which they have, then you have the right to go on to the next person. It's a fair way to conduct business, and it's fair to the other parents.
     
  13. Call them ASAP and say exactly that. If they don't respond, give the spot away to someone else. You did your part and you made it clear that you needed that deposit.
     
  14. :yes::yes: Thats a good way to put it. I would give them until Wednesday even if they are on vacation, and you met with them on wednesday that still gave them thursday and friday to get you the deposit or call you and tell you they would not be able to until whatever date. If you have another couple really interested i wouldnt spend too much time on these people bc this might be a sign of problems later on. :hrmm:
     
  15. Yep-I thought the same thing. Thanks!