Advice on getting 2 puppies vs. just 1...

ack that many litters in that period of time? how many litters do they have a year? are you sure you found a reputable breeder?

Yes, she is a nice lady who lives in the town my husband grew up in.. She just has alot of Shih Tzus. Her girls seem to go into heat around the same time, she said. She has a nice website & pics of all the dogs, her home & the setup she has. She also has champion show dogs as well. She has 3 acres, plus the dogs have their own house on the property where they each get their own sleeping areas. She will only sell locally as she doesn't feel good about shipping her pups. I've spoken with her a couple of times & feel comfortable buying from her.:smile:

If possible, I would wait for a year until getting another puppy, mainly because you want the puppy to bond with you first. If you get two puppies at the same time, the puppy will bond with the other puppy first, you second. Also, one puppy is a pain in the ass as is, two might just drive you over the edge. The puppy will be an angel until it reaches 6 mos, and then it will be a holy terror until about a year and a half. We waited two years before getting another puppy and I am glad.

Thanks, that's a good point to.

If possible, I would wait for a year until getting another puppy, mainly because you want the puppy to bond with you first. If you get two puppies at the same time, the puppy will bond with the other puppy first, you second. Also, one puppy is a pain in the ass as is, two might just drive you over the edge. The puppy will be an angel until it reaches 6 mos, and then it will be a holy terror until about a year and a half. We waited two years before getting another puppy and I am glad.

I read that it is best to wait a year in between getting another puppy. The book I read said that this is best because then the puppy will be forced to try to learn and communicate with you (learn the commands and etc). However, if you get two puppies at the same time they will communicate with each other and possibly ignore you and not feel like they need to learn how to communicate with you (this will be difficult when trying to potty train them).

I got a shih tzu and I really wanted a 2nd one, but I'm going to wait till she turns 1 yrs old.

Well put snorks. I don't know a single breeder that would sell littermates to a person (admitedly I run in some snobbing show circles, LOL).

As you say, the dogs will tend to bond together and lacking that human:dog development period will not be as well socialized to people in the long run.

I also keep at least 12 months between new pups.

Sounds like you researched and found a good breeder. Chances are she will have other pups that you can choose from once your new arrival is well established in your home. ;)

Plus, as we all live and learn, you will undoubtedly find things you would do differently the second time around, so you have the opportunity to do it all over again better for your second pup. :yes:

Yes, she is a nice lady who lives in the town my husband grew up in.. She just has alot of Shih Tzus. Her girls seem to go into heat around the same time, she said. She has a nice website & pics of all the dogs, her home & the setup she has. She also has champion show dogs as well. She has 3 acres, plus the dogs have their own house on the property where they each get their own sleeping areas. She will only sell locally as she doesn't feel good about shipping her pups. I've spoken with her a couple of times & feel comfortable buying from her.:smile:

ok, sounds pretty good then, showing is definently a good sign, which means she is trying to improve the breed and proving that the dog is good before breeding, does she do health testing?, very important with shih tzus.

Like I said before I have had 2 brothers from the same litter, I have done this twice, and they came from top show lines. Breeders love the fact that 2 are going together provided you are experienced with that breed. I have had Newfoundlands, and English Setters for 20 years so breeders know that when I have 2 puppies they are going to be well taken care of.
I do not agree that having 2 puppies make the puppies bond more with their litter mate than you. What I have found is that one will bond more with me and one with another household member. Having 2 puppies at the same time is a lot more work, but they play and grow up together. I think if you know what you are doing their is no need to wait a year before you get another one.