ADVICE for buying online (OR NOT...!)

Also, when shopping online, always use a credit card that will give you maximum protection in case anything goes wrong. I swear by American Express. I have purchased a few counterfeit items on eBay (unknowingly, of course, until I received them and could tell right away), and Amex cheerfully refunded all my money, including shipping, every time.

lorimatthews - wow - good to know about amex! did the refund take a long time? what were the steps involved - i guess first is returning the merchandise? do you need to "prove" the item is counterfeit to amex? if so, how? TIA!

I've purchased authentic items from:

-Zappos
-Aloha Rag (chloe paddington - LOVE it! but can't return sale merchandise)
-Neiman Marcus
-Bluefly - (they sent me an authentic guccissima bouvier with a security tag that cannot be removed, just like Netaporter)
-Ebay - so far I've gotten an authenticated Fendi and some Coach.

I heard that Luisaviaroma and Diabro also sell authentic. You can probably do a search and find out from more tPFer's what they think of these two. I heard that Diabro is a little funny about returns, too, but they may make exceptions.

lorimatthews - wow - good to know about amex! did the refund take a long time? what were the steps involved - i guess first is returning the merchandise? do you need to "prove" the item is counterfeit to amex? if so, how? TIA!
Hi Lori - I've also used AmEx to dispute charges. No proof needed up front. They credit you back immediately, pending investigation, and then let you know if they need further info. It's the ONLY card to use, IMO!

Hi Lori - I've also used AmEx to dispute charges. No proof needed up front. They credit you back immediately, pending investigation, and then let you know if they need further info. It's the ONLY card to use, IMO!

wow - i'm using my AmEx from now on! I guess that's why a number of ebayers prefer ONLY paypal? hmmm...

Online I've shopped at the following for authentic items:

revolveclothing.com
zappos.com
neimanmarcus.com (currently mad at them for cancelling an order without notifying me)
bloomingdales.com (ok experience once, but my most recent purchase just never arrived and the tracking number never worked and THEY don't even know where the item is now. getting my money credited is going to take 2 weeks, for something that i never even received. pretty annoying)

I like revolve because of their free return policy and how fast items arrive (zappos too). I used to think their customer service was great, but since I've sent them a few emails regarding special orders of items and they've not responded, I think it's just good, not great.

Others have mentioned other authentix sites (shopbop, active end., eluxury,

For non-apparel (more houseware stuff), I've ordered from amazon.com and target with no problems and fast shipping.

Online shopping is great. I live in one of the shopping capitals of the world and still do most of my shopping online. Mostly because it's so much easier to comparative shop and find great deals. To me the most important criteria for online shopping is a good return policy. I also always use a credit card, NOT a debit card. Also I'm signed up for one of those credit alert services, that lets you know as soon as something's up on your credit record, i.e. inquiries. I think it best to stay on top of this with my credit card info floating around on the worldwide web. I've never had a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Hahaha I know what you mean! DUTIES IN CANADA ARE CRAZY! It makes my blood boil just thinking about it :cursing:

But I have to admit - even after the duties - a lot of the times still turn out to be cheaper than how much I have to pay here! Also, there is also much much more variety! Sometimes it really does suck living in Canada - being a shopaholic and all.. :Push:

i guess it's gd that the exchange rate is low..so going down to the states to shop is perfect for us now! :smile:
I do agree that even with all those additional costs, shoping online still gets you a better deal and variety.

so everyone living in the states shop away! at least you guys won't get all these crazy additional charges!

I'm afraid to buy anything -premium designer- online.
If I'm dropping that much on a bag.......I want to see it before i pay for it. But that's just me....
If going to a store is not an option, there are a few legit sites mentioned already.....

This is not to say i don't shop online. I research to find the best price before i make my purchases. However the things i buy online are not designer bags.
It's more like electronics and other household items.........