adopting an older dog

Yeah, I'm running into some difficulty on this front, since every smaller/apartment friendly breed I look at is high energy, and I really want a dog that is generally mellow and calm. I know it also depends on the individual though, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Basset Hound. Short enough that most apartments will accept them, and lazy enough that you won't need to run them everyday. A walk or two around the block and some playtime should be enough.

If you are willing to search a bit more for the right apartment you can get a larger dog and a Greyhound might be a good choice. They are usually couch potatos and perfectly happy to rest all day, but willing to go out if you want.

Training wise, they may not be the smartest cookies in the bunch, but I've rarely seen any serious problems with them. They can be great companions, and there are many groups dedicated to rescuing greyhounds from the track. Not good if you ever plan to have cats though.

Good luck in your search. I think it's great that you will adopt an older dog.

If you are willing to search a bit more for the right apartment you can get a larger dog and a Greyhound might be a good choice. They are usually couch potatos and perfectly happy to rest all day, but willing to go out if you want.

Training wise, they may not be the smartest cookies in the bunch, but I've rarely seen any serious problems with them. They can be great companions, and there are many groups dedicated to rescuing greyhounds from the track. Not good if you ever plan to have cats though.

-I second that, a Greyhound! If your apt. policy does not have size limitations, a Greyhound is wonderful choice. They are very mellow (and the rescue group can help you choose the one that fits your activity level and age. many of the older GH's (6-7 years) don't get adopted as quickly, but my greyhounds have lived to 14 and 15 years, so you may still have lots of years with them. You never know what will happen, you could get a younf dog of any breed and it might die young - so go with the one that you feel a connection with, regardless of age.

I have been doing GH rescue for 15 years, it is so rewarding!

I used to do all the "cat-testing" for or group - I had a cat (now deceased) who had nerves of steel, and could tell me in an instant if a GH was OK to live with cats. So some of them can successfully live with cats.

Good luck with your search!

(end of infomercial, LOL)

I just wanted to say that it is a great thing you're considering doing! I hope you find a wonderful dog when the time is right! And it is so great to hear that so many others here have adopted older pets.... it makes me so sad to think of an older animal living out their life in a cage with out a family!

Not a dog, but we took in an adult stray cat, she recently passed away, but she was the best pet ever... I mean, I love all my pets, but the others that I've had since kittens don't have the same connection we had with her. She knew we had saved her life - and the lives of the kittens she was about to have! She was a lucky girl, she chose us, and she chose well... I agree that our pets have a hand in choosing who they want to live with and that you two will know each other after spending a little time together.

This thread was very heart warming to read. When I was about 12, my dad brought us to the dog shelter and let us choose a dog. I chose a Terrier Poodle who was probably about 2 years old already. Her name was Fifi. I had some really good times with her and she stayed in our family for about 10 years. As I grew older, I kinda stopped giving her the attention I use to. I left after high school and then about a year later she passed away. ( ok im getting kinda teary now) I regret not giving her the love like I use to but I am sure she is better wehre she is now. I love you Fifi! I'm so sorry I left and didn't even bother to say bye to you. ( i really am crying now)...

I would choose an older shelter dog everytime over a puppy. Same with a cat. These older animals have so much love to give.

The younger ones will likely find a home....not always so for the older ones. I never have "gotten it" as to why this is?

We went to the shelter two separate times looking, first, for an adult cat, then, an adult dog. Our preference was for at least a year old to middle age pet.

We adopted a 2 year old mostly doxie from the shelter and a cat, approx same age from the same shelter. Both are precious and just fit right in and love us so much ( the feeling on our part is mutual:heart:)