Adopt Older cat(s) or get new kitten?

1. Ok, so it's just too quiet around the house.

Have been researching Maine Coon breeders as Tigris was a Maine Coon I was lucky enough to rescue. I just loved how fluffy and playful and big she was, her little vocalizations, her big pert fluffy tail.

I've found a breeder near me who sounds really reputable and now I have options:

Adopt two of her retired females (one was a breeder, the other tried but never got pregnant). They are 6 and 7. She won't adopt them separately -- can't blame her. They're spayed. $300 a cat

Wait for one of this breeder's kittens (almost 3 months - they were just born) -- cost $1200 one kitten

I'm a little concerned about the claw issue and getting two cats, not just one -- as Tigris arrived without claws (front) and I could not do this to a cat myself. But I have really nice furniture. According to the breeder, the cats like their sisal scratching post so as long as I get one they should be fine. I also went and looked at the spray you can put on furniture short term.

I also really wanted to raise a kitten -- haven't done that since college. But I hate having to wait that long.

Here are the two adults -- but pics taken when they were about a year old. What do you think? Obviously, when we drive up to meet them this week I'll decide but ....
    Crystal.jpg ladyargentum.jpg
  2. I think it is always great to give older animals a home if you can. I have two cats and when the sad day comes that they are no longer with me I will adopt a mature animal as they so often go without homes, though I realize you are not dealing with a shelter situation.

Also, my two cats have their claws and never scratch anything except their scratching post.
  3. Both cats are so beautiful!!

IMO, I'd take the two adult cats....they are both still realtively young and I always lean toward giving the adult animals that need it a good home.

Tough choice...kittens are so so so sweet...

Good luck!
  4. It is a tough choice. Not matter which you chose you will have basic vet expenses but with a kitten you have to consider costs of spaying/neutering, kittens vaccinations (I think they need more when they are younger IIRC) and whether or not you chose to declaw. A kitten will require a lot of time and training... they also have really sharp nails and tend to scratch a lot so if you have nice furniture this is something to definitely think about. The mature cats look absolutely beautiful and seem trained only to scratch on their post. I'm also assuming the older cats are litter trained?

Sorry if I'm not of much help. I volunteered at a humane society when I was a teen for 3 years (my mom also volunteered), we adopted 4 cats and a dog but did also foster care almost a dozen kittens. I favor adoption but kitten could be a great addition if you have a lot of time and patience.
  5. Both my cats (well, one I've had for 7 years, the other I'm going to get in 2 weeks!) are retired breeders and as much as I love kittens, I find it very stressful to educate one for the first few weeks/months. I love adults because they are more relaxed, settled, and because their personnality and habits are already defined, you know :smile: And they get really attached to you real quick, it's as tough they were always part of the family :heart:

But you could always get 3, no? ;)
  6. Newface you're a hoot -- yes I could always get three. What's one more cat? I think three is my limit tho !!
    Thanks everyone for the feedback -- I do like the idea of mellow -- you've really helped !!
    I'll let you know how it goes on Thursday when we meet them.
  7. I think I'd go for the two older ones. They're already comfortable together and will be great companions for each other. They sure are beautiful in the pictures! I wouldn't worry tooo much about the furniture. With ANY cat you risk some damage, even if you're raising from a kitten, but there is a lot you can do to prevent damage and train them for what is/isn't appropriate to scratch. They learn quickly.

Hehe the option of 3 isn't so bad either :p
  8. I don't think that you can go wrong either way. Maine coons are fantastic cats as you already know. When you meet the adults, you'll probably be able to get a better read on their personalities when you meet them. I would probably suggest getting the adults especially since they get along. If they were selected for breeding, then you know that the breeder really liked their personalities. Depending on what pick you get in the litter of kittens, the ones with the best personalities might not be available to you. Also, while kittens are cute and fun, keep in mind that kittenhood lasts a short time and they grow into adults sooooo fast. By the time most breeders release kittens, they are already out of the cutest stage of kittenhood.

As for the claw issue, cats that have been trained to use a scratching post tend to be good about. I also clip my cats' claws once a week. They don't love having their nails clipped, but they got used to it quickly and don't fight it. Keeping the nails clipped really takes away a lot of their urges to sharpen their claws.
  9. The cats are beautiful. Have you tried you local SPCA or pound? If you plan on getting a new kitty, young or old, you should at least check with them first. Usually they have such a wide variety you are sure to find one that will just melt your heart. And there are just so many(way too many) homeless kitties out there who will be just as loving and playfull and beautiful as any cat you could ever buy from a breeder. And then you also get the satfaction of knowing that you actually saved your kitties life!!!

What ever you choose, Congrats on your new familiy member!!!

10. I adopted a 2 year old and he's the sweetest cat ever.
  11. Jenskar, have you looked into a Maine Coon rescue group? Take a look in Petfinder dot com also.

I'd go with the two older girls, given your scenario.
  12. I have been through all the cats on Maine rescue -- my last three cats were all rescues -- 2 off the street (one with such bad ring worm she was basically bald for awhile till we got her cured), one by way of a girl who had to give him up (but had found him abandoned by his mother in a shed -- she moved the rest of the litter off with her and left him :sad: -- so I've definitely done the save the kitty thing. I told myself that just once I'd let myself have the big smooshy purebreed I'd always wanted when the last of my rescues were gone -- Tigris, who I had to put asleep in late July, did not like other cats, so she got three years with us as our only kitty out of 13. She had been mistreated and the first few years wouldn't even let us touch her.

We'll see -- date got moved, we're meeting them Thursday night.

I have another question but will post sep.
  13. Jen, the cats are gorgeous! I love older cats... I adopted my Betty when she was about 7 and that was 7 years ago...sniff...she is wonderful, in good health and well trained.
  14. So long as they are both in good health I would get the older cats. It is probably a bit harder for them to find a loving home than the kittens plus they will be much calmer and have good habits already by the sounds of it.:tup:
  15. I had a beautiful Sacred Birman for 14 years. When she passed away I was devastated:crybaby: Couldn't think of "replacing" her with another cat. So came Miss S in my way. 11 years old, sick and tired. Needed a good home for her last few days on earth. That was three years ago and she is still with us. All well and playful like a kitten.:love: I'd go for the adult two for now and a kitten next year when the two have setteled in.:smile: