Acne late in life?

1. For a person who never had to deal with zits in her teens, I'm weirded out by the fact that I'm sufferring a breakout right now. Has anyone else ever had a breakout in their late 20s? My face is so itchy, I can't stand it.

I need recommendations on zit creams, as I know nothing about how to get rid of zits. Help!
    :crybaby:

2. Well sheesh, I still break out occasionally and I'm in my late 30s!

I just use hydrogen peroxide as a gentle astringent (and cheap too!). It doesn't strip my skin dry, which can happen when skin gets flakey and too dried out from harsher creams. Plus...bonus...it also bleaches out blackheads!

3. 32 years old here and I break out like a teenager. Always have, ever since I was, well, a teenager! :smile: Try 10% glycolic acid cleansing pads only once a week. They unclog your pores like magic. I've tried EVERY over-the-counter AND prescription medication and nothing worked for me except for the glyco pads...they were my holy grail. :smile:

Oh, and definitely see a dermatologist if this breaking out continues. It's definitely not uncommon for adult women to have acne. As you age, your body chemistry changes so expect anything to happen!

4. ^^ Yep, as I got older I found I break out more when I'm midcycle...no fun with a telltale indicator of that but oh well...

5. I'm 33. I never had problems with it in high school but when I hit my late 20's/early 30's, BAM! I started getting hormonal breakouts on my chin. Still not very bad but I'd get those deep painful cystlike ones & boy do they hurt! I started using Proactiv & it completely stopped. I haven't had another breakout in over 2 years.

6. i tried all kinds of OTC products, with little success. went to the doc last week and she prescribed a topical cream and i'm already seeing results. wish i'd gone to see her sooner!

7. I always have very mild acne, proactiv did it for me. My face is completely clear adn I love the product. However, I still use proactiv, only to keep my face looking great and healthy (not because of acne). You should always have a skin regimen.

8. Oh yes, this is me!! Mine really did not get bad until I became pregnant with my daughter. 5 years later and I am still using scar patches to try to minimize the damage. I use a low dose of retin A but I think my Dr. is going to have to up the dosage. I tried Proactive but it only worked for me for about 3 months.

9. I got the dreaded acne after i was placed on a POP contraceptive pill. I;d never had spots, let alone acne, in my whole life.... I was 26....my skin has almost cleared up now thanks to the following..

6 months of applying Quinoderm cream religiously - the stuff is lethal and it makes your skin a bit red and tender until you get used to it (and bleaches your sheets) but it works by taking off the top layer of skin over time

A regular cleansing routine of Avon clearskin cleansing cloths and oil free Johnsons moisturiser on the problem areas, normal Neutrogena moisturiser on non-problem areas.

If you have to wear make up, make sure it's non-comodegenic, so it won't clog your pores

A GP's prescription of Dianette (A contraceptive pill which is designed to clear up acne) I'm currently in my 9th month of taking it and the difference is phenomenal:yes:

All i can say is, try all you can, when you find what works for you - stick with it, and try not to let it get you down...i went through a really bad patch when i had the acne at it's worse, i found it hard to deal with in a psychological and physical way. It really knocked my confidence.

I've finally come to terms with it and i turn 30 next year - please do hang in there, and let us know how you get on!:flowers:

10. You may have to experiment with a few, maybe dozens of different skin care regimens or prescription meds before you find something that really works, but when you find your "Holy Grail," you'll be so happy! Just be patient and keep trying. It'll be so worth it. This is why I always emphasize the need to see a dermatologist, who is usually the best resource for acne care recommendations.

11. B. Kamins Medicated Acne Gel 5%: Benzoyl peroxide gel that helps gently clear spots, blackheads and blemishes. Love it, I buy it at Sephora. I find it does not dry up my skin like other creams

12. Oh jeez. So many different things to try.

Yes, I will go see a dermatologist. :crybaby:

13. I'm 17 years old and I've been fighting acne on and off for about 8 years. (That's not really encouraging, is it?) For a while I used Neutrogena earlier on....then I used this product called Clear.Now...it worked but not as well as it said it would. So then I switched to Klear Action and it cleared me up in a heartbeat. But over a few months it was like my skin got used to it and started to break out again. So then I started using Clearasil Ultra. I'm still using Clearasil. I use the Daily Face Wash and the Acne Scrub twice a day every day. For my troublesome spots....be warned for the following, I'm a teenager...I've got my eye on a hot guy and the last thing I want is for him to see me with a crater....I usually use a little straight apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball, rub it on my face, let it dry (it'll turn u beat red for 5 or 10 minutes), hydrogen peroxide, let it dry, then I'll add some Clearasil Vanishing Cream, let it dry, and then for those super duper tough cookies, toothpaste. Yep, toothpaste. But don't use a lot. It will dry you out. So always use a good moisturizer.

So as you can plainly tell, I've found NOTHING that absolutely works for me.

Missy

14. Same here, after pregnancy, it was like wow! what the heck is going on, hopefully without sounding like a an infomercial Proactiv worked for me....and later my teen son.