Accents..

purselova34 said:
I've been told I have a Jersey Accent, but don't believe it. Although, sometimes my Rs sound like As. Like drawa instead of drawer. lol I think most of the people on the East Coast kinda do that though.

LOL! My husband and his family are from Brooklyn then Long Island.
When I first met them I was forever trying to "decode" what they were saying.
I finally broke the code - they add R's where they don't belong and remove them where they're needed:
They called me Amander instead of Amanda, and instead of pizza, it was pizzer.
And they removed the R's: cousin's wife was Ambir, she is called Ambah . . . .
My DH was mortified when I pointed this out to him! LOL!
Poor guy!
He's a NY'er living in the heart of Texas, people have the hardest time guessing where's he's from now! LOL!

Int'lSet, I hear spunk in your posts and I think we'd be friends IRL, sometimes you type the EXACT thing I would've if I had responded first!
Amanda, I hear your Southern accent in your posts as well and I agree w/ you about needing to switch off my accent.

SwankyMamaof3 said:
Int'lSet, I hear spunk in your posts and I think we'd be friends IRL, sometimes you type the EXACT thing I would've if I had responded first!
Amanda, I hear your Southern accent in your posts as well and I agree w/ you about needing to switch off my accent.

NOOOO, don't you or Amanda DARE switch off your Southern accents. In my heart of hearts I want to be a southern girl. :sad2: Maybe if I read the Southern Belle Primer enough times... one of my favorite sorority sisters is from Kentucky and she's just so great.

SwankyMamaof3 said:
LOL! My husband and his family are from Brooklyn then Long Island.
When I first met them I was forever trying to "decode" what they were saying.
I finally broke the code - they add R's where they don't belong and remove them where they're needed:
They called me Amander instead of Amanda, and instead of pizza, it was pizzer.
And they removed the R's: cousin's wife was Ambir, she is called Ambah . . . .
My DH was mortified when I pointed this out to him! LOL!
Poor guy!
He's a NY'er living in the heart of Texas, people have the hardest time guessing where's he's from now! LOL!

LOL I knew it was an east coast thing. :nuts: New York, New Jersey, and Boston all do that. It's just we all sound a lil different when we do. LOL My one friend is from KA and when she first met I asked her if she could hand me something from the drawer and she said what's a drawah? lol We also had a teacher named Porter which everyone called Portah. lol Now, sometimes, when I say stuff I try to make the R known and sound retarded. The funniest thing I've ever heard in NJ/East Coast accent was and R somehow added oil. My great aunt and grandmother used to say it that way. lol I can't even write the way it sounds but it sound like Archie Bunker. lol I :love: old shows. Oh, well, at least I'm not the only one. You and your hubby would understand. ;) I bet you two must have some cool accents living in Texas. :biggrin: