a very ODD incident and tell me how would you have reacted

I watched 60 Minutes (or type show) ten-fifteen years ago about counterfit bags, watches etc. One segment showcased fake bags that very wealthy women bought. These women owned genuine bags (usually several), but they carried fakes to do errands, to go places where they did not want to carry their real bags that they thought could be stolen. They were not trying to pass them off as the real deal, and enjoyed them for what they were; look alikes. Their friends were carrying them too and they did not buy them off the street. I can't remember the geographic area, it was the idea that stuck with me. Sad. I wonder if this still goes on?

I'm sure it happens more with jewelry than with bags these days. Women may wear copies of their valuable jewels in the form of paste jewelry (are they still called this nowadays?) or Moissanites instead of their diamonds on cruises or running errands where they are out in public without security.

I think because of how sudden the situation is, your reaction is prob. the reaction that most of us would have had. I personally would have wanted to get as far away from the woman, as fast as possible too.

hmmmm, interesting argument -

for me, i would just accept her card & politely tell her thanks, will call her if i ever see a need for her services, smile & walk away... (& dump the card away when i get home...)

i dont think there is any call to be rude since she was not pushing her services aggressively to me.
Bbb, I second your opinion. That woman didn't offer you drugs, etc. Neither she tried to sell you birkins as the real thing. She wasn't rude either...Honestly, I don't understand the hateful rage over here. There are things people do for a living that make this woman an angel in comparison, really. Are you the same ladies who never say or do anything but nice to the strangers?..To each his/her own.
Pazt, you handled it perfectly.

hmmmm, interesting argument -

for me, i would just accept her card & politely tell her thanks, will call her if i ever see a need for her services, smile & walk away... (& dump the card away when i get home...)

i dont think there is any call to be rude since she was not pushing her services aggressively to me.

That's exactly what I would have done.

Pazt This happenned to me and rockerchic and Tods123 in New York. We were only 100 yards from the H store! Exactly the same incident, a well dressed older lady admired our bags and then said she sold them!

We did exactly the same thing. Responded politely and moved on quickly in shock! With hindsight I should have reported her in the H store, I realise this sounds stupid now, but it really didnt enter my head (too excited about prospective purchases!)

I was just going to respond with our story. I was totally shocked. Were you in North Alaska? Perhaps it was the same stalker!

Mama Pazt, I would've handled ur situation in the exact same way!! I have to admit, it was pretty brazen of her to even approach you like that and in a way I would've been freaked out, bc you know we frequent the Bling Show A LOT and I'm now thinking if she does too? Not only that, she could be on this FORUM too! SCARY!!!!:shocked::sos:

Well everyone reacts differently,so i am sure you did what was best for you when faced with that situation.

Personaly if it happened to me,i would have told her what she is doing is not only fundametally wrong,but incredibly disrespectful towards H fan like me.I would most ceirtanly told her off,because i am a very straight forward person,and dont belive in Feigning ignorance.

And to the member who thinks the woman did nothing wrong and is surprised at the outrage around here i would just like to say;what that woman is doing is illegal therefore wrong by the definition.I dont care if she was not rude,the sheer proposition and illiciting people like this shows lack of manners!I hope she and every other H scam artists get cought!

Bbb, I second your opinion. That woman didn't offer you drugs, etc. Neither she tried to sell you birkins as the real thing. She wasn't rude either...Honestly, I don't understand the hateful rage over here. There are things people do for a living that make this woman an angel in comparison, really. Are you the same ladies who never say or do anything but nice to the strangers?..To each his/her own.

I think most people have posted that they would have responded the same way as Patz. "Hateful rage" is a bit of an overstatement for the most part, don't you think?:confused1:

Well everyone reacts differently,so i am sure you did what was best for you when faced with that situation.

Personaly if it happened to me,i would have told her what she is doing is not only fundametally wrong,but incredibly disrespectful towards H fan like me.I would most ceirtanly told her off,because i am a very straight forward person,and dont belive in Feigning ignorance.

And to the member who thinks the woman did nothing wrong and is surprised at the outrage around here i would just like to say;what that woman is doing is illegal therefore wrong by the definition.I dont care if she was not rude,the sheer proposition and illiciting people like this shows lack of manners!I hope she and every other H scam artists get cought!
Oh, I can imagine you :lecture: that woman in the middle of a shopping mall.
..................................................................................................................
:jammin:"We Were Never Being Boring/ We Had Too Much Time to Find for Ourselves"

Dear Ladies:

We are NOT warning Ms. Patz not to be a nice citizen; to help others in needs, but with her carrying a Birkin, that is a 'SIGN' of $ and an attention getter to lots of people out there; GOOD and BAD!!!

TX might be a friendlier state but if in LA, there are lots of recent incidents in the news paper where robber would approach ladies (in the parking lot at the mall or supermarket) of who dress nice and carry high end handbags, asking for directions and then within minutes grab their purses and immediately their 'partners' would drive-up and take-off before one even had a chance to re-act!!!

Now-a-day, with this tough economy, we are the few fortunate % of people who has spare $ to have such passion when others are still struggling to have their ends meet, so being CAREFUL is NOT a wrong gesture, just merely SELF-PROTECTION, wouldn't you agree?!

I would not of been rude. I would of just got the hell out of there

I just would of been " Street wise" , this could well have been a lure to other horrible things happening.
I say this as a victim of a mugging scam, I was mugged by a very wealthy looking gentleman and his croneys hiding in the crowd and lost my bag , my purse everything.
I was just glad I didnt get hurt.

Please dont judge a book by its cover this con artists are banking on people doing that.

I get approached on a fairly regular basis about my jewelry and it sometimes makes me nervous. Happened to me just yesterday. I rebuff any attempts at conversation and get away. I'm not interested in policing the criminals out there as I feel my safety is at stake.

Interestingly, my Kelly and Birkin are still undercover around here. :confused1: (Nice wallet! Is that Coach?) LOL

I say, do what you're comfortable doing. I basically turn to fright and flight mode. And more power to you who can challenge these creeps!

^^^ I totally agree. I would have been so flustered and not known what to do but walk away.

Anyway doing the policing like this would have been a bit much for me. I mean if I had the balls I would have even done a citizen's arrest for "solicitation to commit illegal activities" but I don't.

Now if I saw and heard someone bullying a handicapped person I am sure my reflex reaction would have to jump right in with both feet and berate the bully.