A Sad Purse Accident

Cat pee is one of the strongest odors -- more than dog's pee. My friend had to replace TWO leather couches because of her cat.

Maybe the cat is jealous of you. Did you BF mention if the cat has done the same thing to previous girlfriends?

Sorry to hear about your loss:crybaby: and I do believe it's a total loss. We had a problem with a cat who died a few years ago and we ended up replacing 1000's of $$$ in carpeting...Nothing and I do mean nothing worked. It was a medical issue. It was a nightmare...I was ill, the smell of that is something I'll never forget. I was reminded however when, A few weeks ago my daughter was spending the night at her girlfriends house and I picked her up the next morning...she told me that her friends cat had peed in her sleeping bag so she had to sleep with just a blanket on the floor. I asked her what she'd done with the sleeping bag and she said she just put it in her bag and thought we'd wash it. Luckily at that point we were pulling in the driveway at home...I jumped out of my car, opened the trunk and after only 5 minutes of having that stinky bag in there...my trunk smelled:wtf: . I grabbed a huge black garbage bag and thew the sleeping bag in there and dropped it by the curb for the garbage pickup a few days later. No way was that coming into the house. Next stop was Dicks sporting goods for another sleeping bag...

Honestly, I think your boyfriend of 10 months OWES you a trip to Louis Vuitton to replace some of the items the cat ruined. Did he even offer? Maybe not replace themall at one time, but it's shameful that he hasn't already done something like that. JMHO

Ackkk! I'm so sorry that this happened to you!:sad: I totally would have cried, too. Honestly, I can't think of anything that will completely remove the cat pee scent from your bag other than having the interior somehow replaced all together. Male cats have a tendency to mark their territory. Cats are really possesive and anything in a cat's home belongs to the cat in its mind. So, he scented it to show that your bag is now his. :sad: I don't know if female cats do this, though. DH had female cats and they never did that. His male cat that he had growing up did, though.

Ryan,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your bf owes you some new items, cat pee NEVER goes away. My sister's cat, angry with the new baby, peed on their brand new arm chair. Despite professionally cleaning the arm chair twice, the smell never went away and they ended up tossing the chair out. Your bf really does need to replace your items because his cat vindictively pissed your bag; yes, I said vindictively because that cat was jealous! I dated a guy who LOVED his cat, and every time I was over the guy's house, the cat would make a point to sit on top of me and dig her nails into my legs or bite me. She never peed on any of my items, but she did shred up a silk camisole of mine.:cursing:

Cat pee stench does not go away, not in my experience. Why would you leave your bag on the floor with cats you don´t live with :crybaby:? They mark stuff, especially non-neutered boys. Your bf should be offering to buy you replacement LV. Hope you get it settled:flowers:

Btw I hope you guys are not serious with these "kill the cat" comments. It´s an animal, it does not know the worth of stuff. I´m certainly not amused.

I feel your pain! I have an older cat who has "accidents" when she is upset. However do not give up, there is a product called "Petzyme" available at Petsmart and probably other places as well which in my experience goes a long way towards eliminating the smell. Of course I have only used it on carpet and in the wash (she is a baaaaad kitty sometimes) but it really has worked for me. It does have its own sort of disinfectant-type smell but hey, it's better that the stinky cat pee odor! Good luck! And FYI if you do get the smell out don't EVER let that cat near the bag again! You might not be able to smell it but the cat may still detect an odor and it will be an invitation to pee in your bag again.

OMG INSIDE the bag??? i'd be having a friggin' heart attack! i wouldn't know what to do to help, maybe put an open box of baking soda inside the bag and the bag shut? it worked in my car when my boyfriend spilled fish sauce and that has a strong smell also...

Wont be any help at the moment but while its still wet, getting baking soda on it helps a ton, I had this happen to a new Eagle Creek suit case, cat didn't like me going away and made the connection between the suit case and me going out of town, left it out once and made his mark. I swear by Eagle Creek as the best luggage on Gods green earth, and I still use that piece for years since, but its a fabric that you can stick under the shower etc. to clean off. In general, if its a material that can withstand being dusted with baking soda, its one of the best starts -- if its still wet get some on it and let it sit for a day or so to absorb what it can.

So sorry about those wonderful bags and items ... bad kitty !!!!

I definitely keep my bags out of my kitties reach, far from claws and any chance of them wanting to make a statement for whatever reason. I just have to try to remember to keep them away.

Vista

Thanks for all the hints and warm thoughts!

The bag and my LV items are currently sitting in piles of baking soda. Hopefully this helps.

I called Shoe Service Plus here in Manhattan (they are a GREAT shoe repair place - it's the shop Manolo Blahnik recommends). The guy said he can steam clean everything over the course of 3-4 days. He was pretty confident that it will come out.

I don't think a steam cleaning is exactly GOOD for LV, but at this point I think the things are probably ruined anyways, so it can't hurt to try, you know what I mean?

I'll keep everyone posted in case (God forbid!) it should happen to anyone else.

Ryan

The cat did it because she was jealous of you. The attention that your boyfriend gives you, I mean. When my DH was still a BF his cat peed on my clothes that were laying on a chair. She hated me....always screeching at me and hissing. Freakin' cat!