A purse collector's must have?

For me it's not about brand. For me, it's all about comfort and style. I enjoy and love a luxurious leather bag that withstands all the elements, that is light in weight and made strong to last. - That is what a purse collector should have!

I really love the classic look of the Chanel flap bag and would love to own one someday. That's probably my HG if I had to have one, but I'm not currently working my way towards owning a Chanel. I don't think there's any "must have" item for anyone because everyone's styles and tastes are different. Birkins and Kellys are HGs for lots of people, but I don't find myself attracted to those bags.

I'm not a collector, so I only buy what I will wear. But of the bags I see, I think maybe a Chanel (though I don't own it, because it's impractical), a Hermes of some sort (again not something I'd wear), and definitely a Bottega Veneta, maybe the Veneta hobo. Of these, I would carry only the BV, and am on the lookout for one sometime in the future :lol:. Others I think are classic are the Ferragamo Marisa, Lanvin Kentucky, Lanvin Happy, etc.

Hmmm...this requires some thought. I consider myself a collector, although my collection is far from complete, I have 'collected' the following:

YSL Cabas Chyc
YSL BDJ Clutch
YSL Easy
LV Mono Speedy 35
LV Damier NF GM
LV Vernis Alma
Ferragamo 'Speedy 40'
Fendy Zucca Spy (sold but considering repurchasing)
Gucci Bamboo Bar (recently sold)

I want to add a denim chanel tote and a chanel flap or accordion flap, a Givenchy Antigona or Nightingale, a Gucci 1970 python and another Fendi to my collection before I consider it complete. But dang, "complete" is a moving target and has such finality to it. I may not ever stop collecting!! :winkiss:

I am thinking of what bags looked good 5 years ago (or more) and still look contemporary (not aged) -

Chanel flaps
LV bags (mono, DE, DA patterns)
Hermes Birkins & Kellys
Bottega Veneta Veneta hobos
Balenciaga citys, works, weekenders

I am sure there are many more but to me, these bags have achieved 'classic' status to me and would look good in most any collection today or many years from now.

Like some here, I am not attracted to Hermes or LV or even Chanel really. My style is more edgy I guess, and since I am over 50 I don't see it changing much. Except for a few BV's most of my bags are Jimmy Choos which will probably never be seen as "classic" bags. Since I have been carrying some of them for quite some time, they are classic to me :girlsigh:

LV Speedy/Alma
Balenciaga city/PT
Chanel Flap
Prada saffiano tote
BV veneta
Hermes Birkin (not my cup of tea but should be in a handbag lovers collection if they like it)

And whatever your little heart desires!