A Mom In Need Of Support!!

1. Hi everyone....I just need a little support....my best friend is getting married next week, and I am flying back to the U.S. for her wedding. It is now four days before I am leave, and I am FREAKING OUT!!!! I hate leaving my kids....I am obsessing on everything that could go wrong from terrorists on the plane to ear infections with the kids, etc....I feel crazy right now!! I hardly ever travel, and although I know they will be fine at home with my DH, I go through this anytime I leave them. Do any of you other moms have the same sorts of feelings about leaving the kids, or am I a nutjob.....?????
  2. annemerrick, NO YOU ARE NOT A NUTJOB. YOU'RE JUST LIKE MY MOM!!! ;) My mom was horrified of leaving even for a day when me and my brother were growing up (now that we're both in our late 20s she's gotten a bit better... will actually go on trips for more than 3 days!) but I garuntee you nothing will happen. Look at me! ;)
    You're going to go to your friend's wedding anyways, so just try to enjoy the little bit of "self" time that you get!
  3. I act that way when I leave my 4 yr old at preschool!:shame: ...much less leave him with my husband to go to another country! I take my son everywhere with me, like we're attached at the hip, it's ridiculous....I'm glad I'm not the only one who is like this! Sorry, I'm no help in calming you down...just sympathizing with you.
  4. I had it when my son was a baby but it faded over the time. I kept on leaving him with my hubby or the grandparents and I'm happy that I did because he has such a deep relationship with them. He's very independent because every school holiday he travels 600 miles alone by airplane wo them and it's not that we want him to, it's him who insists seeing grandma and grandpa. He's 8 years old now and with 5 years he came up with the idea of flying to them as an unattended kid which means that the stewardess picks him up from my hands, seats him in the plane, checks on him 4 times on a 1h flight and takes him to my parents.I'm always a nut case when he flys alone even he does it about 6 times a year. It's just hard to let them go but I'm really sure that your kids will enjoy the time with their dad and it's good for your husband to spend time with them. Sorry I can't be of much help other than knowing exactly how you feel.
  5. Wow, you sound just like my mom in a way. My mom, whenever she travels, would cook and freeze every meal for us prior to. It was a bit of an overkill. I think it's natural to feel the way they do. Take a deep breath. The way you feel is a symptom of being a good mom! :smile:
  6. I am really glad that I am not the only one feeling this way....none of my girlfriends have children yet, so they just dismiss it, but I want to get over the leaving them so that I can feel excited!!! This is the first time I will stay in a hotel by myself (I am 32), and only the second that I have been anywhere on my own! I know I am going to have a blast....but I miss them already, and haven't even left yet!
  7. i'm always with my 2 yr. old. so everytime he leaves to go to the store with the DH or to sleep over my parents' house, just anytime he's apart from me, i freak out. i'm always thinking of what he's doing, is he okay, i hope he's not getting into anything where he can get hurt, etc. so yea, i pretty much know exactly what you're talking about. i hate feeling this way but what can we do? we're mothers.
  8. it never goes away!! i still feel this way about my 8 year old and my 3 year old ... actually .. i also feel this way about my 9 year old brother!! since mom gave birth to him when i was in high school and i was taking care of him when she was at work or out .. i feel that he is my SON not my BROTHER ... so believe me it is normal!! it just shows you are a great mom :smile: ... dont worry ok? ...
  9. You are not alone!!LOL! I am like that too!!! Have a good time..your hubby will be fine with being a mommy and you will only be THAT much more missed and appreciated when you come home!!
  10. OMG! I am totally like that! I think that just comes with the territory of being a mom! It's so hard to be without them, but just think of how wonderful it will be when you return like Jill said!
  11. I'd be panicky too if I have to fly somewhere for a wedding and I don't even have kids yet!

Just try to relax and make sure you have notes left on whatever you can think of that will come up when you're gone (meds or vitamins, stuff that kids do, food, etc). Good luck!

12. Relax..the kids will be fine! If I could raise two of them without anything awful happening, then anyone can! There hadn't been an infant in the family for 20yrs...mine were the first. I hadn't a clue what to do with a baby, yet it all turned out OK:biggrin:
  13. Of course you're a nut job, you're a mother aren't you!:nuts:

The first time I went away (coincidentally I was also going to a wedding!), I took a polaroid in one of those airport photo booths of my son and I together, and my son kept one and I kept the other with me while I travelled. He was about 15 months old, but now hat he's 13, he still has it and keeps it in a frame on his desk!
    Awwww, mommy's little baby!:love:
  14. Your so not alone. I have 3 kids 13 yrs. 9 yrs. and 3 yrs. I dont mind leaving the older 2 anymore, because I know they have a great time with family should I leave, but it KILLS me to leave my youngest even for a full day. Dont worry, your little ones will be fine with daddy, and as they get older, it gets much easier. Have a great mini vacation!!
  15. I think you are just feeling guilty about focusing on only you for that period of time :sad2: -- it's OK!!! You can go and have a good time AND your husband and kids will be just FINE!!! I know this first hand as I always go through this when I travel-- I'm married with 3 boys :p Just try not to think about it every minute you are gone and enjoy having the bed all to yourself all night for once!! :nuts: