A lovely gift for my mom w/pics!!!

1. Well, as some may remember I was on a mad hunt for the Luna Park scarf for my mother's b-day. She collects carousel horses, so this was just perfect. My sister and I are hosting a surprise b-day party for her and I wanted to give her something really very special this year. She is ALWAYS going the extra mile for her family and friends so we thought...let's do something special for her!!

So I was on the hunt and with the help of some fellow H ladies, I found the most stunning Red Luna Park for an amazing price!!

I want to give a BIG thanks to:
    * Colbaltblue for helping with a lot of info, links, etc.
    * Fleurdelis for sending me the name of the scarf after I admired pics. of her Luna Park
    * Dressage Queen for sending me a link to another stunning scarf!

2. Fantastic!!! I love the whole idea!
  3. WOW lovely LOVELY scarf!!!!! Your mam will be soooo Happy...... you're such a sweet daughter.... HUG
  4. That's just too sweet! *sniffle, sniffle*:crybaby:
  5. Congrats girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy you were able to locate this scarf. Your mom will LOVE it. It is my most worn, most loved, versatile scarf.
  6. You are wonderful, kind, caring daughters. As a mom, you make me proud! Bless you both, and have a wonderful celebration with your mother!
  7. Funny it's such a beautiful vibrant red... my mother has always said "only the most confident woman wear red"

Stayed with me :heart: Lovely story & scarf!
  8. Thanks everyone! I only wish I could find the booklet that comes with the scarf that tells the little store about it. Does anyone know where to find those???
  9. Congrats:tup: Your mum will adore it!!!
  10. AWW, thats great!! I was wondering how it turned out. Are you all set with the box, then?
  11. I just want to say how touched I am by your sis and your love for your mum. Have a good party!
  12. Awww, that is so sweet. lovely scarf, a very happy birthday to your Mom.
  13. What a sweet daughter you are. I know your Mom will love your thoughtful gift. It's lovely.
  14. how sweet you are! i'm so happy you were able to find this for your celebration.

there's a whole website about the carousel it depicts and its restoration: http://carouselptc30.customer.netspace.net.au/index.html

the following is taken from that site (and subject to their copyright).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]PTC#30, the thirtieth machine made by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC) in Pennsylvania, USA, was built in 1913. The carousel was specially ordered by entrepreneur, Cozens Spencer, for his new, White City amusement park in Sydney, Australia. In 1913 it cost him US$14,657.00 plus shipping![/SIZE] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Like a giant puzzle, the huge carousel, complete with cast iron machinery and hundreds of timber parts, set sail from America in October, 1913 and arrived in Sydney in November. Ten years later PTC#30 came to Melbourne for the grand re-opening of Luna Park in 1923. This was the carousel's second location where it has remained ever since and is fondly remembered by generations of Melburnians.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The carousel was one of PTC's "high class" rides, a grand machine designed for a permanent location. With a platform 52 feet in diameter, it still has the original 68 horses four abreast, 2 Roman chariots, elaborate decoration and 36 cherubs frozen in flight on the rounding boards. 26 original scenery paintings adorn the center panels and rounding boards, painted by PTC's Max Soltmann. During the recent restoration of PTC#30, it was discovered that much of the original paint was in tact on the majority of horses, rounding boards and center panels. Company ledgers confirm that much of this work was done by PTC's head painter of 30 years, Gustav Weiss.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]PTC#30 is almost identical in design to the four and five row machines PTC# 20, 21 and 22, made between1911 and 1912. These carousels and #30 shared the romantic theme "War and Peace" which allowed skilled PTC carvers great scope for creative invention and individuality in horse carving. Armour, swords and shields adorn the dark, spirited horses following the eagle chariot of War on PTC#30. The Peace chariot is more serene with a "Columbia" figurehead surrounded by carved flowers. She is followed by gentler horses with arched necks and softer colours. Lyrical flowers and butterflies are typical of PTC's romantic style and are liberally scattered around PTC#30.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Most PTC carousels had a lead horse, usually the most magnificently carved and often armoured like a medieval knight's steed. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]PTC#30's golden lead horse embodies both war and peace with it's war helmet and gentle angel. Of the 68 horses on PTC#30, 66 are jumpers (moving up and down) and 2 are standers (stationary on the platform). They were identified as "king horses" by the company on the 1913 assembly plans that accompanied the carousel to Australia. [/SIZE][/FONT]