A Just Punishment?

1. Woman sentenced for selling fake designer bags on eBay

Associated Press - January 16, 2008 9:45 AM ET

BRATTLEBORO, Vt. (AP) - A Northfield woman won't be going to jail after pleading guilty to charges she sold more than $100,000 of fake designer handbags and other accessories on eBay.

Jenny Donahue, also known as Jenny Bryant, was sentenced last week in federal court to five years probation for defrauding over 250 unsuspecting buyers. She also been ordered to refund the money and perform 100 hours of community service.

Prosecutors says the 28-year-old woman sold fake Hermes bags to a California woman for $4,100, a New York woman for $1,050 and a Texas woman for $2,250 in 2004 and refused to refund the money when the bogus bags arrived.

Donahue pleaded guilty to fraud charges in June.

Prosecutors had asked for a prison term but the judge denied it because Donahue has young children.

Information from: The Times Argus, http://www.timesargus.com/
  2. Hopefully that scared her enough for the selling to end. I´m so glad the people involved are getting refunded.
  3. No gallows too high in my opinion - a bit harsh maybe but fraud is fraud and she should have thought about the children and how crime has consequences for families beforehand.
  4. I don't think it's harsh. She cheated people's hard-earned money.
  5. i think that is good...the key is she has to pay people back. so I think that is a really good punishment.
  6. Sorry. I take no pity on people who make a business cheating innocent people. About time!
  7. Agree.
  8. I hope they keep up with her, that she is paying back all the money and she doesn't disappear after returning a few thousand. I don't know how to make her punishment harsher (involving children), but I don't think this sentence is enough to scare a con/scam artist straight.
  9. Hopefully the press generated from this will be enough for alot of the handbag sellers (those that knowingly sell non authentic items as authentic) on eBay to take down their auctions.
  10. :yahoo:
  11. Hopefully others will learn from this and the amount of fakes being sold will decrease.

12. I doubt it will scare off the hardcore. The random who might be tempted might rethink, but those snakes that make alot of money off of people will figure the benefits will outweigh the costs, if they even get caught. How many cheats are there vs how many have had this result? :cursing:

People are embarrassed to report they got scammed maybe?
  13. She sold over $100,000.00 worth of fake handbags and only a handful of people reported her. I wonder how many others are carrying fake Hermes bags they bought from her and are unaware they are fake?
    Ebay should be forced to hand over her auction history and people should be contacted.
    I think that anyone who buys an Hermes Bag on Ebay would be wise to take it to Hermes and send it for spa treatment. That way they will find out sooner than later if it turns out to be fake.
  14. Wow, $100,000! 100 hours of community service? Way too lenient!
  15. I am sorry but I don't think this sentence is enough. I would have hoped in something much harsher.