A great book - with a disappointing ending?

1. Jodi Picoult is my absolute favorite fiction writer. Ever since reading Plain Truth a few years ago, I fell in love with her novels. I picked up her latest one, Nineteen Minutes, at Borders the other day, along with The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. The Kite Runner was a great book. I am going to pick up his second novel sometime next week.

Anywho, I also loved Nineteen Minutes, it was a total page turner. It was about a school shooting that disturbs a small New Hampshire town, and really looks deep into bullying, favoritism and the "small town" mentality. I finished it today over my lunch hour, and after an anticipated, page-turning climax to the book - the ending was so disappointing and sad! :sad: I read My Sister's Keeper a few months ago (also by Picoult) and found that ending sad, but it also had closure to it, in a way. But not Nineteen Minutes.

Anyone ever read a book that is wonderful, up until the ending? Argh! I find that so frustrating, when the ending leaves you wondering and asking questions about the lives of characters that are completely fictional.

Or maybe I love reading way too much ;)

2. I love Jodi Picoult too! I've read most of her books as well. I was disappointed by the ending of Nineteen Minutes too. I hate to be so involved in a book & then disappointed...

I just got the Kite Runner but I haven't read it yet. I hope I like it too!

3. I'm definitely not a Jodi Picoult fan but definitely have had that happen to me with other books. Even though it is fiction, you've invested in it and deserve a satisfying ending. That's not to say that it must be a happy ending but one that does not leave you frustrated!

I can't remember the title but I read a novel recently where the "major" secondary characters were completely forgotten at the end. It made me really mad!

4. I love Jodi Picoult, but haven't read that particular book - am waiting for it to come out in paperback in the UK :smile:
    BUT, I hate books which don't tied ends up or leave things unfinished? Kinda ruins the ending every time. x

5. LOL I felt the same way - I got so involved in the book and the characters, and when I got to the ending I was like, "Jodi, WTF?!" :p But I guess that's the sign of a good storyteller. Someone who gets you so into the story and the characters that they become almost "real" to you.

I hope you like The Kite Runner, too! It was just wonderful - the visuals the author paints, the way he explains Afghan culture. It was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I heard A Thousand Splendid Suns (his second book) is also supposed to be very good. I'm waiting to buy it until I go down to the Keys for vacation so I can have a good read while having a sunset cocktail :nuts:

slowlyfading - It's a good thing I didn't say anything else about the book ;) I hope you enjoy it!

6. that is definitely disappointing! i get so wrapped up in books and i invest not just my time, but my emotions...i love character-driven novels, and i hate endings that just end!

7. I remember reading 19 Minutes, it definitely has an open ending, but it didn't bother me too much.

I do agree about the cliff hanger endings-they drive me mad. I just read a book that ended with a line like, "The door knob turned."

LOL, I actually went online to see if my book has the right page count because I thought I was missing pages!

8. I didn't like 19 minutes because of the ending.