A family friend died yesterday morning.

1. She had Lou Gehrig's Disease. Everyone knew it was coming so it wasn't surprising.

But when my dad just told me it was a slap in the face.

2. I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family.
  3. So sorry about your loss. My son-in-laws mother has this disease and it is just terrible.
  4. Im so sorry for your loss. My husband lost his aunt to this disease. My prayers are with you and your family.
  5. i'm so sorry for you and your family. my thoughts and prayers are with you.
  6. Thanks, everyone.

My parents said their goodbyes already.

If there's any possible good thing to come out of this, it's that her two daughters are closer.

My parents said they'd represent me at the funeral.
  7. I'm very sorry for your loss. Even when you know these things are coming, it feels impossible to be "prepared" for them. I'll keep you (and your family) in my thoughts.
  8. so sorry!!Thats such a horrible disease...
  9. I lost my dad to Lou Gehrig's disease almost two years ago. It is awful. Sorry for your loss.
  10. Oh I'm so sorry!!! If you ever need to talk, we are all hear for ya! (((Hugs))).
  11. So sorry for you & your family!
  12. My prayers and thoughts are with you, family and friends!
  13. I am so sorry. My kind thoughts to you.

I have lost many friends and relatives.

The best advice I can give you is that you will be able to schedule your collapses. That sounds strange, I know.

I always knew I would sob many times a day for the first several months. But I found that I could compartmentalize or schedule my breakdowns.

If I was at work - for example - I would just tell myself to hold on and focus on something else like a chore that needed to be done. I would tell myself that I would get a grief break in just a few hours.

That process would let me hold on for a few hours until I could get some alone time at home or during a lunch hour. Then I would sob my heart out.

Don't worry about crying in public. If anyone asks you about it, just say you recently lost a good friend and you are in grief.

Good luck!
  14. Oddly enough, I'm not breaking down anymore. I cried for about three hours and then off and on after that and I wouldn't say I'm fine, but I don't feel like crying anymore.

I miss her terribly, but it gives me some comfort, knowing she's at peace.

Thanks for everyone's love and support.
  15. I am not familiar with the disease, but I am with losing a loved one. My condolences to you and your family, and a big hug.