A colleague and I were talking about our childhoods today

1. And it made me think about how things have changed. Growing old sucks! :p Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have......

As children we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. We played dodgeball and sometimes the ball would really hurt when it hit us in the FACE. We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda and kool-aid, but we were never overweight; we were always outside playing.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Some students weren't as smart as others or didn't work hard so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Our generation has produced some of the greatest risk-takers and problem solvers. We had the freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we've learned how to deal with it all.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Keds (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors.

I can't recall any injuries... but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now. Flunking gym was not an option, even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Every year, someone taught the whole school a lesson by running in the halls with leather soles on linoleum tile and hitting the wet spot. How much better off would we be today if we only knew we could have sued the school system.

I also remember being told by teachers that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I must be repressing my memory as I try to rationalize through the denial of the dangers could have befallen us as we trekked off each day about a mile down the road to some guy's vacant lot, built forts out of branches and pieces of plywood, made trails, and fought over who got to be Wonder Woman and The Hulk.

We played king of the hill on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the bactine and then we got our butts spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $149 bottle of antibiotics and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at any of the relatives or the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butts spanked (physical abuse) ...and then we got our butts spanked again when we got home.

Mom invited the Fuller Brush salesman inside for coffee, kids choked down the dust from the gravel driveway while playing with Tonka trucks (remember why Tonka trucks were made tough??) It wasn't so that they could take that ugly shag carpet in the rumpus room, and my Dad drove a 1965 Ford Falcon fueled with leaded gas.

I should probably sue the folks now for the danger they put us in when we all slept in campgrounds in the family tent.

Summers were spent behind the push lawnmower and I didn't even know that mowers came with motors until I was 11 and we got one without an automatic blade-stop or an auto-drive.

How sick were my parents? Of course my parents weren't the only psychos.

I recall Patrick Ludwig from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the back deck just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead...she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amock.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes?

We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! :p

How did we survive? :lol:

(Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.. :p )

2. that was good, it would be a successful email forward! I'm only 20 and a lot of that I remember even from MY childhood which wasn't all that long ago. things were definitely different for my 9 year old sister.
    yep. MY generation has produced a mass of disillusioned young people who have the greatest communications opportunity the world has ever known and yet can get no farther than 'lOL how ru doing???//' on aim and 'Wow, THIS profile tracker REALLY WORKS! ****!' on myspace.

3. Bethany,

My stepdaughter and you are the same age. Don't sell yourself short. One thing I have noticed about young people my stepdaughter's age is that they are much more socially conscious/aware than I was at that age. They really seem to care about making the world a better place. When we were that age, our idea of a better world was sex/drugs/rock'n'roll! :blink:

4. It IS an email forward. I've seen this one before.

But much of it is still true.

We had no a/c at home. We had windows. My family didn't even have *gasp!* a car.:shocked:
    No one was driving us anywhere-we walked or took a bus.
    To get to school I walked alone through a wooded area where there
    were no houses so basically each day of grades 1-6 was an opportunity
    to be kidnapped. I realized that a few years ago. Scary.:cry: But it didn't happen thank goodness...

5. Kitskats,

Did you have friends whose parents SMOKED in the house?? I remember going to kids' houses and the parents were smoking around the kids like it was no big deal... We only had one car till I was 14! :blink:
    My colleague (lawyer) is older than I am, so most of what was sent to me is more applicable to people who were little in the 60s I think. Things got a little weirder in the 70s, especially growing up in San Francisco.

6. OMG my parents used to smoke in the house! I remember I was 12 when they started smoking outside or in the garage only - and I was 17 when they started 'trying' to quit. Luckily they really did quite about 10 years ago........funny how beliefs change

7. Wow .... that was a trip down memory lane for me. Thanks for the post. You are a great storyteller! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Btw, do you remember the games we used to play that didn't cost any money? (i.e. kick the can ... red light, green light .... freeze tag .... simon says .... marco polo)

8. Kat, my post was vague (brain dead yesterday due to huge report on 17 yo sociopath I am trying to finish :hrmm: ).... but my friend (the lawyer) sent me that, its been circulating around... but I do agree with it.

I can remember all the games we played. Hopscotch and jump rope were personal favorites along with hide n' seek. Also red light/green light too!! Do you still remember your jump rope songs? It bugs me that I can't remember any of them!

9. My mom used to smoke around us continuously, and we were always getting colds, bronchitis, pleurisy, other respiratory ailments. Some changes to protect kids' health aren't always bad....

That said, we used to traipse around in the hills and learned to avoid rattlesnakes and poison oak (and the occasional opium poppies that the hippies would plant in the ravine behind my friend's house). :p

10. I remember friends of my Mom smoking while PREGNANT!!!

11. I loved freeze tag. That was so much fun.

I used to have this toy called a Lemon Twist that I used to play with all the time. It was a giant plastic lemon on the end of some black rubber cord that you would loop around your ankle and then jump over as it would spin around. Also, I remember being able to get on my bike and ride all over town and be gone all day with out my mom worrying. You just can't let kids do that anymore, it is really sad.

12. OMGGGGGG I had a lemon twist too!!!! I can't believe you had one of those!!!!!

13. **usually did this one with a long rope and turners on each end**
    Texaco, Texaco, (swing rope back and forth)
    over the hills to Mexico! (swing the rope over for the rest of this)
    Spanish dancers do the splits, splits, splits,
    Spanish dancers do high kicks, kicks, kicks,
    Spanish dancers turn around, round, round,
    Spanish dancers touch the ground, ground, ground,
    Spanish dancers get out of town, town, town,
    (jump out in time to rope swings)
    Spanish dancers jump back in, in, in.
    (jump back in to time of rope swings)

Bluebells, cockle shells,
    Eevie, ivy, over;
    Mother went to market
    To buy some meat;
    Baby's in the cradle
    Fast asleep.
    The old clock on the mantel says
    One o'clock, two o'clock..
    (to twelve o'clock)

Cinderella dressed in yella,
    Went downstairs to kiss a fella,
    Made a mistake and kissed a snake.
    How many doctors did it take
    1, 2, 3, . . . . (until you miss)

Gypsy, gypsy
    Please tell me.
    What's my sweetheart going to be:
    Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief,
    Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief? (until you miss - the one you miss on is the answer)

I like coffee,
    I like tea.
    I like ________ to jump with me. (friend jumps in with you, and you jump together)

Mabel, Mabel, set the table,
    Just as fast as you are able.
    Don't forget the salt, sugar, vinegar, mustard,
    red-hot pepper! (skip fast here)

These are the only ones I can remember!:flowers:

14. Pippi! I could kiss you right now! THAT FIRST ONE WAS MY FAVORITE!!!! :love: But we used to sing them all!

15. which one?

the first was my favorite, and since there were 4 girls (and 5 boys!!!!) in our family, we could do this (the skipper would take the next turn as turner and we'd rotate through)