7 year old commits suicide :(

1. Just read this news article....

7-year-old boy hangs himself: US authorities

Saturday Oct 27 14:21 AEST
    A 7-year-old boy hanged himself at his home in southern New Jersey, a prosecutor said in the latest sign of an increase in suicides by young people and adolescents.
    The boy, who has not been identified by authorities, was discovered by family members in his bedroom in Vineland, New Jersey, about 65 kilometers south of Philadelphia, said Lt. Thomas Ulrich of the Vineland police.
    Prosecutor Ronald Casella said the boy was found hanging from a bed post with a belt around his neck. He was dead when paramedics arrived, the prosecutor said.
    There were no indications that the boy's death was a homicide or the result of child abuse, Casella said.
    [​IMG]He said it was possible that the death could have been the accidental result of a game but there were no other children involved.
    "Indications are that this was deliberate," Casella said.
    The boy was a second-grade student at the Cunningham Elementary School in Vineland.
    According to school authorities, the boy appeared to be a good student who was in a program for gifted and talented students, Casella said.
    He said the boy had had no discipline problems, and was regarded as well liked by his peers.
    Casella said the boy came home from school on Wednesday afternoon and was told to go to his room and do his homework. When he failed to come out after some time, family members went in and found him hanging, Casella said.
    The boy's mother, stepfather, grandfather, and two siblings were home at the time, Ulrich said.
    Dr. David Fassler, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Vermont at Burlington, said the suicide of such young children was "relatively rare" but that suicide is the fifth-most common cause of death among 5 to 14-year-olds in the United States.
    Fassler said parents and teachers should be aware of potential suicide signals.
    "When your child talks about suicide, you need to take it seriously," he said. "It's always a signal that something is going on."
    The American Journal of Psychiatry reported in September that suicide among young people under age 19 rose 14 percent in 2004, the latest year for which data is available, compared with 2003.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said last month that suicide among 10 to 24-year-olds had increased by 8 percent in 2004 following a decline of almost a third during the previous 15 years.
    Dr. Alvin Rosenfeld, a child psychiatrist in New York City and a professor at Harvard Medical School, said he had never heard of a suicide in a child as young as 7.
    "It's going to lead a lot of parents to be very anxious," Rosenfeld said.

[​IMG]

Gosh that is just heartbreaking. How does a 7 year old even know about how to kill themselves? It's just tragic.

2. I cant imagine how he'd know how and why to kill himself... he's the same age as my brother :sad:

3. That is so sad. Poor child. Society from my viewpoint seems to put too much pressure on children/young adults nowadays, and sadly, some seem to not be able to handle it. So tragic.

4. Agreed.So unusual, esp since it seems he was well-cared for and no signs of being troubled.:sad:

5. wow that is really disturbing. I can't imagine what his family must be going through right now.

6. OMG my DD is 6 ... I don't think she has any clue what death really is, much less what suicide is. This is so disturbing to me. How in the world did this kid know about hanging oneself? My knee-jerk reaction is he must have seen something of the sort on television -- there is so much violence on TV. I just don't know what to say. :huh:

7. How sad...

8. Very sad and disturbing. I wonder what was on this boy's mind that caused him to take his own life.

9. So sad, I can't even imagine! My son is 7, WOW! I wonder if he watched a TV show or Movie that showed someone hanging themself, I just don't know how a 7 yr. old would know how to do this.

10. How tragic. I didn't even know what suicide was when I was 7. Prayers going out to the family and loved ones.

11. I'm wondering this too. That is so sad, I can't even begin to imagine what his parents are going through.

12. I hate to say it, but this should serve as a wakeup call for parents. The media is overstimulating the youth in the world and it's so tragic. I get so upset when I see kids trying to look like Paris Hilton at age 12, or smoking, drinking, or anything like that. I just wish people would go back to the way it was in the 40s and 50s and have good family time, instead of thinking E! is quality programming. It just makes me so mad that everyone is grown up past their years now. Just another reason why my future kids will go to private school and not be allowed to wear trendy stuff. Does anyone else feel like this is an epidemic in the US (or other countries)?

13. So sad. Poor little guy. I hate to think of how much he must have been hurting inside to do that. Of course I feel that way for anyone who commits suicide.

14. Im sorry but i put the blame on all the :censor: you see on TV and in Movies.....im sorry but everytime i switch on the TV i see a corpse and i dont think its what i want to see.....And current states of violence in the country and the war is also not helping.....Its the worst thing....that a poor young and innocent child kills himself because something bothers him soo much and he cant talk about it or change anything about it....

We should reflect on our actions......My prayers are with his family.....

15. I COMPLETLY agree !!!!