50th wedding anniversary gift ideas???

1. For my inlaws....we want to get soemthing really special ...Im thinking a nice Lalique piece of some sort that we can get something ingraved on and have on an elegant stand or something...Im kind of at a loss....any ideas???

2. Are they into watches? How about an elegant or sporty or classic, etc (depending on their personality) set of matching watches? You know, where they have the larger face for the mens and smaller face for womens. That way, they can wear them together, without looking too matchy matchy and be also be reminded of you guys.

I just thought of this b/c DH has recently gotten into expensive watches....

Oh, and perhaps you can get it engraved as well.

3. GREAT idea...but we are all into our rolex watches and selfishly...I really do not want to replace thiers! (now a new one for me.... lol...)

4. Ooh! Whats the rule on anniversary gifts again? Just out of curiosity. Isn't it like on the 25th you give silver or something?

Sorry Sunshine, I'm terrible at gift ideas. . .Maybe lockets? Or compasses, sort of like a symbolic thing about their 'journey' in life :/ I know that's corny, I cant really think of anything.

5. How about a scrapbook filled with photos and rememberances from family and friends? Or getting their original wedding party (bridesmaids and ushers) back in one place again? Or maybe flying in a family member or friend who couldn't be there otherwise?

6. That would be sweet. Maybe if you still want to do the engraving thing, you could get the frame engraved.

7. We are actually flying in to be with them so a scrap book idea would be a good thing to get cracking on!!! THank you for the ideas!!!!

8. what about getting one of their wedding photos framed and refinished?
    on my parent's 25th I got the movie reel of their wedding and i had it copied onto a VCR tape .. it was nice to see the people there :smile: they hadnt seen the wedding movie since they got married so it was teary night :smile: it was amazing!!

9. his angel I was about to suggest the same thing! My mother in law had her parent's wedding photo digitally redone by a professional and it looked great! Sunshine maybe you can have their pics redone and put them in a fabulous album?

10. Maybe an old pair of antique crystal or silver goblets for their celebration! They can toast their 50th with them. A really old pair would be fun to search for, sometimes you can find ones with heart motifs.

11. Sunshine, congrats to your inlaws.

Some good ideas suggested so far. As usual, I depend on google and yahoo and like some of the suggestions on eHow.

http://www.ehow.com/tips_136.html

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]8 tips from eHow users: [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Write a poem in gold ink, place in gold frame Katherine[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]My husband's aunt and uncle specified no gifts. I just couldn't walk in there without something, so... You can write a poem on ivory paper with gold ink and place it in a gold-tone frame. And I added a gift certificate for $60.00 for a dinner for two. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Make Something Unique from Wood melissa G.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I created a rectangular wooden fruitbowl from a basswood board (1" X 8" X 48"). All sides are mitered at 45-degree angles; the corners cut on a compound angle to a sanded fit; sides gracefully shaped and fitted inside and out. It's beautiful and light! [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Thanks. Your vote has been counted.Rate this tip: [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Create a quilt Amy[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Create a family quilt, one square done by each immediate family member. You don't need to be a quilter. You can use colored wax (crayons), fabric paint, fabric, buttons, etc. If necessary, hire someone to stitch the squares together and apply backing. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The perfect gift for your 50th anniversary shar C.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A great gift that is still not widely talked about is a signature frame. It is great because you can display photos on the inside of your frame of some of your favorite memories and have it surrounded by friends and guests that attend your 50 year anniversary. Many of them come with gold frames and a custom engraved brass plaque to tie-in the gold theme. What a great way to remember a once in a lifetime amazing achievement. It also makes a great gift to present to them as a surprise already signed by everyone. Do a search on Google or Yahoo news under "signature frames" for the best priced frames. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Family History Gift Pam[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]My siblings and I pooled our money and hired a professional genealogist to research our parents family trees. She found some amazing information and we used her report to create a special family history chart that we framed and we put all of the information in a scrapbook. My parents loved it and now they have a new hobby because they want to find out more about their families. Find a professional at www.apgen.org. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]50 year slide show Meenu T.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]For my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary, I collected photographs from all of their immediate family members and scanned them to create a slide show. We played this slide show at their wedding anniversary party. The show had pictures from the last 50 years of their life and with everyone who was at the party. Everyone, including my in-laws, were delighted to see the pictures. This gift was appreciated by all. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]7. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]50 year photo journey [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]When my father was reaching 50, we browsed the family photo box and selected 'typically Dad' photographs: starting from him (age ± 8 yrs) hanging over his (20+ yrs old) brother's motorbike, ending with the photo of his 25th wedding anniversary. All photos, together with important newsflashes that we dug up, were scattered randomly on an A3-size wrapping paper and placed in a picture frame. The picture frame was shown to every visitor before they even got the chance to congratulate him. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]8. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Photo CD of memories Michele[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]For my parents 50th year wedding anniversary I gathered as many pictures as I could of their life together, starting with their dating and ending at the present. I included their wedding, pictures of them with their parents, pictures of them with their children and grandchildren - taking care to mark special occasions such as weddings, graduations, christenings, etc. I scanned them all and I then created a slide show on Microsoft Powerpoint. The pictures were in chronological order, and I added an introductory slide with a title. I made sure the transition between slides was a fade out/fade in, for a softer effect. I then added music (easy to do in Powerpoint). I chose classic and also more current songs ("Can't Help Falling in Love with You" by Elvis, "Still the One" by Shania Twain). The music was really the key, it really stirred the emotions and narrated the show.

At the big family celebration, we turned down the lights and ran the slide show. My parents were crying within 10 seconds of its starting! By the time it was done, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. My parents were speechless, seeing their life together flash right in front of their eyes. I made copies for everyone.

This is easier than it sounds. I'm no pro at Powerpoint, but it's so user-friendly. It is quite time consuming, but it is definitely worth the time. [/SIZE][/FONT]

12. Maybe you can a painting done of their wedding photo.

13. What about a professional family portrait? Just a thought. Although I also really like the idea of having a special dinner for them with all of their bridal party and best friends. What a wonderful occasion to celebrate with friends and family. Of course, a champagne toast is definitely in order!

14. My parents celebrated their 50th in November. They didn't want anything, so the kids all chipped in and we got them the honeymoon suite in the hotel they had their honeymoon in. It was in Manhattan, and when the hotel found out about it, they comped my folks Champagne and a dinner. We got them 2 nights in the city, an Opera ticket, a wonderful second dinner at a restaurant (gave them money for it), and a Limo to take them back and forth from NJ to NYC. They loved it.

We also gave them pin money for shopping and expenses. They didn't want a party- and mom had re done the pictures a few years back - so those ideas were taken. They had a real nice, and mom said "romantic" time.

15. you guys are the BEST!!!!! Many thanks!