5 Dead in Strip mall Shooting; Gunman At LArge

1. - A gunman who shot and killed five women in a clothing store at a suburban Chicago strip mall Saturday remains at large, police said.

Police investigate the scene of a shooting at the Brookside shopping center in Tinley Park, Illinois.

The motive for the shooting at the Lane Bryant store was a robbery that "at some point went rather poorly," said Tinley Park police Sgt. T.J. Grady.

All of the victims were found in a back room of the store, he said.

Their identities were not released.

Grady told reporters that a 911 call reporting the shooting came in at 10:44 a.m.

Stores in the strip mall were thoroughly searched, he said, and "it appears the offender has left the area." Watch police describe the crime scene »

Shoppers in nearby stores described a tense situation after the shooting.

"I was so scared I couldn't think," said Selena Kujawa, who was in a Target across from the Lane Bryant store, according to The Associated Press.

The store was locked down for about an hour as police searched for the gunman, the AP reported. There was a similar scene in a pet supply store nearby.

"Six police entered the store with their hands on their gun holsters," Tracy Caccavella told the AP.

The gunman was described as an African-American man, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing between 230 and 260 pounds, Grady said. He was wearing a waist-length black winter coat, a black cap and dark jeans.

Authorities believe there was only one shooter, Grady said. Helicopters are helping in the search for the gunman, who is no longer believed to be in the immediate area, he said.

Police appealed to the public for help, urging anyone with information to contact police at 708-444-5368.

The Chicago Tribune reported the shopping center is just south of Interstate 80 and contains a Super Target, a Kohl's clothing store and several restaurants. E-mail to a friend

2. OMG...this is so horrible! I hope they catch this loser and give him exactly what he deserves!
  3. this is so sad...I hope they catch the person who did this.
  4. How sad. I hope they catch him before he hurts anyone else!
  5. Anyone who does this type of shooting, in a mall crowded with people on a Saturday is a madman. I hope they catch him soon. Pathetic excuse for a human being.
  6. I am always looking over my shoulder at malls now days. Am I too paranoid?

I can't imagine what must have been going through their minds.
  7. Nope, I'm scared to go to malls and crowded places as well. Once there was a couple of guys in Safeway wearing trenchcoats and "Goth" style clothing, had dyed black hair and well, Goth in a Trenchcoat. Weird part was it was summertime, and I think it was like 90 degrees outside. This was right after another mass shooting, I forget where, it was last summer. My heart was in my throat while watching them walk down the aisle. All I could think of was Columbine.

I know we shouldn't judge people by the way they dress (especially where I live) but sometimes, you just can't help it.
  8. This is so sad. How can people kill that many innocent individuals for NO REASON? Not even for money, but a BOTCHEd attempt at getting money..
  9. Apparently one person is from my town (I'm about 90 miles from Chicago) but they haven't released names! So so scary! They are telling police to be watching other Lane Bryant stores in the Chicagoland area!
  10. OMG! This is about 25 minutes from my house and I knew one of the ladies killed, the manager of the store :crybaby:
  11. did they find the people who were responsible ?
    the media doesn't seem to be talking about this for some odd reason so i don't know what's going on since yesterday.
  12. Not that I have heard .... Rhoda, the manager who was killed, we used to go to the same church and she also used to work with my brother in law for like 12 years, well he also knew her exhusband and he said the description of the gunman sure fit him but this was just coming from my BIL, nothing from the media :shrugs:
  13. What a crying shame!
  14. This is very close to where I live, In fact I was driving on 80 and DH and I thought there was a car accident becuase there were helicopters all over. It's scary that this guy is still out there. They have no idea who did it. I really doubt I will be going to the mall anytime soon now. Who knows if he will do it again.
  15. I work at a LB and we started getting phone calls about 45 minutes after it happened. We are located in a strip center so we were on high alert all day. We are about 8 hours away but you can't help but be a nervous wreck the rest of the day. Even as employees of the company we haven't heard much more than what the media has been reporting. *shrug* I hope they come out with something more in the near future.