3 questions

For me, being materialistic is putting material things above all other else. I do not think I am materialistic based on my definition. Yes, I do love the finer things in life, but I worked hard for these. I did not steal or sell my body to be able to buy these things. And, I do not judge people based on what they have. My relationships with friends and family are based on trust, goodwill and love. With regards to a man who wants a "low maintenance" wife, well I think what he means that he does want a beautiful and welldressed wife but he is not willing to finance it.

I guess materialistic would mean valueing things above everything else. (I mean, thinking that things are more important than human relationships, for example).
I don't think that I'm that materialistic, but I naturally covet beautiful objects -- part of the reason that I went into art, I think.
I really am pretty low maintenance, though. I'm resigned to not owning all of the birkins in the world!

I am VERY touched by all your replies!

I thought no one would respond cos I thought I didn't make any sense. Thank you, ladies, for your sharing. And it was so touching to read happybug's post on her life.

I always feel being materialistic means having the ultimate objective to acquire lots of earthly possessions, using various kinds of methods to achieve that goal.

I thought I am materialistic at times, esp when my whole brain is on BAGS and WATCHES. And I get pretty upset when I can't buy them. But there is great satisfaction when I overcome these temptations (even for a while!).

I just don't like it when guys pass remarks that we girls would want husbands that have $$, cars and career. As if we are so shallow! And they would say better to marry ladies from XX country cos they are more demure and gentle.... unlike Singapore girls - demanding and hard-to-please.

No matter what happens in life, I do hope I don't place earthly non-living things above all. **cross finger

This is interesting! I think being materialistic is focusing ONLY on material items - meaning that there's just not much more to you than that.

I do not truly think I am materialistic in that I believe I am a good person, try to live with morals and values and pass those on to my children. I DO, however, LOVE nice things....and want them in my life! Always have, always will....

A man who says he wants a low mantenance wife, well....most men probably would SAY that, however, most men also admire those who take care of themselves, putting effort into their appearance, etc., and probably mean they just don't want to go broke FUNDING a high maintenance wife! MY dh had a LOW maintenance gal before me and she was NOT the cream of the crop! We often laugh that he might have more money but he would be missing - well me of course!! Haha...even my ds (15) says he wants a good looking girl who shops a lot....go figure! Guess he figures shopping girls are a.ok! (I hope this didn't come out as snobby which I didn't mean it to!):love:

CoachKatie said:
My first attempt accidently got erased. UGH!

Anyway, here's my opinion.

1) Materialistic is when someone enjoys or doesn't mind spending the extra money to have the finer things in life, whether it's cars, jewelry, handbags, or clothing... anything really. Maybe houses? I'd never say being materialistic is a negative thing. If you can do it... do it! The only people who call people materialistic and want to be mean about it are those who haven't been given the chance to be materialistic about anything.

2) I can openly admit that I am materialistic. It doesn't go to my head, I don't run around going, "haha, I got this and this". It just is what it is. I'm very self-sufficient and I fully pay for everything I have. It's my money, if I want nice things... so be it. As long as it's not ruining my life, I don't think it should be of anyone's concern. I'm not worried about it.

3) Low Maintenance can be many different things. Some women don't need very much affection, some can pay their own way, some just don't feel the need to buy anything extra for themselves, or maybe he wants someone "low maintenance" because he figures that none of his income will eventually be her's. It really depends on how each person defines it. I've never been called low maintenance before... or high maintenance really. I've had friends joke about it, whether they were serious or not, it doesn't really matter. It doesn't really bother me if someone says they want someone either high or low maintenance. If they're looking for something that specific, I'm sure it will be hard to find. Heck, it's probably hard to find a lady who doesn't want to be pampered!

Just my opinions... no one else was really jumping at the chance to reply to this one...

agreed!!