1st Birkin: Shld it be black or colored?

Jan 27, 2009
Dear ladies, need yr advises. Owning a B is really a happy feeling but I'm not sure if I shld get a black w ghw or a colored B. What do u ladies think? I do have a herbag in rubis. Also is black w ghw hard to locate?

Thks in advance 

Dear ladies, need yr advises. Owning a B is really a happy feeling but I'm not sure if I shld get a black w ghw or a colored B. What do u ladies think? I do have a herbag in rubis. Also is black w ghw hard to locate?

Thks in advance 

HI! I have a black togo gold hardware (I think not sure whether its togo or clemence got it a while ago from an luxury exchange store) personally, being a student and 24, I think if you're buying a bag for that price, it should be black so you have more place to use it. and of course, black is as classic as it gets:d but then again what r u handbags usually like? black or colored?:d

elnazsn said:
HI! I have a black togo gold hardware (I think not sure whether its togo or clemence got it a while ago from an luxury exchange store) personally, being a student and 24, I think if you're buying a bag for that price, it should be black so you have more place to use it. and of course, black is as classic as it gets:d but then again what r u handbags usually like? black or colored?:d

Hi elnazsn, my current handbags r mostly black n neutral colors like taupe, beige etc. I do hope Tat e bags I get now can b passed down to my daughters. Tat said as it wil b my 1st B & for e amt I'll b paying, I certainly hope I can decide on a color Tat would b timeless. I'm getting it from a reseller hence e colors available might not b alot. But there is a black w ghw available now. So I'll need to decide soon.

hermesmonkey said:
I would choose anything but black, even if I were afraid of color. Get a great non black dark neutral like cassis, bleu de pruesse, rough h, even etain or etoupe.

There's actually an option at d reseller. It's a blue Jean. But I felt Tat it's abit too casual? Hence thinking of a color Tat can b used both dress up & down. Maybe a red?

There's actually an option at d reseller. It's a blue Jean. But I felt Tat it's abit too casual? Hence thinking of a color Tat can b used both dress up & down. Maybe a red?

Blue jean is a casual color but remember a birkin is a tote

What do you mean dress up? What size are you considering? I have to wear suits so that is my normal garb which I still consider "dressing up" since I really just want to live in t shirts! Any size birkin can work with suits. If ou are thinking dress up with a pretty dress, it all depends. The birkin in reality is a casual tote unless in a 25 cm.

I actually will also buy now my first Birkin, I order a GOLD GHW 35B. I think it is a very classy colour and also timeless. However do I also adore the red ones. Red will definetely be my next B. Specially when you have various of other Black bags, I would not go for a Black one. This is somehow boring. Better to go for red, gold or etoupe. These are my 3 favourite colours !

hermesmonkey said:
I would choose anything but black, even if I were afraid of color. Get a great non black dark neutral like cassis, bleu de pruesse, rough h, even etain or etoupe.

I agree. I do not own any black bags. I cant think of anything less inspired than a black outfit with a black bag, but thats just my taste. Etoupe is a terrific neutral, and etain and gold are wonderful, too.

it really depends on your lifestyle, wardrobe, personal taste and a host of other things. i have always favored black bags, red or purple tone bags but lately, i have been looking at bright colors. my most recent acquisition was a rose jaipur lindy. never in a million years did i ever think that i was ever going to choose a "peach" color bag. i am even seriously considering green and blue. i still have my noir bags and find that i use them when there's rain or snow in the forecast or when i feel like using an incognito bag.

bottom line, get what you love. you'll know and feel it's the right one for you when you see it. good luck and hope you get one soon! :kiss:

You couldnt go wrong with a black B with GHW IMO.. I wanted a black GHW for my first B.. But couldnt find it even at the reselleres.. So my first B was a red (B30 rubis swift).. I have quite colorful Bs in my collection now but i still want a black with GHW..! Im drooling over a black B with GHW everytime i see one..
If the black B sings to you then you should buy it. It doesnt matter what everybody else think. What matters the most is what you feel.. :smile:

If this is the beginning of your collection and you know you will be buying others, then a black Birkin with ghw is sublime. But if this is the only one in your collection and you wear a lot of black, another color would be best imo. Blue jean is lovely but not for me. It is classic H however and if you love it, think about it. I too think red is a great option that is year round. Rouge H was my first Birkin in my very small collection and she is still perfect in my eyes for a year round bag. Good luck and have fun making this selection and trust yourself before you trust others. She is going to be on your arm, no one elses!

How many Birkins do you see yourself owning over the years? If this is just the beginning of a major collection, then go with whatever color makes your heart sing. If it's the "only", then go with whatever neutral color is best with your wardrobe. When I got my Kelly, it was in Cocoan as I'm a brown girl and it also goes well with black.

I think a Black B with GHW is an excellent choice. If this is the only B you ever own, it will be forever classic. If it the start of an H passion (which I suspect it is :biggrin:) then having this classic color will allow you to play with other colors, styles and leathers, knowing you have a go-to black B that is right for most occasions and travel.