1997- 10 years already! Who/What/Where?

In 1997 i was 17 and just started college , i passed my driving test and got my first serious BF . I then left college and worked at a bank ..... how things have changed since then .... i'm now married (not to the BF mentioned in 1997 ..... and i'm a stay at home wife and i'm expecting my first baby on boxing day this year (and if you would of asked me 10 years ago what i would be doing now i would swear blind i would still be a wild child partying etc) I only had guess handbags back in 1997 and had a very vague knowledge (what a difference 10 years makes)

In 1997 I was probably just starting school for the career I have now. God, I don't even want to think about how long that took me! It was also around the time I had my heart broken by the guy I was sooo in love with. Still never found anyone I feel quite that way about but he can kiss my ass! So I guess that time was one that started me on a journey of personal growth.

1997. I remember it like it was yesterday; the music that was popular on radio stations I was listening to...the fact that I was not yet old enough to legally drink...

This time ten years ago I was still living with my ex-fiance, although I'd broken off our engagement the previous December. I lived with him until August of 1997 (it might have been September; the exact details are sketchy).

I was still in undergraduate school, and working part time at Burger King. At that time I was a psychology major, although I would later graduate--from a different school--with a different major.

I used to shop a lot back then, but I don't remember being into handbags the way I am now. However, that was before I got into the whole digital music revolution, and back then I was still buying LOTS of CDs.

In all, I was very happy with my life back then. Little did I know how much better it would eventually get!

LOL... Great thread!!

In 1997... hmmm, that was the year that I graduated from Jr High... I had my first "serious boyfriend" that year. :rolleyes: I started tanning in 8th grade... and continued that until, well - basically last year, so I guess that means I tanned for 9 years!!

1997 was a pretty good year... I moved to a new town at the beginning of 8th grade and had met alot of new friends... some of which I still keep up with! I started really getting into dance AND ***drum roll*** it was the year I could FINALLY get contacts... LOL, so I guess it was a pretty good year...

OH!! And my cat at the time had kittens right before my 8th grade graduation... and my Dad still has that cat, and my sister kept on of the kittens!! Lots of great things came of 1997 I guess!! :smile:

Good thread!

Wow 1997 wsa a big year for me, marriage broke up then my next door neighbour, a young woman died suddenly a month later, .
SIL got breast cancer in 2001(she's ok)
Mum in hospital for almost 1 year out of those 10, I am not going to go on LOL
Many turbulent years since then.
Here's hoping the next decade will be better!
However during those 10 years I watched my kids grow into wonderful adults so not all bad :smile: & I got some real nice bags & I found TPF :smile:

Wow, looking back to 1997...I was a totally different person. This time of year in 1997, I was ending my freshman year of hs and looking forward to summer at camp in Minnesota. I didn't even like purses then! I thought it was annoying to even think of carrying them around for so long and figured I only needed my wallet! I remember I'd always make one of my friend's carry my wallet when we shopped or if I had a coat on I'd just keep it in my pocket.

A mini review of 1997-2007. I graduated high school. Lost two grandparents. Lost a pet cat. Adopted two other cats. Adopted two hamsters (both passed already). Headed to college in a city where I didn't know a soul, just knew it was far enough so that my parents could not surprise visit me! Really blossomed accademically and socially. Studied abroad twice. Met my fantastic boyfriend. Had awesome internships. Graduated in four years. Took some time off to sort through what I wanted instead of jumping into a job.

Now, today in 2007, I work in the field I had hoped to work in (through not what I would've guessed back in 1997!) Still have the great bf from college. And I feel very happy and content with my life and experiences over the past 10 years. Sometimes I say to myself, I wonder what would've happened if I had gone to the private HS my parents tried to get me to agree to... or I wonder what would've happened if I had just worked a little harder in HS and gotten into other colleges... But really, I think everything worked out for a reason and I'm very happy with how my life has changed over the past 10 years.

Another 1997 HS grad here!! i also can't believe it has been 10 years. In 1997, i graduated in June & started college in October (Art Institute of Philly) I had no clue about purses & probably would have never thought I would have so many designer purses just 10 years later. I was still living at home, no responsibilities, getting adjusted to going to school in the city......god i really miss those days!!!!

Wow! Another 1997 grad, here!

A LOT has changed since then, and i really feel that i'm a totally different person.

Let's see...

Right before graduation, i started seeing my "highschool sweetheart" and we are now married!
We started a business right out of HS and had a hard time of it. We were basically poooor and we scrounged for change to get gas, etc.

Since then, i've found out several members of my family are sick... my sister and cousin have cancer, lots of other health problems, too. :crybaby:

BUT, now we're ALL doing GREAT and i'm so happy. Our business has taken off, and i went from scrounging for change for gas to buying Hermes!

I've totally expanded my experiences, traveled, became more open minded and well rounded, and all around LEARNED so so much more than i could ever learn in HS.

I'm NOT going to my 10 year. lol

I graduated high school in '00... so my 10 year reunion is not far away, either.

10 years ago at this time, I was 15 years old and just finishing up 9th grade... nothing particularly memorable that year for me, though.

I graduated HS in 1996, so 97 was 1st year of college...with the craziness of it still being a teen:
-Got my belly button pierced
-was obsessed with manga style so died my hair pink
-wore platform shoes
-thought The Spice Girls sucked and so did the Hansons, and listened continously to No Doubt "Don't speak" bc I had my heart broken
-partied hard being silly on Aqua "Barbie Girl", got serious sickness working in bad conditions during summer..
-went to Paris for 1st time, lost my virginity...
well a busy year, but pretty messed up in my mind.

In 1997 I was a junior in high school. Oh man I knew nothing about purses. and my clothes came from those cheap stores on the avenue in like queens lol. the most expensive clothes i bought were like $60. my jeans were like $20 lol now i spend a bunch on citizens and paige. its crazy.

Hmm in 97 I was a freshman in high school. I don't think I even knew about designer handbags as my mom tried to keep me in the dark about those types of things. I think that is also the year I started obsessing about becoming a famous pop singer. Yeah, got real far with that one didn't I? :roflmfao: