1960's Coach... WOW...

My abuelita died almost 2 weeks ago and I could never go into her house without having to be sedated. Sorry about yours, hon.

See, your liking of Coach is hereditary!! Tell that to Rich next he rolls his eyes @ a new purchase!!

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. I think ours could have been sisters b/c mine was the same way, petite and such great taste in clothes and bags...what a dynamo!

That briefcase is stunning.

A grandmother and granddaughter's relationship is a true treasure; glad you have wonderful memories of her now.

Sarah, your original post made me very sad. My mother passed away almost 4 years ago. She left a will stating that my brother and I split everything, but no specifics. He is not the most mentally stable person in the world, I had to be responsible for all the details of the estate...all the bad stuff. He did nothing. He wanted her house (a beautiful 5000 square foot home that my father built) and my father's business. I decided it wasn't worth fighting with him, I just took everything else. I never dreamed that he wouldn't let me have anything out of the house, but when it was all said and done, he wouldn't give me a stick of furniture, none of her jewelery, nothing.

My twin daughter and son were the light of my mother's life. She struggled with stomach cancer for several years before she passed and they were all she was living for at the end. My daughter, now 16, asked her uncle for my mom's pink pearls, which my mom had told her would be hers. My brother said no.

A year or so passes...my mom's beautiful house is in shambles...my brother has all sorts of parties and unsavory people through the house. Broken windows, everything just a huge mess. We go for a visit and daughter asks her uncle just to look at the pearls. He DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE THEY ARE!

So, I distract him and daughter goes to look through her grandmother's drawers. Finds lots of costume jewelery and mixed in, what she thinks are the pearls. So, she pockets them. We bring them home, but I don't think it is them, plus the clasp is broken and I didn't see how it could be since it was in tact when she died. My mom loved costume jewelery, but only had a few really good pieces. Don't tell daughter...wanted her to think she had her grandmother's pearls. Anyway, I think they are fake...leave them in my daughters drawer for a year or so.

Last winter I had a chain that needed to be repaired and daughter asked me to get the clasp fixed on the "pearls". So, I take them. And guess what...I know nothing about jewelery. IT WAS HER REAL PEARLS! Daughter just wore them last Saturday to her prom.

And, my brother has never even mentioned that they were gone... He probably thinks one of his friend pocketed them or he forgot about them entirely.

Sorry so long...now back to Coach...my mom has at least 3 beautiful leather Coach bags, still in her closet. Don't think they will fit in daughter's pocket...

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I cannot imagine what a sad day it will be when I lose MINE. We have the same close relationship that you had with yours! It is amazing how loving relatives can turn around and be so selfish in times like this. Maybe in a few months your Aunt will have come back to reason and you can ask again- especially if you didn't get anything else to "remember your grandmother". Surely, your Aunt would want you to have SOMETHING?!!? Maybe right now she's still grieving and doesn't want to let go of ANYTHING from her mother.
Coach Bag: reading YOUR post makes me both very sad and very MAD at your brother!!!! My initial reaction is that, if I were you, the next time I went over to my brother's house (this is ME being YOU) I'd take my biggest bag possible and FILL IT with anything I wanted. He obviously could care less about the MEMORIES and just wants to be SELFISH. SCREW HIM! TAKE THOSE THINGS....YOUR MOM WANTED YOU TO HAVE THEM!:yes:
I'm sorry about that. It just makes my blood boil. :cursing:And, I can totally see something like that happening in MY family and that's exactly how I'd feel about it! I mean, I LOVE my bro & sis, and I am in no way vicious or malicious, but if they acted like that...my feelings would change!

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I cannot imagine what a sad day it will be when I lose MINE. We have the same close relationship that you had with yours! It is amazing how loving relatives can turn around and be so selfish in times like this. Maybe in a few months your Aunt will have come back to reason and you can ask again- especially if you didn't get anything else to "remember your grandmother". Surely, your Aunt would want you to have SOMETHING?!!? Maybe right now she's still grieving and doesn't want to let go of ANYTHING from her mother.
Coach Bag: reading YOUR post makes me both very sad and very MAD at your brother!!!! My initial reaction is that, if I were you, the next time I went over to my brother's house (this is ME being YOU) I'd take my biggest bag possible and FILL IT with anything I wanted. He obviously could care less about the MEMORIES and just wants to be SELFISH. SCREW HIM! TAKE THOSE THINGS....YOUR MOM WANTED YOU TO HAVE THEM!:yes:
I'm sorry about that. It just makes my blood boil. :cursing:And, I can totally see something like that happening in MY family and that's exactly how I'd feel about it! I mean, I LOVE my bro & sis, and I am in no way vicious or malicious, but if they acted like that...my feelings would change!

Just to add, a year or so ago my brother totaled his car...was driving one of the trucks from my dad's (now his) business...so I gave him a Range Rover. It wasn't new and wasn't in great shape, but I did pay $5000 for it. Within 6 months he totaled it driving drunk, flipped it 3 times. And, had no insurance on it...

Just to add, a year or so ago my brother totaled his car...was driving one of the trucks from my dad's (now his) business...so I gave him a Range Rover. It wasn't new and wasn't in great shape, but I did pay $5000 for it. Within 6 months he totaled it driving drunk, flipped it 3 times. And, had no insurance on it...
Girlfriend, it sounds like you are going through exactly what my parents and I went through with my sister (only she wasn't an ADULT at the time). Sounds like your brother needs a dose of some TOUGH LOVE! When my sister was having her "issues", my parents would bail her out and bail her out and BAIL HER OUT. She'd just keep falling back into the same things. I know it is extremely difficult to see your sibling/a family member struggling, but if we keep coming to their rescue, we will be doing it for the rest of our lives and they will never learn to be responsible for their own actions. It completely SUCKS and it is near impossible sometimes, but you have to stay strong and know that by not giving in and bailing them out, you are truely doing the best thing for them in the long run!!! They will curse you and 'hate you', but they really will thank you later! My sister and I have a great relationship now. It is a true miracle, but we made it through and she is a much better, much stronger person for it!
Anyway....that's my two cents - from personal experience. :smile:

Sarah, your original post made me very sad....Sorry so long...now back to Coach...my mom has at least 3 beautiful leather Coach bags, still in her closet. Don't think they will fit in daughter's pocket...

It's a shame that so many families experience this same situation. I wish I could send you both a "Can of Act Right" to spray on each one of them! What I love about both stories is that neither of you allow this to change the person you are. It sounds like you both have the personalities of you loving grandmothers. All grandmothers are God sent :heart: thanks for sharing.

Maybe your brothers heart will soften and he will give her those handbags.

Wow, what a classy lady she was!! And seems like her legacy is coming along with you! Do that girl...cherish her memory and keep being such a fine, decent lady. That is her gift for you, no bag could replace that!!

OMG, after reading both your posts.... :heart::heart::heart: I thought my situation sucked! Wow. Sending all kinds of crazy love through the computer! I'd end up doing something I regretted if my brother did all that (probably why I have no siblings)....

i'da put that bag in my shirt, and foliced out. anyone questions the bulge, i say "i'm pregnant by the Coach"... not a technical lie... and they can stand there and ponder if you did or didn't have relations with someone who coaches little league and you can run off with vintage love.