Home & Garden 15 minutes a day to declutter club

Joining! I want to move so bad, but what's the hold up??? Clutter! I've lived in my house 40 years, and I'm 56! Which means I bought my parents home, had two kids in it and everybody has come and gone leaving me with whatever bits they didn't want to bring but didn't want to get rid of! So not fair. In the past two years things have just gotten out of control, despite the fact that I have a cleaning woman come I every other week. I've had her for a long time too. She use to be a great declutterer but now she just cleans around things! I can't even enjoy my beautiful things! My goal is to get my house ready for for the market!!! So I start today!!!

PS what do you do with hardcover books? Right now they're clutter but in our new home, depending on size, I might want pretty bookcases filled with books. Or maybe they're just clutter. Thoughts? I've read them all and have a kindle now. Might read or loan/give rest to others to read. Keep or get rid of? And if get rid of , where??

PS what do you do with hardcover books? Right now they're clutter but in our new home, depending on size, I might want pretty bookcases filled with books. Or maybe they're just clutter. Thoughts? I've read them all and have a kindle now. Might read or loan/give rest to others to read. Keep or get rid of? And if get rid of , where??

I think, if they are clutter now, years passing will not change this.
Buy the books you want, when & if needed. With a kindle, this takes a click of buttons, without any dusting/shelves necessary.

I sell read/ignored books to used book merchants/stores. If not frequently rereading or using as reference material, it's gone.
Another option is donation to charities or schools.
Some people use hardcover books to make art projects, as lamps or wall shelves. Even using pages as wallpaper.
But, I cannot bring myself to destroy books this way--so recycle them whole, for others to enjoy.

Hope this helps.

I am in :smile: i have 4 months to declutter, clean and pack into suitcases my home of 5 - 2 adults and 3 little dds and move to thailand from australia! Can take 40kg each checkin and 7kg boarding. I will be sending my post my 3 typewriters but putting my lv bag collection in my handheld. Excited as i moved in 2006 like this but that was pre dds.

Keep the pretty books. Donate the not-so-pretty ones and the ones you are not attached to. I think I donated books to a library if they were still relevant. Otherwise I guess you could recycle them.

Keep the pretty books. Donate the not-so-pretty ones and the ones you are not attached to. I think I donated books to a library if they were still relevant. Otherwise I guess you could recycle them.

I think, if they are clutter now, years passing will not change this.

Buy the books you want, when & if needed. With a kindle, this takes a click of buttons, without any dusting/shelves necessary.

I sell read/ignored books to used book merchants/stores. If not frequently rereading or using as reference material, it's gone.

Another option is donation to charities or schools.

Some people use hardcover books to make art projects, as lamps or wall shelves. Even using pages as wallpaper.

But, I cannot bring myself to destroy books this way--so recycle them whole, for others to enjoy.

Hope this helps.

Well I used my 15 min to pack up and clean out a small book case in my room. Those are good ideas for the books. Most of them are very current or classic best sellers, well Oprahish best sellers, so,I would love to find a resale shop but with the current online climate in which we live I don't know if that will be possible so maybe my local library for the ones I really don't want. Very time limited today so hoping to put the handbags I want displayed and easy to get to in bookcase making more room in my closet. I hope to finish cleaning closet by midweek. That would be done sooner but this weekend is lost due to long standing plans. Thanks for the ideas.

I always keep the classics and donate the rest. I will also donate classics I didn't like. :P I buy my books used so I don't really hem and haw about getting rid of books anyway.

Have you all discovered the flipfold? It looks like a similar folding style but without the last 2 folds. I got mine at the container store. It's the small one and I think it folds everything into a 9x12" rectangle, which fits perfectly into my cabinets. It is so FAST. And a little fun. The only drawback is the surface is a little rough so I have to be careful with anything that snags easily. It's great for cotton knit tees and towels, sweats, anything but fragile silks and knits.

I've heard and seen great videos on it...but I feel like it would add to clutter instead of helping. I am one that gets sucked into gadgets and end up using a ton and then not at all.... Same with shoe racks! I keep buying all different kinds to help, the real help would just be to get rid of shoes, lol. I love container store too but hurts de cluttering more than help. Anyone else feel same way? I feel great when I leave with all these bins and then feel lousy once I fill them up!

Doing closet today! Hope to work much longer than 15 min. My bookcase/purse project has highly motivated me to declutter all my things to make them easier to get to and wear. This time of year I always shop too much cuz I can't remember what I have from last year. Hoping to get in front of that this year!

I just moved from a large apartment to a one bedroom small apartment. I threw out a LOT of stuff, but I still have 3 moving boxes and an entire closet I need to sort out. Today I unpacked a box and threw out some old unused clothes.

I just moved from a large apartment to a one bedroom small apartment. I threw out a LOT of stuff, but I still have 3 moving boxes and an entire closet I need to sort out. Today I unpacked a box and threw out some old unused clothes.

If they are still in good condition please consider donating clothing instead of throwing out if you have places near you that accept donations 😉.