15-25 miles per week but barely any results???

1. Last summer, I did 20-25 miles per week on the elliptical trainer. I gave up all drinks except green tea and water, and my daily caloric intake was 2000 calories per week. Guess how much I lost that summer? 3 lbs in 2 mos. Is it because I'm too skinny to lose a lot of weight? No. I'm actually 20 lbs over the weight I should be for my height. Is it due to the metabolism I have because of my age? Well, I'm only 25. Is it because I have hypothyroidism? Went to the doctor. EVERYTHING was normal. People tell me there has to be other factors to my problem. I try and I try to figure out what "other" factors theyre talking about, but in most cases I dont agree with them. I once read about a lady that decided to get liposuction because even though she's done 3 triathlons, she still didnt "look" like she was that fit. Could I be one of them??? Is anyone else working hard but barely losing any weight?? I'm really trying to lose weight this summer but last summer was a bad experience for me and not really a motivation for me at all. :hysteric:
  2. Did you you take in 2000 calories per day? Maybe it need to be about 1,600 calories per day.

Did you also measure yourself? You may have gained muscle so that would account for the low weight lost. When I find that I haven't lost much weight, I take measurements. I found out that I've lost 0.5 inch in my waist & hip!

Hope you find some explaination.
  3. 15-15 miles for week could also be overtraining for your body. If your body feels that you are overtraining it then you are not going to see any results because it will try to hang onto what ever it can to survive. What is your BMR? You should aim to eat at least 500 over that to prevent your body from going in starvation mode. With me I was doing a regular 1400-1500 caloric intake I wasn't getting any results but now that I'm doing the weight watchers and working out I'm losing at least 2-4 pounds a week, which I realize might mean that I am also losing the muscle that I was trying to maintain. IMO weight watchers is similar to a low calorie diet because when I inputted all of my information into www.fitday.com, some days I was coming up with about 1100-1200 calories even when my points were maxed from eating some "healthy" foods. You just have to try to do different things to see what works for you. I also like to cruise www.bodybuilding.com to get some tips on what to do to lose weight. Hang in there and everything should be fine.:yes:

P.S. My training plan currently looks like this since I'm trying to lose about 16 lbs in two months

Day 1: 20 HITT, chest/bi/abs
    Day 2: 30-45 min cardio session (15 min stairmaster, 15 min elliptical, 15 min treadmill)
    Day 3: 20 HITT, shoulder/tri/abs
    Day 4: same as day 2
    Day 5: 20 HITT, back/legs/abs
    Day 6 & 7:off
  4. I too hope you meant 2000 calories a day!
    If you are doing that amount on the elliptical, that's about 45 minutes each time, right? So about 400 calories give or take 50 depending on the setting. For weight maintenance when you are active, it's recommended to eat 2000 calories per day for an average woman. So you wouldn't be losing any weight at this rate. Try eating 1500 calories per day and continue your workout.
    Also- your body adjusts very quickly to your activity level. I run 15+ miles per week and couldn't lose weight if I wanted to, unless I ate a super-low calorie diet, since my body is used to the daily burn of about 500 calories. So make sure to mix up your cardio also as your body also gets used to a certain workout and it stops being as effective. hope this helps- good luck and remember, don't go below 1400 calories per day!
  5. I also think you are taking in too many calories. It should be under 1500. For me it is 1200-1500 so you get the idea. 1200 being "extreme" Also there is a very good chance you are overtraining, you make all of your 'gains' during rest. Are you lifting weights? because gaining muscle will help to burn cals at rest as well.
  6. If you're just doing cardio on the elliptical, it sounds like you need to change it up. Your body is smart. It adjusts quite easily. The goal should be to challenge your body and keep it guessing. Try incorporating running, walking at an incline, cycling, Spinning, high intensity interval training (HIIT, do a Google search) and mix it up.

Are you doing any weight training? I sound like a broken record, but when I was losing weight, I saw the most changes in my body when I started lifting - and not just the five or ten lb. pink dumbbells.

I would also cut back to maybe about 1700-1800 calories per day and see what happens. I wouldn't go as low as 1200. If you severely restrict calories, you run the risk of doing long term damage to your metabolism and putting your body in starvation mode.

Good luck!
  7. I was jogging 6 miles a day,6 days a week and eating 1500 calories a day. I gained instead of lost, my body responded as if I was starving. When I stopped exercising quite as much and joined Weight Watchers online, I finally lost the weight I wanted to. Some bodies need to have balance, and mine was one of them. I find I just cannot overdo the exercise or I gain.
  8. Do you weight train? Your body can get used to doing the same thing all the time. I would try switching it up and add weights and reduce your calories a bit and I think you will see a change. Weight training is excellent for sculpting the body.

I run 10-12 miles a day and sometimes I feel I am not doing anything and then all of a sudden I feel it. What is your workout like and the frequency and maybe I can help you change things up a bit.

9. This is great advice, right down to the reasonable calorie count. Also remember, REST is part of your training. You need to give your body time to catch up. Take one or two days a week off in between workout days.
  10. great advice. I was doing 1 hour on the elliptical and was wondering why I wasn't seeing any results. I guess my body got used to it. So I'm starting to switch it up - going between the treadmill, bike, rowing, and other machines.
  11. This happened to me when I had a trainer. I'd workout with the trainer 3 (sometimes more) times a week. She was having me eat all this protien and no or very little carbs. I gained weight, and not just muscle either. All my clothing was tighter. So after I moved I don't have a trainer and I try to follow my Weight Watchers again. My clothing fits again. I might try another trainer maybe once a week but right now all I do is walk occasionally and do pilates but I've gotten pretty lazy about it.
  12. I've had similar problems- only I run- last summer I was running about 25-35 mi a week and ended up gaining (granted only a pound or two) I really think that when I work out really hard I unconciously eat a bit more just because I am so much hungrier from the running.

what works for me (now I just need to stick with it long enough to see long term results, I've been yo-yoing the same 10 lbs for the past 3 months!) is around 1400-1600 calories a day with about 40 min of med. intensity cardio 3-4 days a week and two strength sessions a week (lifting heavy!) I lose about 1.5 lbs a week doing this.

I also give myself one really bad cheat meal a week and one meal where I have to eat healthy but can induldge in a drink or two- though I stick to wine as mixed drinks always make me gain. I think this helps keep my metabolism guessing a bit so it does get too used to the 1400-1600 range- as when I have actually added up those days the total for the cheat day runs at around 2400-2600 and the day that allows for alcohol runs around 2100.

13. It's not unconsiously eating more. When you work out harder (your heartrate is at your anerobic threshold) you burn sugar and carbs which makes your body MORE hungry. When you are in fat burning mode you don't burn off the sugar your body needs and don't feel hungry more often. If you build up your fat burning heart rate but getting into your anerobic threshold a bit you can run and still burn fat and not sugar but you have to build that.
  14. That is exactly what is happening to me. I would get so hungry after doing 5 miles on the elliptical. It even got to the point where I had to eat a good meal and then hit the gym 30 min later just so I dont get hungry immediately after the gym, but that didnt work either. I was just as hungry as if I waited longer to go to the gym after eating. I'm just gonna have to see what works for me now. I probably wont need to do an hr on the elliptical anymore, but I definitely need to do some strength training because that is what will make the most difference in my shape. Now all I need to do is find an effective way to calorie count. Thanks for the advice ladies.
  15. I'm glad you figured out why it wasn't working for you. I don't calorie count per se, but I think hard about which foods I can and can't live without. For instance, I save calories because I don't eat red meat, I hate fast food (except pizza, which is generally veggie for me), I avoid deep-fried foods except on special occasions and I don't drink pop. My main weakness is carbs like pasta. If I eat pasta, I try to limit the portion by eating only half and saving the rest for lunch the next day. I also run and weight-train in combination.