14 children died in cars this summer

It was a June afternoon. I went to the movie theatre to pick up tickets for a night showing of The Stepford Wives. As I was walking into the theatre, I passed a dog in someone's car in the parking lot. The window was open about a hand width. I cooed "Hi, puppy!" and walked inside. Driving home I'm thinking about it going, "There's a dog . . . in the car!" It wasn't a boiling day, it was pretty warm, but I got worried. When I got home I called the Burlington police department and reached their front desk. I explained the situation and asked them to send an officer to check the dog at some point.

My neighbor told me the other day that she also caught someone leaving their dog in the car. It was over the weekend when we had 100+ degree weather. My neighbor waited for the person to come out and when she did she received the biggest lecture. :rant: The woman had the same lame a:censor: excuse as everyone else. "I was only going to be 5 mins". Really the only way for them to learn is to be placed in the vehicle themselves.

At my previous job there was a gentleman who would leave his dog in his car while he worked. It was a German Shepard and the car was a station wagon. The guy would go out to the parking lot on his breaks and lunches to walk the dog and check on it. This was in the fall/winter where temperatures bordered on 50 degrees. I called animal control and they acted like they didnt care. They said that they were aware of the situtation (as I wasnt the only one who contacted them) and that since the animal had food and water there was nothing they were going to do about it. :wtf: I was amazed that no one seemed to care about it. I guess because the weather wasnt at life threatening temperatures. :shrugs:

I am tired of them not getting a stern punishment, like hard time. How on earth do you forget your kid in acar? Anyone that has kids can agree with me here. You know how hard it is to get them buckled into those seats? And they never keep quiet, unless they are sleeping (which is rare for my kids in a car, they want to take it all in.) It takes me about 10 minutes to get mine into the car and buckled safely. So it would be hard for me to forget they are there!

I cannot even imagine the pain these children go through in their last minutes of life. It makes me cry just to think about it. And its even worse that the negligence is so overlooked.

Yes, some may argue that the pain of losing the child is enough punishment. But please, some of these idiots are doing it on purpose because they know they can use that excuse!

chicky said:
Oh, so sad, so tragic.
And so needless!!!:rant: How can you 'forget' to take your child with you...??? Popping in to pay for petrol, now that's different, but anything else...well, i just don't get it!

In the UK we have a slogan - 'Dogs die in hot cars' Maybe it's about time we extended that to children ......:crybaby: :sad:

Oh no, girl, after some idiot actually stole a car from a gas station with 2 children in it and sped off going 90 miles an hour in the city, I thought twice abut leaving my kids in the car. The guy found out that the kids were in the car 15 minutes later, jumped out, and they did not find the car in time to save the kids (of course this was in the summer.) Not only that, someone could snatch them out of the car, anoter car could hit your car while you are in there paying for gas. It was just on the news the other day. A guy had just hopped back into his car after pumping gas, and another car sped in, hit his car, andhis car exploded.

I spent 18 months of my life pregnant, and just like they were attached to me then, they stay attached to me even when I will "only be a second" to go pay for gas.

This is obviously, terribly tragic.

However, I think we need to remember that some people are very scatty by nature and/or are ignorant of the dangers and/or are of low IQ.

Unfortunately, I find it quite easy to believe that some of these people are more than capable of genuinely forgetting their kids; especially if they are overworked, sleep deprived (perhaps due to a young family) and frazzled in the heat and if their child, or baby, is asleep (and so, silent), as well.

I think a massive public information campaign, mounted in the Spring and Summer would, hopefully, help avoid some of the deaths.

highendfashion4me said:
And they never keep quiet, unless they are sleeping (which is rare for my kids in a car, they want to take it all in.)

I always used to fall asleep in the car, as a child; in fact, when I was a baby and wouldn't sleep at night, my Mum used to take me for a drive!

Actually, I still fall asleep when I'm a passenger in a car!!! :shame:

http://www.kidsincars.org/

Anyone who is interested in taking a stand against stuff like this should visit the Kids in Cars website. A good friend of mine is the president of the Nebraska chapter of Kids in Cars and I have done some volunteer work for her. This a non-profit, volunteer run organization and they are always looking for more support. The story of the founder is absolutely heartbreaking.

The sad thing is that while people will react to tragedy, it can be difficult to incite action before it occurs. For example, my friend and I were canvassing businesses, distributing educational materials. We were not soliciting, only dropping off posters, flyers, and window clings. We were treated rudely by the majority of the businesses. Plus, there were some businesses who agreed to hang the very simple window cling and after doing a brief follow-up call, they had either taken them down or never even put them up. I can understand that some businesses have regulations about what can or cannot be placed in their windows; however, it is very sad when someone who is able to display something as simple as a window cling and agrees to hang it, will just not do it.

In Nebraska, it is against the law to leave a child unattended in a car for any amount of time. It is just devastating to see how something that is completely preventable still occurs.

chloehandbags said:
I always used to fall asleep in the car, as a child; in fact, when I was a baby and wouldn't sleep at night, my Mum used to take me for a drive!

Actually, I still fall asleep when I'm a passenger in a car!!! :shame:

Me too! :yes:

Bloody hell. Imagine mum/dad leaving you in a car.

You get hot and think they'll be back soon. You start to feel ill and cry, but - no, I can't go on, I normally feel empathy and stuff but this is too much.

Make it a crime and see if the numbers drop before we decide if "your own deed is punishment enough."

Same with dogs for that matter, imagine being a dumb animal left to pine and suffer and die like that - some people are scumbags IMO.

Cx

uhh..."dumb animal" ?????:wtf:

Most animals are pretty intelligent IMHO...you never hear of animals doing messed up things like leave their offspring KNOWINGLY in a hot car to die....

It's not just about the hot weather, and leaving your kids, or animals in the car;

BBC News | ENGLAND | Mother's anguish over fatal car fire

The mother of two young children who died in a burning car in Berkshire has spoken about her grief.

Shannon, aged three, and her 14-month-old brother Ciaran, died when the Vauxhall Cavalier burst into flames on a housing estate in Reading.
The children's parents, 20-year-olds Sulie Averiss and Damien Moore, had parked the car at a house in Colmworth Close shortly after 1800 GMT on Thursday.

When the car caught fire they rushed out and pulled the children from the flames but their attempts to resuscitate them failed

Miss Averiss said: "I said to my kids I would be two minutes. "I put the seatbelts on and locked the door.

"They waved at me. I went to the toilet. I came down and the car was full of smoke. "

Horrific.

kat0730 said:
It breaks my heart to hear. . . My biggest fear is forgetting my keys in the car and being locked out while my son is still in the back. I had left my keys in the ignition once and locked myself out of the car while I was in a rush, before I had my son. Now, I practice patience...no more rushing...and no more locking the car from the inside before I get out. I always lock the car with the alarm remote. Thank god for alarm remotes!

As long as you are aware of the situation, you can always grab a rock, or some other heavy object and smash your front side window. :idea: