11 year old is a mother-to-be!

sweetlove said:
This is so sad, but I keep thinking of Vicki Pollard (for those of you familiar with Little Britain) when I read this. I don't know why. Oh well, the damage has already been done, so they should try to do the best with the situation, but the mothers right to be a parent/guardian for the 11-year old should be seriously reconsidered, I don't think a person is fit for parenthood if they let their 11-year old smoke, drink and get pregnad (okay, you can't keep an eye on your child all the time, but at least preach safe sex!), so I think this 11-year old would have been better off in a foster home with the baby and *responsible* adults to help her along.

The baby of the 11 year old should be put in foster care... Neither the mother or the 11 yo deserve a child.

IntlSet said:
Yeah, no kidding. The new grandmother of this unborn baby should be LOCKED AWAY and should have had her children taken from her long ago so they wouldn't end up preggers at 11!!!
what's scary is that she keeps pro-creating. and where's the dad in all of this mess? is she taking a cue from her mum who obviously likes getting knocked up?

i blame her mom ...... what kind of a mother is she to have a child that disturned? .. that sure tells alot abou her!! ... poor girl! we become mothers at a good enough age and we STILL feel we are helpless sometimes ... i feel bad for the baby too .... what kind of a life will it have now :sad:

wow... just absolutely WOW. i can't figure out who disturbs me more, the mother or the child. I just want to bonk both of them on the head, ridiculous.

the poor unborn child....

Horrifying and upsetting as the whole situation undoubtedly is; the passages that disturb me most, are these (as I feel they demonstrate an almost criminal lack of sex/health education and proper care from the medical profession):

Concerned she might be pregnant, the girl visited a GP three times but tests proved negative. She learned the truth after buying a home-testing kit from a supermarket.

How could a pregnancy test possibly prove negative three times, if it was actually submitted three times, if the girl then 'learned the truth' from one home-testing kit?

I can think of no logical explanation, other than that the GP was not taking her seriously and told the girl that he/she had sent off her urine sample, when he/she hadn't! :shocked:

She claimed her cigarette habit was not harming the health of her unborn child.
She said: "I can give up smoking at any time, but I don't find it affects my pregnancy."

Why on earth hasn't a doctor explained to this child, or her mother, that you cannot tell whether smoking has affected your pregnancy until after the child is born?

I wouldn't necessarily expect a, presumably, poor child from a poor neighbourhood (or her mother), to know too much about the dangers of smoking and drinking during pregnancy. But the fact that she has not been properly informed by the medical profession, is negligence, almost to the point of criminality, IMO! :mad:

Lucie_lou said:
Education is the key, since teenagers are not just going to stop having sex! The power of education has been illustrated by Sweden which overhauled it's sex education policies. Recommendations of abstinence and sex within marriage were dropped, contraceptive education was made explicit and a nationwide network of youth clinics were established to provide contraceptive advice. Abortion laws were also reformed. Over the next two decades Sweden saw it's teenage birth rate drop 80%.

Teenage sexual activity is inevitable, but with education and factual information on contraception, teenage child bearing and abortion can be prevented.

Couldn't agree more, Lucie_lou.

Education has proven to be key to lowering teenage birth rates, over and over again. It is imperative, both before and if the worst does come to the worst, during and after pregnancy. :yes:

ilzabet said:
smoking while pregnant -- yikes! but i think in europe they're more lax about that kind of thing.

Very few people in the UK are 'more lax' about smoking, especially during pregnancy, than people in the US.

I believe that you also have certain socio-economic groups in the US, some of the members of which, might not care much, either.

This girl is evidently from the equivalent of that sort of group, if you KWIM.

personally i think the girl's mom took the proper attitude about it. in my experience as a teen pregnancy educator, the "what done is done, now how will we provide for this baby" tact makes for healthier babies and moms. i hope it works out ok for everyone involved....but if all this stuff started hitting the fan with this poor girl was NINE i just don't have high hopes. *sigh* :\

I agree; you can't shut the stable door after the horse has bolted! :biggrin:

That is the most disturbing, twisted story I have ever heard. For that girl to think she is ready to have a baby at 11 years old is just plain stupid, and even worse - her mother is "proud"!!! What is the world coming to??