1 carat Heart Shape diamond - Good buy or Good bye?

maguses

Jan 6, 2006
I have been shopping around for a Christmas present so its either going to be a diamond or the Cartier Love bracelet or a Rolex Datejust.

I saw a one carat diamond yesterday, heart shape, H color, VS2, v good symmetry and v good cut. No fluorescence or scintillation. Thick girdle and pointed culet.

Do u think it is a good buy at 4.8K? Or should I look elsewhere? The SA will only reserve it for me for one day more. So please give me some advice! Thanks

I have the cartier Love bracelet and rolex and I am a total diamond girl but to pick which one I, here are some questions:
is this a gift for yoursef?, if so pick the rolex,
is the a gift from SO or DH? then go with the love bracelet

I think a heart shape diamond would be something that you could get tired of where as the other 2 options will be classics forever

I'm going to go with Fleur de Lis on this one,the other two are absolute classics.A heart shaped diamond,well, they do have a very limited audience in comparison to the other shapes,fine if you love it and want to keep it,but if you get sick of it its will be a very difficult shape to offload.

The other thing that bothers me a little is that its a one carat stone with a thick girdle,so its been cut to maintain weight.Thats no bad thing in a round stone,but anything with a point such as a heart,marquise or pear really do benefit from a finer girdle,especially when it comes to the point or points(ends) they can look a little ungainly with a thick girdle.

The cutter has probably forgone that to get it up to the 'magical 1 carat' weight where premium pricing really kicks in. It probaly would have lost a couple of points in weight to refine the girdle,but in doing so would have dropped below 1 carat and the optimum price range. Does this help you at all??xxxxxxxxxx

Sounds like a good price to me but I think the heart shape won't be as appealing to you as you mature. It's a feminine, youthful shape tho but the classic shape like round brilliant would be better.

H is still "white" but the clarity might be noticeable if you compare it to a higher clarity diamond. I've got a G/VS2 and it looks noticeably yellow when next to my sis' E/VVS1 (or was it IF??). How does it look under natural lighting, not the store lighting.

Between Rolex or Cartier, I'd pick Cartier's bracelet.

I would probably go for the Cartier Love Bracelet. It is a timeless classic. Also, the heart shaped diamond is a color H which may not exactly be a great color... but whatever you choose, just make sure that you are happy with the purchase!

I'd say pass on the heart shaped stone. When I was younger, I loved it too. Now that I'm older, I don't like that shape in a diamond at all. If you're going to spend so much on a piece, you want to be able to enjoy and appreciate it forever. This is just my humble opinion.

I have the cartier Love bracelet and rolex and I am a total diamond girl but to pick which one I, here are some questions:
is this a gift for yoursef?, if so pick the rolex,
is the a gift from SO or DH? then go with the love bracelet

I think a heart shape diamond would be something that you could get tired of where as the other 2 options will be classics forever

I agree completely, a Rolex Datejust and Cartier love bracelet are both classics, they are timeless and will be forever in style. I LOVE diamonds as well but I think that a heart shape diamond is more trandy and you might get tired of it after a while...My first choice would be a Rolex!

I have a 2 carat heart shaped diamond. It's gorgeous! Took me a long time to find the perfect one. I get compliments everyday. I have a Rolex as well, so I don't know which I'd pick. LOL I love hearts and always will. I will never tire of them. It's up to you....I think if you love hearts, then go for it. I buy hearts in a lot of items.....they're just my personality.

Make sure the diamond doesnt look small for its weight....and that it sparkles. Personally, my experience is that there are always diamonds around at that size and price, so no need to rush. I would be more into a rhr rather than a 1 carat diamond.