Home > >

What to wear to a ball...

POST A REPLY

Nov 9, 2008, 6:42am   #1
Amberini
Amber Jessica
I don't think I've been to a ball before.

I know this one's going to be a less-formal one (if there is such a thing), so I think it will be ok to have a short dress.

I've been looking at BCBG as I am such a fan!

Just wondered if you had to been to any balls, what you wore (pics would be great!) and if you had any suggestions as to what I could wear.

With the dollar growing against the pound, I am sad to say, that my max spend will be about $300, unless I can wear it again!!
Nov 9, 2008, 7:18am   #2
latigresse
Hi,

I've been to a few balls (sorry, I don't have pictures) and I've always worn gowns/long dresses, as did all the other women I saw at these affairs. Shorter, cocktail dresses are okay for cocktail parties, but not for balls.

Do you have any designer consignment/resale shops near you? I got a couple of my gowns in such places and I didn't break the bank.

I would also stick with something in black. You can never go wrong with it. It's basic/classic, it can look *expensive* without costing a fortune and you can keep your accessories simple and classic.

Even Coco Chanel once said "Put women in black or white at a ball and one sees nothing but them."
Last edited Nov 9, 2008 at 7:24am.
Nov 9, 2008, 8:42am   #3
Amberini
Amber Jessica
I love the Coco Chanel quote! It just sounds so beautiful.

In the UK, I think the closest thing we have is a designer discount store - TK Maxx. I really, really hate rummaging though.

I think black or white sounds like a great idea, because like you said, not only does it look expensive, but it's timeless, and I can look back in many years and not regret having made a huge fashion faux pas in bright orange.

BCBG has some lovely formal dresses:

I always struggle to find pretty black/white dresses though, I love Marchesa dresses but obviously, they're a little out of my price range atm!

I am going to NY in December so hopefully there will be things in the Christmas sales!
Nov 9, 2008, 9:12am   #4
latigresse
Originally Posted by Amberini
I am going to NY in December so hopefully there will be things in the Christmas sales!
Ah! Fantastic. In that case, I'd highly recommend going to Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdale's and Saks, since they'll definitely be having sales then and they usually have pretty good choices. There are also some great consignment/designer resale shops in NYC such as Michael's, Encore (one of my gowns came from Encore, actually, and another was from Michael's) and LaBoutique and Bis (all on upper Madison Avenue - 79th Street and up) where the elegant ladies of the Upper East Side take their castoffs to be sold for a fraction of the original retail price. Also, be sure to hit Century 21 downtown, which is famous for discounted designer clothing.

Check out ebay, too. You never know what might turn up there
Nov 9, 2008, 9:27am   #5
grayxie
NOMtacular!
If you wore a cocktail dress, I'm afraid you would be under dressed. There is tons of shopping in NYC, so I'm sure you will find a dress that will fit your price range and that is still fabulous.
Nov 9, 2008, 1:26pm   #6
shoulderache
Try Vera Wang lavender label--super cute, chic dresses and more in your price range! And, because net-a-porter.com is in the UK, you can probably have it sent super quick and not have to worry about the exchange rate. :)
Nov 9, 2008, 1:28pm   #7
Amberini
Amber Jessica
Such brilliant ideas

I'm going to have a look on Net-a-Porter, it's usually the first place I look, but as my budget will not stretch far, I have delayed and delayed to visit.

Also, what shoes would you wear, I'm not usually a fan of the maxi so what sort of heels??
Nov 9, 2008, 10:35pm   #8
ricera
Even though I'm american, I spent part of uni at St. Andrews. I remember my first ball, and being so scared about what to wear. Ultimately though, any nice dress will do. With a maxi, I like to wear a strappy low heeled sandal, or a higher, more substantial heel. (By the way, to Americans, the word "ball" has the connotation of something much, much fancier. It implies almost white-tie for us. I think a cocktail dress would be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to go long. I, and all of the other girls, always wore cocktail dresses, except to the more important balls- then it was long.) Have a great time!
Nov 10, 2008, 4:12pm   #9
shoulderache
I didn't realize that there was a difference between American "Ball" and UK "Ball"! To Americans, "ball" means a super-fancy affair where men wear tuxedos and women wear full-length dresses.
Nov 11, 2008, 12:48am   #10
ricera
I know... it was a surprise to me too! When I first heard ball I thought of Cinderella. Some were fancier than others, but nothing like the fairy tale in mind! Let us know how it goes Amberini! I'm excited for you.
Nov 11, 2008, 8:45am   #11
lily25
UNMUTUAL
I'd love a long dress, with a pashmina, and not necessarily high heels. mid high or flats would be awesome too.
I really like this dress from Shu Moriyama (224 euros)

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/SHU+MO...lothingwomen80

For something classic I like this Galliano
http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?tskay=3...men&srnavpag=1

224 euro too.
Nov 12, 2008, 4:51am   #12
Amberini
Amber Jessica
ricera, I kind of got the impression that I was thinking way too little of this ball, but clearly you see the difference between an "American Ball" and "English ball"!

I was thinking BCBG but then of course, some of the other ladies said that I'd need something more elegant and I was super confused!!

lily25, I love the first dress!
Nov 12, 2008, 5:14am   #13
thoang0705
Louboutin.It's Love.
I love the first dress!
Nov 12, 2008, 10:06am   #14
HermesNewbie
Shopping Enthusiast
Try Nordstrom Rack; I bought my last ball gown there for $150 marked down from over $600.

Good luck and have fun!
Nov 13, 2008, 7:51am   #15
Amberini
Amber Jessica
Woah!
That's a cheap dress!
Where is Nordstrom in NY??
I didn't go, I found Barneys, Bloomingdales, Saks and Macy's, but not Nordstrom and I keep hearing such wonderful things about it!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >