Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

What should I wear to the race track(for horses)

POST A REPLY

Jun 22, 2008, 5:19am   #1
S
Sophisticated1
I have an event to go to and I have no idea of what to wear.
Any ideas?
Jun 22, 2008, 8:39am   #2
Deelove82
Whenever I go I wear a nice dress and flat sandals or ballerinas (heels aren't too practical when walking on grass). A hat.
Jun 22, 2008, 8:46am   #3
cakegirl
The track really varies-there are tons of people in shorts and tshirts and fewer dressed up. In my experience you dont see the dressed up with a big hat Kentucky Derby look on a regular day of racing. I would dress for the event itself (work party? social? time of day?) and wear something that will be comfortable indoors and out.
Jun 22, 2008, 8:52am   #4
JCinwrppingppr
the last time i went i wore a nice pair denim trousers and a nice blouse with gold sandals. I felt fine in them...I would go middle of the road because like cakegirl said, some people get dressed up and some people don't.
Jun 22, 2008, 4:55pm   #5
S
Sophisticated1
Originally Posted by cakegirl
The track really varies-there are tons of people in shorts and tshirts and fewer dressed up. In my experience you dont see the dressed up with a big hat Kentucky Derby look on a regular day of racing. I would dress for the event itself (work party? social? time of day?) and wear something that will be comfortable indoors and out.

It is in the early afternoon.
I am going with potential business partners.
Jun 22, 2008, 8:26pm   #6
socalgem
Fabulous
I wouldn't go Kentucky Derby dressed up, but I wouldn't go in shorts either. A nice dress or trousers would be great.
Jun 22, 2008, 8:33pm   #7
BagLuver
It depends on what track you are going to, and what section you are sitting in. People get much more dressed up at Churchill Downs than any other track I've ever been to (which I think is a good thing). People in the boxes will be much more dressed up than those in the grandstands. I would wear a nice sundress.
Jun 22, 2008, 9:11pm   #8
lesparkley
fight on, trojans!
wide-brimmed hat and a shift dress. can't go wrong there! =]
Jun 22, 2008, 11:17pm   #9
S
Sophisticated1
I think I will go with a shirt dress and some sandals.
I am going to Santa Anita race track.
Jun 22, 2008, 11:34pm   #10
mel_mel1004
feeling content :)
you should definitely have a hairpiece, hat or fascinator - the hat will keep you cool, and why not get dressed up at the opportunity.
Jun 22, 2008, 11:39pm   #11
socalgem
Fabulous
That is a tradition for that track. My DH is from there and we try to go to the Derby every year or every other year.

Originally Posted by BagLuver
It depends on what track you are going to, and what section you are sitting in. People get much more dressed up at Churchill Downs than any other track I've ever been to (which I think is a good thing). People in the boxes will be much more dressed up than those in the grandstands. I would wear a nice sundress.
Jun 22, 2008, 11:43pm   #12
sailornep5
Yeah, I've been to the tracks in CA and you'll probably stand out a bit if you get dressed up, even in the boxes. Most people I see are very casual (jeans and tees) although a few wear business casual. I think a shirtdress and sandals will be just fine.
Jun 23, 2008, 1:31pm   #13
BagLuver
Originally Posted by socalgem
That is a tradition for that track. My DH is from there and we try to go to the Derby every year or every other year.
Oh, I know! And I love it! I wish people would dress like that at all tracks. DH and I go to the Derby often, so that is what I'm used to. I was amazed by how "dressed down" people are at other tracks. In fact, when we walked into Saratoga dressed up (me in nice sundress, DH in seersucker suit), the ushers actually thanked us for dressing up!
Jun 23, 2008, 8:15pm   #14
h
herstaticcity
Depends on what area you are going to but I'd definitely go with a preppy dress. Ralph lauren or jcrew sundresses work nicely. I used to live in Virginia last year and when we went we tried to out prep each other haha. The boys always wore light yellow or pink pants.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >