Home Accessorize Yourself The Wardrobe

What do you think of unlined trench coats?

POST A REPLY

Nov 27, 2008, 7:08pm   #1
m
I want to get a Burberry trench in the sales, but the one I have my eye on isn't lined (just the shoulders). Would this look strange, or sit in an odd way because it doesn't have a lining? Does anyone have an unlined coat - do they drape over you clothes or "catch" on them?
Nov 27, 2008, 9:07pm   #2
I don't like unlined coats because I find them to be uncomfortable. A lining is very important for me. I don't like how it feels against my skin if I have on short or three quarter sleeves.
Nov 27, 2008, 10:05pm   #3
I am a fan of lining. But I guess it also depends on the warmth factor you need. Where I live right now it isn't too important even though I do get cold at not "cold" temps.
Nov 28, 2008, 11:17am   #4
P
I prefer lined too
Nov 28, 2008, 12:57pm   #5
Lining is a MUST--it makes the jacket much, much warmer. Unless you will be wearing the coat just for fashion or when it it is warm, you may want to find a version with a lining. Many of the Burberry coats have zip-out linings that way you can have it both ways!
Nov 29, 2008, 2:33pm   #6
m
Thanks for your replies everyone: this is the coat I am considering:

Only the shoulders and sleeves are lined, and it is definielty not a cold-weather piece. It looks nice on the model and my primary concern is whether it would snag rather than drape over my clothes.
Nov 29, 2008, 2:45pm   #7
It depends upon the climate in which you live (or travel to) If it's a removable lining it makes the coat so much more versatile.
Nov 29, 2008, 2:52pm   #8
m
I live in the snow belt, so it would be a spring/summer/fall rain-coat only. Even with a lining, (and I assume you mean an insulated lining,) it wouldn't be suitable for the winter here.

My query is about standard silk/satin lining that coats/jackets usually have, not the warm lining that zips out.
Nov 29, 2008, 2:52pm   #9
m
Perhaps I need to focus my cash on something more versatile in general though, not something that can't go all-seasons... hmmm
Nov 29, 2008, 7:19pm   #10
Originally Posted by memory
I live in the snow belt, so it would be a spring/summer/fall rain-coat only. Even with a lining, (and I assume you mean an insulated lining,) it wouldn't be suitable for the winter here.

My query is about standard silk/satin lining that coats/jackets usually have, not the warm lining that zips out.
FWIW, I used my Burberry (long one, with removable wool lining) winters in Michigan and New Jersey. I didn't hike a mile in it in 0 degrees, LOL, but I woreit for business (drove around to accounts), and to church, friends, etc. Didn't stay outside for hours in it; for that I had my full-length Primaloft insulated LL Bean (or some stor like that) coat
Nov 30, 2008, 3:13pm   #11
by the sea
I have a couple of trench coats that are only partially lined, as you describe, and I love them. The lack of lining is no problem/issue at all in how the coat hangs and wears. If you like the coat, go for it.
Nov 30, 2008, 3:55pm   #12
s
that's a beautiful coat. If you aren't wearing it in winter and it looks good on you, I would get it. It is a classic style.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Accessorize Yourself The Wardrobe