Home > >

Should I alter an old fur or not???

POST A REPLY

Dec 11, 2011, 8:34am   #16
Eva1991
Originally Posted by mundodabolsa
I would definitely do it, my mom and I have several furs from my grandmother that we want to have remade for us but we can't pull the trigger.

but I'm not sure how you alter things if you need them larger? is that even possible?

It actually is! When you redisign a fur, they cut it into large pieces - as I was told- and sew them together again, form scratch, to make the design you've ordered. Plus, the fur-tailor told me he might need to add some fur, if I want it larger. Right now the fur is below the knee and I probably will ask for a knee-length fur or even shorter, so I guess he can use the remaining fur to add to the sleeves.
Dec 11, 2011, 8:43am   #17
Eva1991
Originally Posted by Flip88
Incidentally, when I was 20, I too occasionally worn a full length mink - generally 'dressed up' to the theater, etc. I remember felling absolutely divine!

When I wear it to see how it fits I feel great too!!! I feel like some sort of queen! LOL The softness of the material, the way it embraces the body... it's just beyond words! I adore it, that's why when my mum offered it, I said yes.

The thing is that I've never seen a non-celeb 20-year old girl wear fur in real life and that's what made me hesitate at first. I thought that I was too young for having a fur coat. Though I believe that luxury isn't only for older women, it seems that I can't apply it to myself. I'm a very shy person and don't wanna be considered a "snob" because I wear fur at my 20s. I pay a lot of attention to "what people think" though I know I shouldn't! That's the main reason I asked this question here on tpf! I knew that since we're all fashion-lovers and can appreciate designer and unique pieces, I could get an honest answer! I'm glad I've read that a lot of you have worn fur in their 20s! I'm not alone, I guess! LOL
Dec 11, 2011, 9:05am   #18
Flip88
I can understand your point - I suspect that even the most confident people do in fact care what others think. Anyone that is "into" fashion and style will appreciate that a fur can be worn by anybody. I suspect that one of the reasons why younger girls tend not to wear a real fur coat is the price. It cannot really be because they don't like the idea of it - faux fur is everywhere.

Really, I hope it works out for you and let us know how you get on.

Originally Posted by Eva1991
When I wear it to see how it fits I feel great too!!! I feel like some sort of queen! LOL The softness of the material, the way it embraces the body... it's just beyond words! I adore it, that's why when my mum offered it, I said yes.

The thing is that I've never seen a non-celeb 20-year old girl wear fur in real life and that's what made me hesitate at first. I thought that I was too young for having a fur coat. Though I believe that luxury isn't only for older women, it seems that I can't apply it to myself. I'm a very shy person and don't wanna be considered a "snob" because I wear fur at my 20s. I pay a lot of attention to "what people think" though I know I shouldn't! That's the main reason I asked this question here on tpf! I knew that since we're all fashion-lovers and can appreciate designer and unique pieces, I could get an honest answer! I'm glad I've read that a lot of you have worn fur in their 20s! I'm not alone, I guess! LOL
Dec 11, 2011, 11:01am   #19
e
e_nmn_m
I'm going to share my personal observations, and if they help you, great. If not, please disregard. :)

Once upon a time, whenever I saw women wearing fur, it was unbuttoned. I wondered why. And then I started wearing my inherited mink, and I found out why: that fur is insanely warm. It has to drop into the 20s for me to want to button it up. But by then, my bottom half (it's hip length) has gotten really cold. So, for me, my mink isn't really versatile. It either keeps me too warm or doesn't provide enough coverage.

If I buy another fur, it will either be a shorter lighter shearling, or full length mink. Of course, the latter will only be useful for 2 months of the year!

So, depending upon your body chemistry and location, you might want to think about alterations in a different way. Maybe use the fur for trim. Or a vest. Or a hat. Or buy more fur and make it full-length.

Just some things to keep in mind. Let us know how it turns out.
Dec 11, 2011, 11:40am   #20
P
Prada_Princess
I am glad you decided on a "yes" - you will feel a million dollars!

Oh! Thank you for encouraging me! I think encouragement was all I wanted!!!!!!

I'll definately get it redisigned (I'm in touch with a great tailor specialized in furs - he said he can do anything I ask!). I'm thinking of having it shortened at the knee.
Dec 11, 2011, 1:49pm   #21
suzi30052002
Go for it. I started with 16 with a humble rabbit. My first mink came when I was 23. Could be earlier. I wear all the furs casually plus I prefer the knee length. I did have a full length but then the fur is too heavy and difficult to move. I altered the coat to the knee length and I am happier now. I wear them with jeans and silk blouse. I like to combine cheap and expensive things together. Mostly I do not think too much what to wear I just grab my favourites I feel comfortably with and go.
Attached Images

Dec 11, 2011, 2:13pm   #22
suzi30052002
The three dead animals I own….black, light brown, dark brown mink.
Attached Images

Dec 11, 2011, 2:52pm   #23
Perfect Day
Originally Posted by suzi30052002
Go for it. I started with 16 with a humble rabbit. My first mink came when I was 23. Could be earlier. I wear all the furs casually plus I prefer the knee length. I did have a full length but then the fur is too heavy and difficult to move. I altered the coat to the knee length and I am happier now. I wear them with jeans and silk blouse. I like to combine cheap and expensive things together. Mostly I do not think too much what to wear I just grab my favourites I feel comfortably with and go.
Wow! Great collection of furs and you wear them so well. The minks are just divine.
Dec 11, 2011, 3:35pm   #24
Flip88
ALL of your furs look gorgeous. A trio of minks makes me VERY jealous!
Dec 11, 2011, 5:23pm   #25
mundodabolsa

It actually is! When you redisign a fur, they cut it into large pieces - as I was told- and sew them together again, form scratch, to make the design you've ordered. Plus, the fur-tailor told me he might need to add some fur, if I want it larger. Right now the fur is below the knee and I probably will ask for a knee-length fur or even shorter, so I guess he can use the remaining fur to add to the sleeves.
that makes sense, I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm curious to see the end result, you'll have to post pictures for us!
Dec 12, 2011, 3:51am   #26
Eva1991
Thank you suzi for the great pics! You have an amazing fur collection and I love the way you style every piece! The epitome of class!
Dec 13, 2011, 3:54am   #27
P
Prada_Princess
OMG .... an array of gorgeous furs! I am a fellow furbie too. I got my first fur when I was 17 (or 18 perhaps) and it was a rabbit jacket. I loved that jacket. I got my first mink for my 21st birthday and I still have it. In England fur was not that popular too (although it is much more popular nowadays).

Suzi - your minks are beautiful and the way you wear them is very flatterring to you. I see a gap though which should be filled with a grey (or saphire) mink. Then your collection will be fully complete :) Seriously - your furs are beautiful.

Dec 13, 2011, 7:20am   #28
Elsie87
Glamazon

The "caring about what people think" gets better as you get older. At least it did for me, haha! I came to a point where I realised that it's never going to be good enough for everyone, so I just wear what I like, and try not to care what people think. What does it matter anyway? Do what makes you happy; it's only clothes after all!

I think you made the right decision about the coat. Can't wait for the pics!
Jul 12, 2012, 11:41am   #29
william_st_girl
My mum loves fur coats, she has a lot of them and she wants to hand me down one of hers to alter it (I'm taller than her - she's 5.2 and I'm 5.6 - and more curvier).

I'm thinking about it though... I've tried the coat on and it really looks great on me, plus it's pretty warm. I'm OK with wearing fur as well.

What bothers me though is that I'm pretty young (soon to be 21). Do you think I should start wearing fur at 21 or not? I've seen a lot of celebs in their 20's wearing fur but I wonder if it's too extravagant (since I'm not a celeb) LOL. There are occasions in my life though that I could wear a fur coat, like when we get invited to receptions, going to the Opera and other "fancy" places.

What do you think???
Just to rekindle an old thread I stumbled across! What actually happened in the end with your coat? What did you get done with it? Pics please!

Oh and just to add to the others points of before... you can be any age to wear fur... but I defo think younger people are better in maybe shorter length furs!
Jul 12, 2012, 12:25pm   #30
william_st_girl
The three dead animals I own….black, light brown, dark brown mink.
LOL had to laugh at the text you started this collection of pics off with!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >