Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Shelf life of laundry detergent?

POST A REPLY

Aug 30, 2011, 3:21pm   #1
wetbandit42
It's all uncharted
Sorry if this is not the right place for this thread, but it seemed like the appropriate place.

Is the shelf life of laundry detergent only 2-3 months? I got a printout of a handy man's newsletter under my door from my apartment leasing office and it says the shelf life of laundry detergent is only 2-3 months. That can't be right, can it? The stuff in the store must be sitting there that long!
Aug 30, 2011, 4:00pm   #2
DC-Cutie
2-3 months has got to be wrong. I'm thinking at least a year, probably even longer. Like shampoo and conditioner.
Aug 30, 2011, 5:15pm   #3
w
wild flower
I don't think soap goes bad, I've never heard of that.
Aug 30, 2011, 10:08pm   #4
I
IrishLuckyCharm
It does break down and start to separate after a while. The guideline I go by is 2 years for liquid, stored away from heat and sunlight.
Aug 30, 2011, 10:17pm   #5
juneping
couch potato-ing
2-3 months is awfully short. i would say 1 year?
Aug 30, 2011, 10:31pm   #6
Vinyl
I bought a jug of liquid detergent in freshman year (fall '08) & am still using it to this day. It's totally fine. I store it in a cool & dry area.
Aug 31, 2011, 12:50am   #7
wetbandit42
It's all uncharted
Thanks everyone! I thought that had to be wrong. I mean, who buys a new bottle of laundry detergent every month?

I usually buy the biggest container they have, and they usually last me a year or so. I keep them in my closet and they seem to clean my clothes effectively after a year.
Aug 31, 2011, 9:47am   #8
hoppus37
I believe it is 6 months after is has been opened and a year if it has not. I would just look to see if there are any particles floating at the bottom- that means a solution has expired.
Aug 31, 2011, 11:47pm   #9
wetbandit42
It's all uncharted
Originally Posted by hoppus37
I believe it is 6 months after is has been opened and a year if it has not. I would just look to see if there are any particles floating at the bottom- that means a solution has expired.
I had no idea about this. Thanks!
Sep 3, 2011, 12:52pm   #10
loves
i'm loving it
My detergent doesn't last that long, I wash my towels, kitchen and bath very often! Clothes too. My washing machine is used almost daily!

But I agree with the rest, a year perhaps.
Sep 4, 2011, 3:47am   #11
s
shopbunny
what a good question. It usually takes me AT LEAST 3 months to finish a box of detergent. Sometimes 6 months.

as far as I know, soap doesn't go bad. especially powdered soap. i would definitely NOT toss the detergent after 2-3 months. in the worst case scenario, just try it out and if it cleans good, keep using it!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >