Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Re-making a fur coat into a new design?

POST A REPLY

Oct 22, 2008, 10:39pm   #1
f
floridagal23
I have a couple of older fur coats from my grandmother and I want to have one remade into a shorter jacket. I know I need to go somewhere special to do it but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to someone who specializes in it or if any of the bigger for companies deal with remaking things.

No flames, please! I would not buy a new fur, but these are really special to me and I'd like to be able to enjoy them.
Oct 23, 2008, 2:50pm   #2
s
snibor
If you have a reputable "furrier" near you take it in and have them look at it. Sometimes older furs cannot be modified as they are too dried out. Only a person specializing in fur can tell you. If they can do something with it, they will probably give you ideas or tell you to look around to see what style you like.

Great idea to update it!
Oct 23, 2008, 3:40pm   #3
Deelove82
I just had a fur that I got from my grandmother made into a new design. I went to a reputable store that specializes in furs. (But since I live in Germany the name won't be of much use for you, right?)
They did a good job, but it was pretty expensive (2600€).
Oct 23, 2008, 4:39pm   #4
grayxie
NOMtacular!
I have a couple of furs from my grandmother, and took them to one of the chain furriers to talk about the possibilities. It's quite pricey, so I'm holding off on that alteration for now.
Oct 23, 2008, 5:23pm   #5
L
Little_Girly
Euro2600???? You could get a decent new one for that price!!! Seems very expensive to me but yeah most furriers will sort out a re-design.

Found a couple of links

http://restyleyourfur.com/

http://www.embrys.com/restyle.html

http://www.mcastoriafur.com/html/restyle.htm
Oct 23, 2008, 6:19pm   #6
grayxie
NOMtacular!
^^It's true, the cost to restyle you might as well buy a new one. The thing with me is that I normally wouldn't wear/buy a fur coat, it's the sentiment behind it. My grandmother loved her coats, and I feel I would be honoring her joy of them by continuing to wear them.
Oct 24, 2008, 12:29pm   #7
f
floridagal23
Thank you, everyone. I did have someone look at it and they said it wasn't dried out, so I am definitely going to contact a big carrier and see what they recommend doing.

Grayxie, I feel the same way :)
Oct 24, 2008, 4:39pm   #8
yslalice
on the avenue
There was a great Vogue article several years ago about one woman's journey through fur restyling. She restyled her mom's old 70s fur into a short rocker jacket with leather trim and "mad fox" accents. The best part was the new lining had a poem that her mother loved embroidered into it.
I want to say Barneys did the restyling in the article, but I'm not sure. It could have also been Bergdorf's.
I think it's a wonderful thing to restyle the furs that mean something to you. I'd love to see before and after pics!
Oct 25, 2008, 7:41am   #9
L
Little_Girly
YSLalice - I remember (vaguely) that article, sounds perfect
Oct 25, 2008, 9:55am   #10
V
Vegas Long Legs
Traveler
I had my
fischer brown turned into a throw & pillows (attached arms together for long pillow) for the master bed. Coat was too warm for Vegas. Also going to use some of the scraps for the cuff on a big christmas stocking I'm having made.
Now I'm getting some use out of my coat which sat at the furrier in cold storage for years. This was not expesive at all to have done compared taking an old coat & redesigning it. Maybe $300.00 total. Used the lining of the coat, throw even has my initials on it.
Oct 25, 2008, 2:03pm   #11
anneonimiss
Borifying
^What fantastic ideas!
Oct 25, 2008, 4:56pm   #12
grayxie
NOMtacular!
That reminds me, some places can make keepsake bears out of an old coat if you don't think it will be something you will wear.
Mar 15, 2012, 6:10pm   #13
k
kijijiprincess
I have been purchasing vintage/used fur coats for the past 2 years. I have been restyling the coats (mostly mink and easy to work with) into jackets, vests, throws, scarves, and purses. Ladies are always complimenting the new restyled product. I have had a great deal of attention from the purses and scarves. These accessories don't carry the same political incorrectness as a coat or vest. I absolutely love the throw I made for my couch, it is so warm and looks amazing!

My mother had her mink coat restyled for about $1,000. It looked beautiful, but I feel she was overcharged.
Mar 15, 2012, 10:10pm   #14
Jujuma
Originally Posted by kijijiprincess
I have been purchasing vintage/used fur coats for the past 2 years. I have been restyling the coats (mostly mink and easy to work with) into jackets, vests, throws, scarves, and purses. Ladies are always complimenting the new restyled product. I have had a great deal of attention from the purses and scarves. These accessories don't carry the same political incorrectness as a coat or vest. I absolutely love the throw I made for my couch, it is so warm and looks amazing!

My mother had her mink coat restyled for about $1,000. It looked beautiful, but I feel she was overcharged.
Would live to see pics!
Mar 15, 2012, 11:24pm   #15
dreamlet
I am looking for a place to do this as well! Does anyone know of a furrier in California or on the West Coast?

Thx!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >