Home Accessorize Yourself The Wardrobe

Ok fashionistas, tell me, how to I wear my long cardigan?

POST A REPLY

Dec 3, 2008, 6:47pm   #1
I just got a long sleeve, hip length black cardigan on sale at J.crew.
But I don't really know what to wear with it.

Can you give me some ideas?
I usually wear jeans and James Perse-ish shirts or dresses.

TIA!
Dec 3, 2008, 7:19pm   #2
Yes please!
I have a longer black cardigan that I got from Old Navy and I usually pair it w/dark colored fitted jeans, black boots and wear a tank top underneath it or else a blouse that has a print... Also, you could pair it w/colored leggings and tall boots would look really cute! Don't forget a colored scarf, accessories are always a plus!
Dec 4, 2008, 7:27pm   #3
I really wish I had a good pair of boots, darn. I like your suggestion of dark jeans and scarf CoachGirl12, I have those things! Is belting cardigans still in?
Dec 4, 2008, 7:38pm   #4
D
Originally Posted by csewallh
I just got a long sleeve, hip length black cardigan on sale at J.crew.
But I don't really know what to wear with it.

Can you give me some ideas?
I usually wear jeans and James Perse-ish shirts or dresses.

TIA!
Does it cover your butt or not? I would wear a plain white tee, skinny jeans, a pair of tall boots and throw that over with maybe a belt of some sort to accentuate the waist a bit. But I wouldn't belt the cardigan...just the long tee that I'm wearing underneath the cardigan.
Last edited Dec 4, 2008 at 7:39pm. Reason: Adding something
Dec 4, 2008, 7:42pm   #5
It doesn't cover my, slightly ample, booty. So I think leggings are out of the question.
Demi, so belt the tee, not the cardigan, better idea.
Dec 5, 2008, 1:50am   #6
D
^^ Yeah definitely. Belting the cardigan is a bit dated. Belting the tee and letting the cardigan flow is giving you a waist with a relaxed look. At the same time you could also dress it up for the evening depending on the shirt you wear underneath and the belt you choose, along with a pair of fitting slacks or dressy jeans and a pair of heels.
Dec 5, 2008, 7:11am   #7
I Feel Pretty!
I have a grey long cardigan and I usually wear it w/ a tank or american apparel T and a Tolani scarf.
Dec 5, 2008, 11:43am   #8
D
^^ Oooh...that's another great idea!
Dec 5, 2008, 1:33pm   #9
i have a long cardigan from club monaco and i wore it with the white ruffle henley tee from jcrew a couple days and got lots of compliments.
Dec 5, 2008, 6:05pm   #10
I just got a white ruffle shirt from J.crew too! So, I'm thinking white ruffle tee, black cardigan and dark skinny jeans with black flats (I wish I had boots ). Thanks ladies!
Dec 5, 2008, 6:09pm   #11
Ma to the d@mn D-E-A
I usually wear my cardigans with flats or flat boots, skinny jeans (or fitted jeans) and a plain T-shirt (long sleeve or short). Sometimes I put a scarf on too.
Dec 5, 2008, 11:10pm   #12
Drat, I've been belting the cardigan! I have a giant Chanel cardigan and I'm swimming in it, so by throwing a belt on it seems to fit better.

So, any advice I'd give you isn't maybe going to help you. Of course, you could always be my fellow over-belter.
Dec 6, 2008, 2:42am   #13
I also like to wear it over a shorter dress
Dec 6, 2008, 11:59am   #14
i'm a..
Made this for you!

http://www.polyvore.com/how_to_wear_...set?id=5035883

My three looks-

1) Going out- dressing down a slightly dressy-dress.
2) Wear to Work
3) Casual w/Jeans

*Avoid stereotypical colour combos w/ black (pink+black, red+black, yellow+black, etc) And use unique colours! (And more than one!) This will give the look depth rather than looking so colour-blocked and amateur.

*Add texture! A simple cardigan gets lost and can look messy if you're just wearing layers upon layers of cotton and boringness.

Hope this helps!
Last edited Dec 6, 2008 at 12:02pm.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Accessorize Yourself The Wardrobe